NYC, Friday, May 9th 2014: Quevedo in the House

What happened?
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

NYC, Friday, May 9th 2014: Quevedo in the House

Post by Chris Doty »

It was an honor and a privilege to organize a small dinner celebrating Oscar's return to NYC @ Trestle on Tenth last night.

Oscar appears to be in great form, having recently concluded a barn-burning tour of the South-Eastern United States.

In addition to Oscar and myself, we were joined by a good cast of friends including Sara, Justin, David, Brian, and Jen.

We enjoyed:
NV Nicolas Feuillatte
2011 Domaine l'Arlot Gerbotte
1982 Trapet Gevrey Chambertin
1980 Trotanoy
2011 Quevedo VP (375)
2011 Quevedo VP (750)
1940 Guedes Tawny (bottled in 1971)
1974 Quevedo Tawny (bottled in 2014) - thanks Oscar!

I think the most interesting wines were the two sizes of the 2011. I believe it was unanimous that the 375 was showing more lushness, more fruit, than the 750 - which had more power but also much more noticeable spirit. I reminded Oscar he originally didn't even want to bottle in halves - until I ordered 300! HAHAHAH. Feeling like a boss. Will be sipping my 375s until the 750s come around. My grandchildren will no doubt enjoy the Imperials. WOOOO

the 1940 was also very interesting, and was more alive than I had anticipated. Classic tawny profile of burnt sugar, maple, and candied walnut. Again, it isn't really 'my' style, but I appreciated the effort and couldn't knock the completeness of the wine.

the 1974 was showing a much fresher, fruit-forward expression, with very little of the brown character (more blood orange-y) - a great contrast.

The food and service were both excellent, as was the conversation.

Thanks Oscar for being such a stud. I look forward to scheduling my next visit to Portugal sometime soon.