A protracted white port tasting

What happened?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

A protracted white port tasting

Post by djewesbury »

We (DJ+RB) have decided to taste as many white ports as we can find locally in the next little while. Obviously white port often has a fairly poor reputation amongst drinkers of VP and it's not surprising; it's not a drink most producers take at all seriously. We tasted some really excellent aged whites at the BFT (first three entries listed below) and found them very different to what are usually very insipid drinks. We thought it was time to see whether the non-aged market has improved at all.

We'll add links to TNs here as we acquire more.
Last edited by djewesbury on 19:02 Mon 23 Sep 2013, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: A protracted white port tasting

Post by PhilW »

Interesting idea. I've only had a few white ports "raw" (as opposed to chilled with lemon or blended in pre-dinner/tasting drink of some kind) and am not a huge fan of them, generally seeming quite thin - but to be fair if they are primarily intended for mixing. However, I was quite impressed with the Dalva Golden White (1971) which I tried recently and would be interested to try their older 63 and 52 whites as a consequence. Probably not a fair addition to your "non-aged market" comparison, but I found it way ahead of the other "aged" whites you mentioned, so you could always add it to that section of your tasting as a bonus :FFCC66:
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Thanks Phil - a very good tip. I am pretty ignorant of the white stuff (hence the experiment) but there are already a couple that are standing out. On the lookout for Dalva now..
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Apparently somebody hacked in my TPF account and made posts about Cruz White and Ferreira White. `The hacker wasn’t enthusiastic.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:Apparently somebody hacked in my TPF account and made posts about Cruz White and Ferreira White. `The hacker wasn’t enthusiastic.
And to think that I was hesitant even for one moment about admitting my foibles! :roll:
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I deny everything. Nothing is true. Nothing ever has been true. I’ll have you for libel.