Another Crusting Pipe Offline

What happened?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Another Crusting Pipe Offline

Post by DRT »

I have just returned to my hotel following a very enjoyable evening with Uncle Tom at the Crusting Pipe. Our usual place in the tunnel was secured on arrival and we quickly settled down to the now obligatory medium-rare rib-eye steak.

We had two very nice ports to accompany our meal. A Graham's 1983 that Tom graciously allowed me to select from his Death Row only hours before the event and another wrapped in tin(alumin(i)um)foil.

This was my first memory of having the G83 - decanted 7 hours - a fabulous Christmas Pudding aroma that was so typically Graham's. A lovely thick mouthfeel with the usual abundance of plummy fruits. This bottle was in a perfect drinking window but still showing a grippy tannic dryness that says it's got a while to go before its peak. A beautiful drink for a cold winter night.

My attempts to guess shipper and vintage of the second bottle both failed. Tom started off by declaring it was a big name and big year VP. I initially guessed Croft (wrongly) and then eliminated Taylor, Fonseca and Graham's to narrow the field. Tom helped me out when I mentioned the dryness by saying "it's not Dow's". So I guessed Warre. Wrong again, so I guessed Sandeman and got my first point.

Then to the year. Tom's clue was "slightly developed for the year". My first declaration was pre-1970 - correct. Then my brain told me 66. Tom declared that a forensic investigation of the cork was now necessary. The label revealed Sandeman 1963 but the cork looked like it might say Sandeman 1966. Being an honourable chap I decalred that I definately thought it was 63 on the cork and not 66. So, my composite guess was Croft 66 but the answer was Sandeman 63. No cigar this time :roll:

The S63 had an extremely thick and satisfying mouthfeel. Not as dark and youthful as my last two experiences of this wine but very much better than the over-the-hill bottles I have had on previous occassions. A hint of oranges revealed an advanced age but this was by no means on its way out. A very nice glass of port indeed.

Thanks, Tom

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

..and thanks for picking up the meal tab Derek!

There's not much to add to your comprehensive account, except to say that I did manage to catch the last train home this time - by the simple method of getting in to my stride and power walking (I think it took me 21 minutes) from Covent Garden to Liverpool St.

..I feel quite sober now :shock:

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I’m pleased your bottle was only a little past.

Post by jdaw1 »

Very interesting. My experiences of S63 have suggested that it is more than a little past its prime. I’m pleased your bottle was only a little past.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

To add some scores:

Both wines were players in the upper quartile, both warranting an 8 for immediate gratification.

- But they were at opposite ends of their plateau.

The G83 is just about mature now, and will probably remain so for another generation. It might improve a little yet, but probably not by much.

So score 8-8

The S63 though, while holding up, looks set for an elegant descent

So score 8-7

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill