2011 Schodener Saarfeilser Marieenberg Riesling Spatlese troken

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

2011 Schodener Saarfeilser Marieenberg Riesling Spatlese troken

Post by LGTrotter »

I think I have managed to put the full title on, however the label also features the words "St. Urbans-hof" prominently. Also "Mosel" and "Oekonomierat nic. weis". Do I need all this? I have no idea, but I am willing to learn.

The second of two bottles Andre contributed to my education. I am delighted by this, Riesling seems to work so well with food, particularly at this time of year, (broad bean and lemon risotto, fyi) this has a touch of stonyness, rather like a Chablis, rather than minerals and petrol which I usually associate with this grape. Flowers, and a touch of astringency which is reminiscent of a meadow scent. Elderflowers? Although I am making elderflower cordial which may be influencing my nose. A very delicate wine, as Mosel wines are reputed to be.

Having gushed about this I still think the Breuer wine, which was the other one Andre gave me, was even better. Albeit in a very different style.

Where is Andre Flash asks? Tonight he is in my glass and on my mind. Thank you Andre, I have begun to buy the odd bottle of Riesling, something I would not have thought possible.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: 2011 Schodener Saarfeilser Marieenberg Riesling Spatlese troken

Post by AW77 »

First of all, you’re welcome. I’m glad you take an interest in Riesling. I’m always happy to make converts. If you shop the next time at Waitrose, try their Künstler Hochheimer Hölle Riesling. This is from the Rheingau. A region you seem to prefer over the Mosel (since you liked the Breuer one better, which is Rheingau, too).
I will post two more Riesling recommendations in the “Wine Society recommendations” thread (One from South Africa, by the way. It’s about Riesling, and not so much about German wine in particular. But since a lot of Riesling is produced quite close to where I live, I mostly know these wines.)

You almost got it right with this one. St. Urbans-Hof is the producer and Mosel is the official name of the wine region. You don’t use the name of the wine region in naming the wine (like anywhere else). Traditionally German wine classifications almost work on the same principles as in Burgundy. So you have
Vintage Producer Village Vineyard Grape variety Quality level (ripeness) Sugar level (dry, off-dry).
So in this case it’s
2011 St. Urbans-Hof Schodener (from the village of Schoden, “er” being the genitive ending) Saarfeilser Marienberg (normally it’s only a single name, but in this case the vineyard has a two-component name) Riesling Spätlese (late harvest) trocken (dry).
More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_wi ... sification

I mentioned above that the official name of the wine region is “Mosel”. Some years ago it used to be “Mosel Saar Ruwer”, which was more precise, but also more confusing. This Riesling is actually from the Saar valley. Last time I had the wine (around 2 years ago) it reminded me of freshly cut grass and also of honey. But it might have shed the honey flavour by now. I still have a bottle left and will try again next year. And it doesn’t surprise me that you compare it to Chablis. Chardonnay is low in acidity. Riesling has a lot of it when young, but looses it’s acidity with age (like red wine loses it’s tannins with time). So I guess at 5 years of age the acidity will not be that pronounced any more.

Yes, Riesling is very good with food. Just try a young Auslese with it’s exiting balance of acidity and sweetness or a mature sweet Spätlese with dessert. Or an off-dry young one or mature sweet Kabinett with spicy Asian food. Or a dry Riesling sparkler as an apéritif.

If you insist on knowing where I’ve been: it’s been a difficult 12 months for my family as grandmother (aged 92, suffering heavily from dementia for years and nursed at home) deteriorated rapidly and finally died in April. Since then we had to clear out the house and are now planning a refurbishment. So I neither had the time nor was in the mood to participate in the discussions here. Hopefully things will quiet down soon and then you will hear more from me.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port