1937 Gonzalez Byass Coronation sherry

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1937 Gonzalez Byass Coronation sherry

Post by uncle tom »

One of two bought at Straker C's for a pittance earlier this year.

Very decayed label and heavily encrusted bottle.

I offered it (on loan) to the new landlord of one of my local pubs as one of a number of odd non-port bottles from my cellar - to occupy the top shelf behind the bar and serve as a 'talking point'.

He then mentioned that his father-in-law would be 70 today, and would be in the pub - what an excuse!

Bottle had a driven, branded cork, most of which came out, but the bottom quarter crumbled. I decanted the bottle.

The wine was in perfect condition - medium sweet, and treacle in colour - a delight to look at, smell and taste.

Everyone was very impressed - not least the birthday boy, who had no prior warning!

- and I still have another bottle!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Hurray!

Post by jdaw1 »

Hurray! Such bargains are always a joy.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It's always nice to see an old man enjoying himself.

Great news, Tom, I'm glad you enjoyed it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,
A wonderful b-day gift. I've not have a lot of sherry, but I've enjoyed those I have had and they are a bargain to boot. Glad you enjoyed it.