Taittinger 1996 and NV

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Taittinger 1996 and NV

Post by jdaw1 »

Two bottle of Taittinger champagne bought by wife’s friend and oenophile Renée Suzanne Harris. Champagne lies outside by usual parish, so please forgive the inadequacy of these scribbles.
  • Comptes de Champagne Taittinger 1996, Blanc de Blancs (= Chardonnay), costing $130. Pale yellow green, healthy streams of small bubbles. Of the two it was far more acidic. Slightly richer, more acidic. Pear, maybe.
  • Champagne Taittinger, non-vintage, costing $43. Fuller nose, less green — maybe a tiny hint of red in the colour. Bubbles fewer and larger. The absence of acid made it, in my initial judgement, a better wine, but as the bottles diminished my preference shifted to the better mouth-feel of the 1996, in particular the softer bubbles.
Value for money: non-vintage please.

Also see the tasting on the same evening of Warre 1977.

There will be photos of the bottle fronts, but only when I get back to my main computer, to which the camera can be connected. Subscribe to this thread to be notified thereof.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Taittinger pictures

Post by jdaw1 »