What happened?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Tue 21 July 2015, Boot & Flogger, an Emergency

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:Not a bad round of guesses; I note that the scorer denied Charles his winning point (he should have had two points for guessing G77 correctly, giving him a winning total of 4).
Perhaps JDAW will overwrite the image and correct this error. I was the scorer and admit my liability.
Warning! Danger! Such a suggestion could lead to someone suggesting modification of the tasting notes after the event, to add what the wines were, our guesses, and to auto-tally the results, and we'll re-enter the whole "should the archived copy of the tasting notes be what we used on the night, or can it be some hopefully-not-affected-version-modified-by-jdaw" debate!
Too late, and it was only a small addendum rather than a deletion.
Returning Officer: "Mr Mugabe! Terrible news! You have lost the election by 10 votes!"

Mr Mugabe: "No problem, just make a small addendum and republish the results"

Returning Officer: "Fantastic news, Mr Mugabe! You are still the President!!!"

:roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

It isn’t a change in the votes; it is correcting an error by the returning officer. And it is done in a manner that makes very clear what was done originally, and what was subsequently corrected.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:Not a bad round of guesses; I note that the scorer denied Charles his winning point (he should have had two points for guessing G77 correctly, giving him a winning total of 4).
Perhaps JDAW will overwrite the image and correct this error. I was the scorer and admit my liability.
Warning! Danger! Such a suggestion could lead to someone suggesting modification of the tasting notes after the event, to add what the wines were, our guesses, and to auto-tally the results, and we'll re-enter the whole "should the archived copy of the tasting notes be what we used on the night, or can it be some hopefully-not-affected-version-modified-by-jdaw" debate!
Returning Officer: "Mr Mugabe! Terrible news! You have lost the election by 10 votes!"

What cynicism in one so… so… erm… so cynical.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:
DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:

What cynicism in one so… so… erm… so cynical.
Wouldn't you be cynical if you had just missed out on sharing a bottle of 1970 Fonseca that was in excellent form?

I want to add my thanks for a great evening with some very fine ports.

Thanks for the company and the excellent port.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:
djewesbury wrote: What cynicism in one so… so… erm… so cynical.
Wouldn't you be cynical if you had just missed out on sharing a bottle of 1970 Fonseca that was in excellent form?
Quite, quite. And especially considering the very pleasant surprise that it was, that bottle having been purchased in Belfast with no idea of provenance.
Had a lovely visit to Château Pichon-Baron today though, courtesy of Derek, so I shouldn't start harping. Thank you DRT.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:
AHB wrote:
djewesbury wrote: What cynicism in one so… so… erm… so cynical.
Quite, quite. And especially considering the very pleasant surprise that it was, that bottle having been purchased in Belfast with no idea of provenance.
Had a lovely visit to Château Pichon-Baron today though, courtesy of Derek, so I shouldn't start harping. Thank you DRT.
You are most very welcome, Sir.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn