17th May 2015: Port drinking in New York City

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 17th May 2015: Atonal music & port drinking in New York

Post by djewesbury »

Hi everyone.
The current situation, as much as I'm able to follow it, is that we don't have a venue where the two activities - listening to the music and drinking the wine - can be combined at the same time. Does anyone have a strong objection to beginning earlier at another venue where we can combine the two before dinner? Please post here - I have a suggested venue but I don't have glassware. Placemat production is still on hold.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

I have tasting glasses (over 100 of them) which I can bring with me if need be. As for venue/time I am pretty much open. I would actually like to see an earlier start time as well as earlier finish time since it is on a Sunday. Anything I can do to assist please let me know.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

differentdave wrote:I have tasting glasses (over 100 of them) which I can bring with me if need be. As for venue/time I am pretty much open. I would actually like to see an earlier start time as well as earlier finish time since it is on a Sunday. Anything I can do to assist please let me know.
Ok, so let's do a little reset, folks...

I'm going to be at Left Bank this Sunday at 5pm. I'd hate to be drinking Port alone, and the restaurant would like to know how many people to expect. What shall I tell them tomorrow (Thurs morning)?
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

SushiNorth wrote:
differentdave wrote:I have tasting glasses (over 100 of them) which I can bring with me if need be. As for venue/time I am pretty much open. I would actually like to see an earlier start time as well as earlier finish time since it is on a Sunday. Anything I can do to assist please let me know.
Ok, so let's do a little reset, folks...

I'm going to be at Left Bank this Sunday at 5pm. I'd hate to be drinking Port alone, and the restaurant would like to know how many people to expect. What shall I tell them tomorrow (Thurs morning)?
Hi guys. OK, sorry if I got the wrong end of the organising stick this time! But all is not lost and I think we can sort this out.

We have 7 attendees. May I humbly suggest a workaround? We have an offer of a garden in the Lower East Side, we have an offer of 100 glasses. We have some who would like an earlier start. And we have a booking for dinner.

I suggest we meet to drink (some or all) the port in the Lower East Side, with approx 60 of differentdave's glasses, perhaps at 2pm, listen to some music, relax in a garden, and then proceed to dinner as booked at Left Bank. We can save some port for dinner, or we can buy wine, we are free agents.

Does this seem sensible? If so, we don't have much time to finesse the details but let's all pitch in with what seems doable and take it from there. It seems possible that some people may not chip in to the thread here automatically so can anyone who knows anyone else please alert them to this and get them to put in their view?
Daniel J.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

I can do either either LES or Queens. I do have a preference for an early start.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

I'm amenable to all this; and we simply split up which port we drink when. Attendance-wise, I count 6, possibly 7 if g-man would be willing to do the earlier time (i.e. we'd be doing 2:00-6:30 i suspect).
JoshDrinksPort
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

i have a prior commitment at 2pm

but i have to make deliveries in the city early morning around 10pm

if anybody is up for a lunch say 11:30 i can certainly just share my port then.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes, was trying to be helpful.
I am fine with whatever plans unfold.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

differentdave wrote:Sorry if I stepped on anyones toes, was trying to be helpful.
I am fine with whatever plans unfold.

i was thinking

you want to grab lunch on sunday at palm tribeca?

the kids preclude me from alot of longer spanning festivities but i can certainly grab lunch on my delivery run and drop off the bottle to be tasted with you.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

OK - a final FINAL gameplan...

Please CONFIRM attendance as per the plan below and see first post.

Given the complications, Mark's OK to drop the atonal theme and maybe join us another time. So now we have a simple blind theme, with 7 attendees (see first post - new attendee replaces Mark) at the original venue booked by Josh - Left Bank, from 5pm.

I am trying to confirm whether our new attendee, Conor K, needs an adoption - I suspect so. g-man, would it be ok if you bring an otherwise-blinded Quevedo, of whatever type, to be adopted? If not needed, we'll split the cost, if that's OK. I am also bringing a spare bottle.

Please, are we all still on? I will prepare placemats according to the first post as it currently stands.
Daniel J.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Re: 17th May 2015: Port drinking in New York City

Post by Miguel Simoes »

I am in.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Miguel Simoes wrote:I am in.
Great!
Daniel J.
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

I am in for the dinner. Please let me know if glasses are needed or not as I will wash/steam sanitize them in advance if they are needed.
G-man Dont think I can swing 2 meals in NYC as its a long time away from the family. Might be able to convince them to drive me into the city in the am and take them to central park zoo for an hour or two then send them home and I come to you. Will let you know tinight/tomorrow.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

If we are entirely based in Left Bank then glasses are presumably not needed - Josh, have Left Bank been alerted that we will need approx 60 glasses?
Daniel J.
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

If additional adoption is needed (I am bringing two currently if not mistaken) I can bring a third as well.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

By request of Daniel, the placemats (and parameters by which made).
Image Image Image

• Please check and post, either to confirm satisfactory, or with requested changes. Somebody please check.

• Who is to print?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

17th May 2015: Port drinking in New York City

Post by djewesbury »

Thank you. It looks good to me - have checked the PDF.

If anyone has access to printing, please go ahead. Otherwise I'll find a printshop tomorrow.
Daniel J.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

djewesbury wrote:OK - a final FINAL gameplan...

Please CONFIRM attendance as per the plan below and see first post.

Given the complications, Mark's OK to drop the atonal theme and maybe join us another time. So now we have a simple blind theme, with 7 attendees (see first post - new attendee replaces Mark) at the original venue booked by Josh - Left Bank, from 5pm.

I am trying to confirm whether our new attendee, Conor K, needs an adoption - I suspect so. g-man, would it be ok if you bring an otherwise-blinded Quevedo, of whatever type, to be adopted? If not needed, we'll split the cost, if that's OK. I am also bringing a spare bottle.

Please, are we all still on? I will prepare placemats according to the first post as it currently stands.
We are still on :)

My understanding was that g-man couldn't join us for dinner. I confirmed reservations for 6 total at Left Bank at 5pm. They won't let me get in any earlier to setup. We will need exactly 36 glasses (6^2), but extras can be really helpful. I have two boxes of 36 glasses, but if someone else were to bring some it would make my trip home a little easier.

Could placemats be prepared and someone let me know when they're printed?
Also, who will be decanting in advance, and who will be decanting on-site, so we can be prepared?
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:Could placemats be prepared and someone let me know when they're printed?
Partly done — see next quote.
jdaw1 wrote:By request of Daniel, the placemats (and parameters by which made).
But it would be easier for Daniel if somebody else could print them. Could that be you?
djewesbury wrote:If anyone has access to printing, please go ahead. Otherwise I'll find a printshop tomorrow.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:Could placemats be prepared and someone let me know when they're printed?
Partly done — see next quote.
But it would be easier for Daniel if somebody else could print them. Could that be you?
djewesbury wrote:If anyone has access to printing, please go ahead. Otherwise I'll find a printshop tomorrow.

Printed.
JoshDrinksPort
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

SushiNorth wrote: We will need exactly 36 glasses (6^2), but extras can be really helpful. I have two boxes of 36 glasses, but if someone else were to bring some it would make my trip home a little easier.
I'll take 12 glasses.
SushiNorth wrote: Also, who will be decanting in advance, and who will be decanting on-site, so we can be prepared?
I'll decant mine in advance.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Hi everyone. Landed safe and sound. I have brought an extra bottle with me so the extra glasses will be handy! I will decant in advance, always hoping that the bottles have settled a little by Sunday.
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Have fun over there!
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

djewesbury wrote:Hi everyone. Landed safe and sound. I have brought an extra bottle with me so the extra glasses will be handy! I will decant in advance, always hoping that the bottles have settled a little by Sunday.
Just trying to get a bottle count
djewesbury: 2
differentdave: 2
Miguel: 1
SushiNorth: 1*

Are there more? D&D, are you bringing for Rachel and Connor respectively, or is g-man still dropping more off?

* I may be inspired to a toast to positive things on sunday, which may mean yet another extra bottle. TBD
jdaw1: Please don't change the placemats, i printed them already so we'll use what we've got :)
JoshDrinksPort
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:jdaw1: Please don't change the placemats, i printed them already so we'll use what we've got :)
Placemats done by me usually have space for extra bottles and an extra person. Just in case. These were no exception.
Image Image Image