Thirsty Third Thursdays: 1987 Faiveley

What happened?
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Thirsty Third Thursdays: 1987 Faiveley

Post by Chris Doty »

Thirsty Third Thursdays: 1987 Faiveley Terroir Tutorial

A group of ten gathered at Il Gattopardo on Thursday, September 18th 2014 to enjoy a fairly comprehensive tasting of Domaine Faiveley's 1987 harvest.

I have enjoyed Faiveley's reds for some time, and it was great luck to secure so many pristine bottles from a single-owner in Colorado.

Il Gattopardo did a fabulous job, as we enjoyed a splendid four course meal accompanied by attentive service.

Our line up included:

Jacques Defrance Prestige NV (1.5)

Corton Clos des Cortons Faiveley
Chambertin Clos de Beze
Charmes-Chambertin
Latricieres-Chambertin
Clos de Vougeot
Echezeaux
Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Clos de la Marechale"
Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les St. Georges"
Gevrey-Chambertin 1er "Cazetieres"
Gevrey-Chambertin 1er "Combe aux Moines"
Morey St. Denis 1er "Clos des Ormes"
Volnay 1er "Clos des Chenes"

All wines were served single-blind, having been opened around 6:45pm for a 7:15pm dinner. Many thanks to Jdaw for placemats/sheets/etc.

As a whole, they showed that while perhaps beyond optimal pleasure, thoughtfully-made wines from 1987 still exhibit life, complexity and a sense of individuality. I did not care especially for the Clos Chenes, which seemed beyond what may have been a short life to begin with, but I thought all other efforts had plenty of pleasure to give.

The group's wines of the night were the Charmes-Chambertin (completely stunning), the 1er Les St. Georges (value if you can find it), and the Clos de Beze (classy and delicious).

The 1er Cazetieres was served 12th (as a bonus) and was corked. It was actually sort of instructive, as it gave an opportunity to discuss textbook TCA and how to spot it.

More detailed notes may follow. We look forward to our October 16th tasting, which is likely to be held in Las Vegas!

Cheers
Chris
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Thirsty Third Thursdays: 1987 Faiveley

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote:Many thanks to Jdaw for placemats/sheets/etc.
Link to ΦΣΚ placemats.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: Thirsty Third Thursdays: 1987 Faiveley

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Wow, very cool, thanks for posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk