At my fathers

What happened?
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

At my fathers

Post by Simon Lisle »

Firstly a corked Chateau Palmer 1970 undrinkable but I brought along the Prunier 1928 my last bottle Alex would love this wine,The colour of a hot summer's harvest day warm and glowing sweet nuts malty with a long finish which ends with a hint of age.I just wish I had another two cases this wine has never disapointed.My father had already pulled port and decanted from my stocks he keeps without consultation :shock: .Tasted together 1960 Grahams,1963 Offley.Firstly the Grahams my father before tasting this already proclaimed this the winner then he tasted ooh a bit over the hill he said where has the fruit gone, I said but dad you last tasted this twenty years ago.It to me was well on the slide but one thing that shone was the strong minty mid palate.3.5/2 Toms scale.Then the Offley his face widened into a smile this is how I remember how a port should taste he said sweet plenty of fruit but a little short on finish.I asked him for a Tom scale mark he said 7/7 I would maybe agree.
My christmas port was a bit disapointing 1968 niepoort colheita of all the good bottles of port he keeps for me this was the one he picked I have two at home and intended on opening one soon.To be honest after the intense Burmester colheita 1900 recently opened with Derek this seemed very weak still some flavour there but nothing to write home about I'm glad it never cost that much.3/3
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Simon,

Great reviews and comments - pity about the corked Palmer as that is a lovely wine (on the rare occasions when I have had it).
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.