Belfast - 15th November 2015

What happened?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This post reserved for the host to describe the context of the evening.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Belfast - 15th November 2015

Post by DRT »

A very enjoyable evening indeed with some fine wines and a good meal shared with Daniel, Rachel, Alistair and Mildred.

Unusually for tastings reported on this forum there was only one Port consumed - Churchill's Agua Alta 1987. This showed very well for what it is. I found it a little imbalanced in terms of high acidity and slightly stewed fruit but neither of those characteristics were overpowering and it is an enjoyable wine at its price point.

There were a number of clarets on the table, the best being a Pontet Canet 1978, which was beautiful.

In addition to a very fine Gran Cru Chablis and a couple of clarets, Alistair provided some curiosities including a "Roman wine" seemingly produced in a style similar to that used in those times. Very interesting, if not exactly my preferred style.

I provided a Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904 2001 which survived the turbulent flight from Manchester and seemed to be well received by the other attendees.

Thank you to Daniel for nearly organising a tasting next week, and successfully organising this substitute event.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This thread was discussed more than once during the evening.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I was originally scheduled to have a tasting this coming weekend (Nov 21st), but many factors combined to make this impossible. Derek being in the country, I contacted Alistair and Mildred, friends in the NI Wine & Spirits Institute for whom I've organised port tastings in the past, and Rachel came along as well. We had a small selection for the five of us:
I didn't take notes but the next day I had a headache.
It was a great shame that Justin was unavoidably unable to join us, but we expect to meet up soon and make up for this.
Last edited by djewesbury on 17:59 Thu 19 Nov 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:This thread was discussed more than once during the evening.
I think I might have been wrong about something but since I can't remember what, it never really happened.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...