2005 Quinta da Falorca Touriga Nacional Dao

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2005 Quinta da Falorca Touriga Nacional Dao

Post by Andy Velebil »

Picked up a 5 pack of these at auction for about $17 per, all-in. Figured at that price worth a gamble on a wine I knew nothing about. Decanted 1 hour and consumed over the following two. I was struck by how much black tar and dusty tannins there still was on this. 11 years in, usually starts to fade out by now in most wines. Not this one, it just dominates the palate. That tar was also prominent on the nose. Black fruit that belies its age. As this starts to transition to what ended up being a very long finish, some graphite and creosote make an appearance. There is plenty of acidity through out. While I planned on these being a "daily house wine" I am going to have to revisit that and put a couple of these away for longer term storage to see how they age. As I expect they should hold out another 10-15 years with ease based on this showing. One recommendation is to decant this about 3-4 hours at this point, it really needed lots of air to get going.
92(+) Points