Sherry Advice.

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Sherry Advice.

Post by Doggett »

I have long wished to educate myself about Sherry, but have never got round to it. Other than the odd glass at Christmas and some complimentary glasses after meals in some
Spanish restaurants, I am afraid I have very little experience. There is an outside chance I will have a day trip to Jerez at the end of March so would like to get myself more acquainted in the next few weeks.

I would very much appreciate any recommendations on styles and any particular sherries to look out for to try. I am intrigued by the old sherries and wondered if it is better to look out for a vintage or for an aged sherry in the way that Tawny is done.

Any thoughts and help gratefully received.

Simon
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Re: Sherry Advice.

Post by Old Bridge »

Try http://www.sherrynotes.com/ by Ruben Luyten, Belgium.
He covers basics to advanced, and also gives recomendations. I bought some of the rec. last year, and was not disappointed.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Old Bridge wrote: 05:40 Wed 08 Mar 2017 Try http://www.sherrynotes.com/ by Ruben Luyten, Belgium.
He covers basics to advanced, and also gives recomendations. I bought some of the rec. last year, and was not disappointed.
Thank you for the tip... looks like a good site.
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by Old Bridge »

You’re welcome, and it is a good site.
If you are interested in whisky, Ruben is on to that as well.
https://www.whiskynotes.be/
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

I was never that interested in whisky, maybe a single malt a couple of times a year. But I recently went to Scotland to stay with some relatives of my wife, and was given various glasses of nectar from the Scotch Malt Whiskey Society to try. All of them were 55% alcohol or more and they were an utter revelation! Nothing like any whisky I have experienced before. They were all utterly beautiful, especially cask 7.132 and cask 46.39. Such complexity of flavours, sweetness, smooth balance and heat, but not the heat I expected for the alcohol. Pure yumminess. So whisky is now on the list of things to experience more too :-)
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by Old Bridge »

46 Glenlossie I have not tried, but 7 Longmorn is one of my favourite distilleries.
We have a state monopoly on alcohol in Norway so no SMWS bottlings here, but the choise is quite good, but rather pricey.
You might start to widen your horizon even more, as far as drinks are concerned then?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Always happy to broaden my horizons... there are so many horizons and so little time!
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by Old Bridge »

https://www.whiskybase.com/whisky/81978 ... -smws-4639
https://www.whiskybase.com/whisky/83268 ... -smws-7132
Here you can find some more info about those two whiskies.
It seems that 55% ABV was an understatement.
ps I know more about whisky than sherry. So I guess slightly wrong thread.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I too wish I knew about sherry, I drink a small amount from time to time, rather shamefully I rather like sweeter styles (I have a bottle of Williams and Humbert Dry Sack open, which confusingly is not dry).

I think that the date aged wines are a relatively new invention, and I sense a slight sneering at them. I have no idea about them as I have never tried any. What I sometimes do is add a few bottles of sherry from the wine society range if I get an order from them. They have an interesting range and some remarkably expensive wines, £65 for a half bottle of Oloroso for instance.

There was a great fashion for the 'en rama' wines recently. I tried one but was a little underwhelmed by it, a wine which you are not supposed to keep but drink immediately.

I suppose the thing to do would be to buy a bit, read a bit, drink a bit. Get back to me if you have any insights as I would be keen to hear them.
Old Bridge
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by Old Bridge »

La Gitana Manzanilla En Rama is totally dry and I have drunk it with creamed cauliflower soup, very nice.
Lustau Almacenista Oloroso Pata de Gallina is very nice with spanish cured ham, Serrano or Pata Negra.
Noe Pedro Ximenez Muy Viejo is avery sweet variety. It is lovely over and with vanilla ice cream.

I think all were recommended in the sherry forum.