Niepoort Redoma 2003

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Niepoort Redoma 2003

Post by Frederick Blais »

Opaque ruby/purple color fading towards ruby on the edge. The nose is quite open with field berries, red cherries and some raisinny flavours coming probably from overipe berries. The palate is bold, great power on the entry, acidity is striking with nicely grain tannins, the fruit has enough concentration at this moment to keep those 2 elements in harmony. Flavours of licorice, blueberries, blackberries and sun dried plums leading a nice cherry/chocolate finish. Though the fruit is not as fresh as Redoma is normally showing, I like the structure a lot, the acidity is great too. It reminds me a lot of what the 97 was showing in its youth. A dry wine with Port flavours that will evolve well but will stay concentrated and ripe. 16.5/20+?

Will see how it evolves, in my opinion it is not a disapoiting Redoma but it is not showing as good as the release since 2001 and still it is a very good wine.