1998 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1998 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Post by LGTrotter »

I must be getting to the end of this stash. So refined, breadth and length on the palate, I wonder if the nose is getting a bit maderised, but I think not. Hay and sweet apples on the palate, soft and refined. The mousse is becoming a little coarse, but no matter, this is still living up to expectations. While I might suggest drinking up if you have a stack of this I am tempted to leave the last few as many years as I dare because it is still a great bottle. I have no other '98 champagne but if this is anything to go by the vintage is underrated.

Mid nineties score and deserving of a quote but I can't think of one right now.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1998 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Perhaps I can offer "Great love affairs start with Champagne and end with tisane." One of my favourites.

Or EAB's favourite of "I drink champagne when I'm happy and when I'm sad. Sometimes I drink it when I'm alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I'm not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it - unless I'm thirsty."
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
griff
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by griff »

1998 was my go to vintage for a number of years. I have the Comtes at the top but I was also rather keen on Pol in all expressions. Moving onto 2008 as my next vintage to stock up on after brief but memorable flirtations with 2002 and 2004.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

griff wrote:1998 was my go to vintage for a number of years. I have the Comtes at the top but I was also rather keen on Pol in all expressions. Moving onto 2008 as my next vintage to stock up on after brief but memorable flirtations with 2002 and 2004.
I understood that the 98 was a bit of a B list vintage, but I found it a good un. I am still getting the odd half dozen of the 02s when they turn up, they are terrific, the 04 less so, Pol being shoddy and Billecart Salmon being good. I am thinking about the 05s at present... but only because that is what is around and cheaper at the moment, I have even been considering rosé, but I have no idea whether it will age. Any thoughts?