June 6th NYC: Oscar and Vitor come to town tasting

What happened?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

June 6th NYC: Oscar and Vitor come to town tasting

Post by g-man »

Dinner at Jeanne and Gaston was fantastic with TPFer's Chris D, Alan S joining the fray.

We paired it with Oscar's and Vitors line up.

The meal started with cocktails of a white port cobbler and a rose port soda
This was paired with a roasted red pepper stuffed with rice.
The rose port soda needed lime to help bring it in balance but the cobbler was fantastic and i think i won some converts.
Recipe is: 1/4 part fruit juice (I prefer tropical fruits), 1 part white port, 1 part tequlia, few dashes of orange bitters.

We followed up the second course with Vitor's Gomariz Loureiro Vinho Verde paired with a water melon and lobster plate with a touch of truffle oil.
What a stunning pairing, the Loureiro being a touch fizzy, crisp and clean on the palate, made for an excellent combination with the rich buttery lobster and brought the sweetness out of the watermleon.

No meal is complete without some foie gras.
The foie was scooped into balls and rolled in duck fat roasted pistachio nuts on a bed of jelly. We had the Quevedo special reserve tawny and dare i say it that I like this pairing much better then the traditional foie gras

Veal belly, Crispy skin and Veal Jus reduction was paired with Oscars white.
I would have never have thought to pair a white wine with veal belly but my, it was glorious. Veal belly had a crispy layer of fat that just melts away and the Oscar's white has that wonderful tropical fruit note that just brings out the best of both.

Andouille and spicy sausage, beans mashed and thyme jus with Oscar's red
I didn't think it'd work but the spices go very well with Oscar's red. The touriga nacional blend offers crushed cherries in a medium body that starts the mouth salivating that when the spices and salt hit you get a great melange of sweet, salty, and spicy with a satisfying sausage with bean mash.

Pear confit and Bleu crumble with Quevedo 2006 LBV and Quevedo 2011 VP
The LBV and bleu cheese pairing is just spot on. The pears being sweeter then the port allowed the port to bring its spiciness. The bleu complemented with its salty and bitterness and the pears finished off the plate with a lovely grainy texture and honeyed sweetness.

The 2011 VP surprisingly overpowered the bleu cheese. The depth, power and body of the 2011 is truly impressive.

Molten Chocolate cake ”“ Praline crème brulee (Quevedo 1992 Colheita and Quevedo Garraferriera 1968)

What a treat, botht he 1968 and the 1992 colheitas are stunning on their own. the colheita has a nutty entry and shows some bright red fruits with lemon peel shavings. The 68 Quevedo is sugar spice and everything nice. Delicate, refined, smooth, but a nice spirit burn on the backend, it had tastes of ground ginger, powdered cinnamon, orange zest.

I have always felt chocolate went better with tawny like ports and this definitely did not disappoint.
the praline creme brulee was creamy sweet and lovely and paired excellently with both ports.

I'd like to thank Oscar and Vitor for visiting and my fellow TPFers for joining in on the food and wine fun!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV

Re: June 6th NYC: Oscar and Vitor come to town tasting

Post by JohninNYC »

This was an excellent pairing, and it was a great benefit to have the winemakers tell us about the winemaking process and the history behind the wines. I also wish to thank G-Man for organizing the dinner!
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin