Ferreira V Port 1863-1927-2000

What happened?
Tyee
Cruz Ruby

Ferreira V Port 1863-1927-2000

Post by Tyee »

For my inaugural post...I thought I would submit an old tasting note.
To date, it is one of the most memorable experiences I've had with VP.

I hope posting an older event is not considered in bad form...just that its' not every day/year/decade/century you get to try a VP from 1863.
I attended this tasting in Vancouver in 2003 during a Wine Festival.

The tasting was hosted by Ferreira with winemaker Jose Maria Soares Franco giving the 3 hour presentation on Barca Velha and of course, the 3 centuries of Ferreira Port.

Now...for the notes...

I must say that the moment I entered the room the aroma that filled the air was tantalizing. There wasn't a person in the room who didn't stick their noses into the two old Ports the moment they sat down...there was just no way you could resist.
The anticipation filled the room.

2000:
This wine is inky, almost black in color it is so concentrated. The nose was incredibly floral-sweet (apparently a typical Ferreira style). The taste was soft lush plums and currant and showed suprisingly balanced and deep.
Comments were that this port would drink well early...but had enough backbone to age well.

100% of the grapes are crushed in *lagar to commence fermentation. In addition to Quinta do Seixo, Quinta da Leda a little known grape grower upriver near the Spanish border provides some of the key grapes. These include a variety of 5 or 6 clones of essential Touriga Nacional grape for Jose Soares Franco to use in his blend.

*lagar- a low-sided stone trough where grapes are trodden and fermented.

1927:
This was the baby that was throwing all the wonderful fragrance...WOW!
Medium to dark brown in color...had a nose to die for.
Dominated by candied caramel, brandy, and honey. The palate did not disappoint...it was a party!
The candied caramel-brandy-honey dance were joined by notes of tropical fruit, nuts, brown sugar, and spice...and this dance just went on and on...the finish was a marathon of caramel and brandy.
What finesse.

1863:
That's right...this is no typo...1863!
This juice was produced 4 years before Canada was born (confederation), and the year of Lincoln's emancipation of slavery.
Light brown - amber in color with some sediment.
Had a wonderful nose of caramel, honey, and pipe tobacco.
The first thing that struck me was how much acidity this still had. Caramel, raisons, honey, coffee-mocha, nuts, brandy, and vanilla...and the finish, though more subtle than the 1927, was equally long and concentrated.

What an evening! Well worth the trip and expense of $60 Cdn for the tasting.
Age is not important unless you're a Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What a great inaugrual (spelt approximately correctly) post!

Is there any chance that I could persuade you to post three separate notes in the tasting note forum? That way they will be picked up an put into the index of tasting notes that is prepared from time to time - and you would certainly hold the record for the tasting note on the oldest port!

If you do post there, please use the standard format for the title of the tasting note (it helps with the preparation of the index), which should be along the lines of:
1863 Ferreira vintage port
ie. year, shipper, type of port

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Great first post! And, as Alex points out, it would be very good to have them in the TN section.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Fantastic inaugural (:-)) posting. 1863! (One has to mention, with only mild smugness, that it came thirty years after slavery was abolished throughout the British Empire.) And please do post individual tasting notes so that you have the glory of appearing in the TN index. (And do tell me your initials, as the TN index so labels contributors.)