Wed 9th September 2015, Port Fit for a Queen (E2>V)

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: Wed 9th September 2015, Port Fit for a Queen (E2>V)

Post by WS1 »

Ck63, Croft 60 and D70 decanted; Ck63 and Croft 60 in carrier bottles and D70 double decanted into its own bt; all looking good. :D

regards
WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:As is fitting in any free society, protesters are free to stand outside the door and refuse to take part so long as they do not infringe the civil liberties of those who do.
I presume that you mean the protesters are free to stand outside until closing time or until all the port has been consumed, whichever is the earliest?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:As is fitting in any free society, protesters are free to stand outside the door and refuse to take part so long as they do not infringe the civil liberties of those who do.
I presume that you mean the protesters are free to stand outside until closing time or until all the port has been consumed, whichever is the earliest?
Let us form a guard of honor for Daniel standing outside! :lol:

We could raise a glass or two to his unusual strange behaviour! But if it floats his boat......

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Imagine being at a dinner in the USA, and there is a toast to ‘The Constitution’. I have grumbles about the US Constitution: the second amendment is wrong, the first amendment has bad consequences, and there is the business of the 60% fraction. That nice Mr Trump dislikes the fourteenth, other right-wing Republicans probably dislike the sixteenth, the eighteenth was always ludicrous, the twenty-second has ill-considered bad consequences, and even the seventh has needless costs. (Happily, it seems that nobody cares about the third amendment.)

There is a toast to ‘The Constitution’: what should I do? Of course, find my wine/Port/Madeira/etc glass(es), ensure that they are adequately supplied, and toast ‘The Constitution’. Partly because I don’t have a chip on my shoulder about a war that happened over two centuries ago.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:There is a toast to ‘The Constitution’: what should I do? Of course, find my wine/Port/Madeira/etc glass(es), ensure that they are adequately supplied, and toast ‘The Constitution’. Partly because I don’t have a chip on my shoulder about a war that happened over two centuries ago.
Indeed.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

jdaw1 wrote:Imagine being at a dinner in the USA, and there is a toast to ‘The Constitution’. I have grumbles about the US Constitution: the second amendment is wrong, the first amendment has bad consequences, and there is the business of the 60% fraction. That nice Mr Trump dislikes the fourteenth, other right-wing Republicans probably dislike the sixteenth, the eighteenth was always ludicrous, the twenty-second has ill-considered bad consequences, and even the seventh has needless costs. (Happily, it seems that nobody cares about the third amendment.)

There is a toast to ‘The Constitution’: what should I do? Of course, find my wine/Port/Madeira/etc glass(es), ensure that they are adequately supplied, and toast ‘The Constitution’. Partly because I don’t have a chip on my shoulder about a war that happened over two centuries ago.
You're right- I'd be happy to toast Old Nick if it meant partaking of such a tasting as is planned :D
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

D60 safely single decanted (bottom half of cork had to be pushed into original bottle and no time to fish it out) at 6.30 this morning. All appeared well and good.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

"First shalt thou take out the bottle of Warre '60, then shalt thou wait to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then decanteth the bottle, bringeth the filled vessel to London, and passeth thy vessel towards thy leftmost friend, who being joyous in My sight, shall drink of it."
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:There is a toast to ‘The Constitution’: what should I do? Of course, find my wine/Port/Madeira/etc glass(es), ensure that they are adequately supplied, and toast ‘The Constitution’. Partly because I don’t have a chip on my shoulder about a war that happened over two centuries ago.
Indeed.
Hmmm I find it funny you bringing up this example. Since you in England have no constitution if I recall correctly toasting on the American constitution would make me lough. :lol:

Cannot shift the vision now of DRT and JDAW toasting in the White House. Am also sure this leading to a row with your American cousins over insufficient proper vintage port supplies......

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

T63 decanted at 13:30. Cork broke but branding clear, and indeed Taylor 1963. Smells lovely.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

While the curmudgeons are being curmudgeonly in the Curmudgeon Corner, it seems that across the land, and indeed in many of the further-flung parts of Christendom, quiet celebrations are underway. As ours will soon be.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Please be advised, especially if you're the first there doing glasses: Having decanted the W60 I am unconvinced by its colour, so have decanted a second bottle from a different source (which looks much better) and will be bringing both.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Please be advised, especially if you're the first there doing glasses: Having decanted the W60 I am unconvinced by its colour, so have decanted a second bottle from a different source (which looks much better) and will be bringing both.
Thank you for bringing a second.

Had just printed the placemats, so W60(1)=“£”; W60(2)=“W60”. Bottles can be labelled, for which purpose there are both stickies and decanter labels.

Edit: posts made in threads 1960 Warre (W60) and 1960 Warre (£).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Problems. We've been moved to the Green Room, without so much as a by-your-leave.

Some of the boxes of glasses were discovered today to be empty. Bring glasses!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Problems. We've been moved to the Green Room, without so much as a by-your-leave.

Some of the boxes of glasses were discovered today to be empty. Bring glasses!
This might have been mentioned once or twice (or perhaps sixty three times) throughout the evening but I am pleased to report that JDAW did Her Majesty proud by carrying on regardless and refusing to let small details stand in the way of ceremony. God save the Queen, and God help the Duty Manager the next time JDAW makes a booking :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

We had a splendid evening. It could have been an even more splendid evening, but we drank and ate well. Many yummy ports, and only one obvious duffer.

Perhaps this comment should go in the review thread, but it is late and I am tired.