2003 Allesverloren Reserve Port (South Africa)

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2003 Allesverloren Reserve Port (South Africa)

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A tasting note taken on 28 July 2007 from a bottle open in the BA lounge at Johannesburg airport. It's not known how long the bottle had been open.
Deep red, pinker rim, but no purple as might be expected from the age. The brandy glass the wine was served in concentrated the alcohol a little too much but underneath this is a lovely smell of fresh cut grass and stewed plums. Initial impact into the mouth is smooth and balanced, a little sweetness and prune juice but a lot of acidity to give structure. The fruit just floods through on the mid-palate but there is a hint of the citrus that Allesverloren takes on when it has been open for a long time. The aftertaste is warm and full of sweet oranges and milk chocolate, which takes its time to fade away gently. Thoroughly enjoyable, but not a stellar vintage port - but fabulous value for money at £5.65 a bottle. 3/3 on Tom's scale or 87/100.
Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Deep red, pinker rim...
As I read this my mind lapsed into seeth effrikan..

Tom :D
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

I can only drink it out the fridge. OK, I could drink it warm on a veranda in SA looking at an awesome view! Not convinced by the citric bit.