2016 The Liberator Episode 9 Revisited

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2016 The Liberator Episode 9 Revisited

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This is a Calitzdorp (South Africa) based Cape Vintage wine from Boplaas, fortified to 18%. See this link for more details.

Hints of magenta on the rim; looking to be in late babyhood. Herbs and fruit on the nose; fresh fruit that is sweet and ripe. Amazingly light and spritely on the palate with sweet black currant and a lovely acidity. Tannins are very smooth. The flavours are wonderfully persistent on the aftertaste and finish with the black currant merging into a strawberry finish that is kept fresh and lively by the acidity. Great length. A wonderful fresh alternative to Port. 90/100. Drunk 20-Oct-18.

Available @ £19 from Bin Two in Padstow, Cornwall.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2016 The Liberator Episode 9 Revisited

Post by DaveRL »

My Mother-in-Law has just given me a bottle of this for Christmas. Her local independent wine shop (Beverley) suggested it as they thought I would likely have tried most of their Ports. Having read your tasting note I'm even more intrigued. I'm inclined to keep it at least a few years before opening, or do you think it better to drink sooner rather than later?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Boplaas make excellent fortified wines from grape varieties also grown in the Douro. I'd put this particular offering on a par with a really good ruby, like the Port Society's Finest Reserve — a fortified wine which will reward a decade of patience, but which will probably not really change much for the decade after that.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Thanks. Most helpful. I'll wait a little then, bit not too long. :)