Mon 13 April 2015 - Graham in Wokingham

What happened?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Mon 13 April 2015 - Graham in Wokingham

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

On Monday 13th an unexpected visitor turned up at the front door saying "Would you like to see my new tube, young man? It's neat and small and shiny and needs a good polish. Here, grab hold of this. Hehehe."

Naturally I let him in. And since two people make a quorum I felt compelled to open a bottle of Graham 1970 in an attempt to make him feel at home - although he was forced to sit outside by the chaos inside the house.

First I served him blind a glass of Croft LBV 2004 from one of the Tesco half bottles that I had opened the previous night. With no clues, the stranger suggested that this was a Croft Roeda 2003. Not too shabby a guess. 1 point for the shipper, ½ a point for being within a year of the correct vintage.

Next I served him blind a glass of the Graham 1970. This was from a bottle that had been ullaged to mid-shoulder and was clearly more tawnified than I would have liked, but it was OK. The premature oxidation clearly fooled the stranger. He accurately said that he thought it was not as old as it appeared to be, but the guessed that it was a 1963 port from Taylor. No improvement on the 1½ points scored so far.

Later that evening the stranger put on his Gaberdene Mac and left, never giving his name and taking his neat, small, shiny tube with him. He returned to London by train and might have shown fellow passengers a glimpse of that tube. If anyone has heard of reports of a strange man running around a train from Wokingham to London, showing people what he can do with his small tube then please let me know. I feel partially responsible for his intoxicated behaviour.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.