2006 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2006 Quinta do Crasto Touriga Nacional Douro

Post by Andy Velebil »

Decanted almost 5 hours at time of this note. Initially on decanting this had an excessive amount of oak showing on the nose and the small taste I took. I came back to it, now almost 5 hours later, and a lot has changed. Though I did have a small "check in" taste between that. That oak has almost completely blown off. There is a smokey element to the soft textured palate, along with still youthful brambly blackberries and plenty of acidity. I really like the later, as that prominent acidity really gives it lift and freshness. It's a little one-dimensional on the palate which isn't so surprising given the vintage, this is a single varietal wine, and this is probably in a weird place since it was very closed up fruit-wise about 1 hour after decanting. While this vintage has been generally panned as not being all that good by some, this is proof that good wines can be made in tough vintages. I'd recommend leaving this in the cellar for a few more years and/or give it a very long decant if you open one between that time.
92+ Points