ABC

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

ABC

Post by uncle tom »

I think it was Broadbent who promoted the aide memoire "Anything But Chardonnay" - for those trying to make some basic sense of the range of whites in the supermarkets.

Unfortunately another US TV acronym seems to have triumphed, and many shelves seem stacked on the NBC theory - Nothing But Chardonnay.. :roll:

But there are exceptions...

Enjoyed an Oyster Bay yesterday - a 2006 NZ Sauvignon Blanc - currently on offer at Waitrose for £5.99, - and worth every penny.

A really fresh tasty bottle, and the sort of wine that needs to be drunk as young as possible.

Enjoy!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Tom

I will agree that is a nice one.

I have had great luck with NZ Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborogh region, nice, dependable, and dirt cheap. Even the cheapest of these wines has at least some redeeming quality. If it says Marlborough on it I'll pick up a bottle without worrying about it.

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Anybody that believes ABC or NBC is a numpty. Chardonnay is the greatest of the white wine grapes. It makes many of the greatest whites in the World and is in the vast majority of Champagnes and many other sparkling wines. However, it also makes some of the worst wines I've ever tasted. Annoying, both extremes can be found in all parts of teh World with Australia and the US giving us some of the great extremes.

As with all of the infinitive statements, they are rubbish. Note how America stopped drinking Merlot after Sideways came out. Miles, the alcoholic pillock, says he hates what has happened to Merlot, Americans stop drinking Merlot. Great, give us all of that Pomerol that you bought en primeur at a clearance price (too late - all drunk within two weeks of delivery).
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I think its along the same vein, but what I hate, is when a Supermarket, suggests a wine is a steal. Used to be £20, now £7.99. You get it home and internet it, and find that some company you've never heard of, has an exclusive deal with the Supermarket you've just been in.
Its been at the High price for the legal requirement, and then catches out my Poor Deborah, who thinks she's bought me a bargain!

Time to line them all up against the wall...

Alan
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

No merlot? God forbid! This is one American who saw the movie but had already tasted some nice merlot and could not be swayed. Did you notice the irony that the wine he was most proud to have in his cellar was Cheval Blanc?

I am a big fan of Tropolong Mondot for one (1995 for example), and Peby Faugeres for another (when I'm going all Bordeaux style). If you want to try a mindblowing California merlot try the Pride Mountain Vinyards 2001 merlot or the Verite "La Muse" 2001. But be sure to save some because they have a long life ahead of them.

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Jay - it was no irony. He had stated that it was a great grape of Bordeaux but was abused. Most of America missed the point and thought that he meant Merlot was a rubbish grape... and believed it to be true. Irony, maybe, only in that most people wouldn't know the connection but would still follow the misguided doctrine.

The sad sight of him slugging his Cheval Blanc, on his own, from a plastic cup whilst he had refused to be Best Man for Jack showed the nadir that he'd reached. An atypical Hollywood ending - nice.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Sideways!!!

I thought you lot were on about some genuine, massive American wine critic! I actually searched for 'Miles Wine Critic'.
Now I know your on about that Gooky film! I actually enjoyed the film, its the nearest the Americans have ever got to one of those French Films that tells you about a snapshot of human nature, without having an overly interesting story attached, and no hype.
Was that big in America? If yes, you do surprise me.
And that has effected wine choice? Unbelievable!

At least I know what your on about now, :D

Alan
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Yes, it was a surprise (and very profitable) hit in America. Yes, they did take him seriously. I agree, I liked it as well, many other winos don't like it because they take themselves and the subject too seriously.