1997 Beaune 1er cru Domaine de Saux

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1997 Beaune 1er cru Domaine de Saux

Post by KillerB »

Looking through the cellar tonight I found this and decided it must be ripe. I have absolutely no idea where it came from, really none at all.

It's patently Burgundy, based on the bottle, the colour, the nose and the fact that Beaune is in Burgundy.

There was more grit in the bottom than a thong on Brighton beach, so decanting was a bit of a giggle. Colour was a nice shade of raspberryade and very consistent, straggly legs but very pretty. Nose has a good earthy barnyard about it with some sharp strawberries. In the mouth it is very earthy with nice body and wild strawberries. This is the epitome of a mid-level Pinot Noir, genuinely enjoyable with good depth.

I would be happy to pay around £20 - £30 for a bottle like this but can't think when I did. There appears to be a brother, and I look forward to it.
Port is basically a red drink