2012 Le Poiane Valpolicella Ripasso

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

2012 Le Poiane Valpolicella Ripasso

Post by djewesbury »

A deep purplish red, between deep rose madder and carmine, with a dense but not opaque core and a narrow clear rim. A lovely nose - there's a lot going on. Dominated by acids, but not simple or thin: there are the woody notes filling it out - cedar, spice, tobacco / cigar box, lean or dried beef - but then there's sherbet and graphite too, and a fresh, astringent foreground generally, with citrus rind and even some lavender, zingy notes some of which are more reminiscent of whisky. The background is dry, very dry, giving a tautness against which all this liveliness is painted.

When I finally get round to tasting it, there is a light entry at first but then a massive hit of cedar and forest floor sharpness, candied acids, and as the late palate develops peppery tannins come alive and in the long finish, late, are the beefy notes. This is a very nice, very well balanced wine, lean but powerful.
Last edited by djewesbury on 18:50 Wed 19 Aug 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: 2012 Le Polane Valpolicella Ripasso

Post by AW77 »

I'm delighted to hear that you try more Italian wines. :)
PS: I think the wine is called "Le Poiane": http://www.bolla.com/specialselections/lepoiane.html
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 2012 Le Polane Valpolicella Ripasso

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:I'm delighted to hear that you try more Italian wines. :)
PS: I think the wine is called "Le Poiane": http://www.bolla.com/specialselections/lepoiane.html
You're right! Oops. Corrected.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...