1922 D'Oliveiras Boal

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1922 D'Oliveiras Boal

Post by LGTrotter »

image.jpg
image.jpg (200.2 KiB) Viewed 2973 times
This is nice
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 1922 D'Oliveiras Boal

Post by djewesbury »

Great note. Thanks for sharing.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Great note. Thanks for sharing.
Simmer down, I opened it last night but managed to get a bit of sludge in it so I shall have to leave it for a day or two, which indeed I need to anyway to let it open up a bit.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Great note. Thanks for sharing.
Simmer down, I opened it last night but managed to get a bit of sludge in it so I shall have to leave it for a day or two, which indeed I need to anyway to let it open up a bit.
88)
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The general rule I was always taught was that for every decade in the bottle, you should leave madeira in the decanter for a week before drinking.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote:The general rule I was always taught was that for every decade in the bottle, you should leave madeira in the decanter for a week before drinking.
Sound advice which I followed.

I find madeira a difficult wine to describe, so bear with me. The smell which you get on opening an old bottle is entrancing and this had it, you could smell it from the next room. Something of mahogany, sort of convivial and inviting. It took a few days to settle down, with a piercing palate but also something less pleasant, a palm oil flavour which I have found in other D'Oliveira wines which is rather off putting. However this disappeared after a week of being open and it became easier to hold in the mouth as the piercing quality receded. And while it is clearly in a different league to the usual Madeira I drink (15yo H&H) I confess to feeling a bit underwhelmed by it. There are no faults or problems, it has a good Bual typicity (is that a word?) and a fine length and breadth but I hoped for more subtly. It is well rated by Alex Liddell who can be relied on in matters Madeira so maybe the fault is with my expectation rather than the wine.