The Scottish Independence Referendum, 18th Sept 2014

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: The Scottish Independence Referendum, 18th Sept 2014

Post by LGTrotter »

AW77 wrote:Sandeman's (I hope the apostrophe is correct in this case) has Scottish roots as well. So you could even have a Sherry (or stick to port).
There was a lovely set of programmes on BBC radio 4 about the Scottish links with wine, there was a very fine gent with a distinctly Mediterranean accent waxing lyrical on his connection with Scotland, port featured very prominently, Billy McKay was the presenters name (I think).
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:And does anyone know when the result will be declared? Not sure where exit polls fit into this one either, if there are we could still all get an early night.
The count will begin as with a general election, almost immediately, but depending on the maths there could be no result until 7 am. And I'd be very wary of exit polls.
I do not know if this is accurate but it seems plausible.

But we can enjoy a few hours of speculation before falling asleep and missing the first announcement at 3am.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
AW77 wrote:Sandeman's (I hope the apostrophe is correct in this case) has Scottish roots as well. So you could even have a Sherry (or stick to port).
There was a lovely set of programmes on BBC radio 4 about the Scottish links with wine, there was a very fine gent with a distinctly Mediterranean accent waxing lyrical on his connection with Scotland, port featured very prominently, Billy McKay was the presenters name (I think).
Can't find any reference to a Billy McKay who is not a lower leagues footballer in Scotland. Tell us more please.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:There was a lovely set of programmes on BBC radio 4 about the Scottish links with wine, there was a very fine gent with a distinctly Mediterranean accent waxing lyrical on his connection with Scotland, port featured very prominently, Billy McKay was the presenters name (I think).
Can't find any reference to a Billy McKay who is not a lower leagues footballer in Scotland. Tell us more please.
Perhaps Billy Kay?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:There was a lovely set of programmes on BBC radio 4 about the Scottish links with wine, there was a very fine gent with a distinctly Mediterranean accent waxing lyrical on his connection with Scotland, port featured very prominently, Billy McKay was the presenters name (I think).
Perhaps Billy Kay?
Excellent. Thanks Phil. I've heard of 'Knee Deep in Claret', in fact a bottle of Ch Beaumont labelled to celebrate its publication was in an auction catalogue I was reading lately.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

PhilW wrote:Perhaps Billy Kay?
The very chap. Thank you Phil, I was lost amongst footballers too. They did a whole hour on port and the various Scottish families that nurtured the trade. But I have wandered from topic, again. I think it will have to be a Croft port. It may not be very Scottish but it sounds like it should be. Not being endowed with the gift of placemats I shall just have to write the word 'Croft' on a piece of paper and draw a circle round my glass. I shall of course also add the correct two digits. I'm not sure what I've got; 77 definitely, and the 94 (much too young). I think a couple of 70s and maybe a 66. The 77 will have to do.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I think this; http://www.billykay.co.uk/Audio/MP3s/Co ... donian.m3u may be the very programme. I drove Emma mad for a while by breaking into 'the silver tassie' which is the introductory song. Thanks again Phil for finding the site.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Cool! I'll listen to this as soon as I get out of here (work).
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As a non-voting Englishman I am already fed up with being constantly bombarded with rhetoric from both sides. My plea to those voting north of the border is, "Just get on with it".

I can't imagine what it is like for those in Scotland where the media noise must be several times worse than it is here.

I will fall asleep with my radio on and my earphones in. From time to time a particularly excited voice will, no doubt, partially wake me and I will absorb some of the news. Then I will drift back to sleep to the melifluous tones of James Naughtie until the next shouting occurs.

And when I wake up at 6am it will all be over and I can go back to reading about the latest Islamic insurgency in a part of the world that I have not heard of before. Whether Scotland has become independent or has remained part of the Union I will make a cup of tea, get dressed for work and head to the office.

And the discussion of polls and their accuracy is one which appeals to me. In 1992 I was polled three times before the election and on exit. Each time I lied about who I would / had voted for. I had become irritated by the polls appearing to attempt to influence how I thought so I decided to do my little bit to manipulate the polls - and I lied. And I felt extremely smug when the pollsters looked stupid after the election votes were counted. It seems that they had never considered the fact that they might be wrong other than through natural statistical variation, assuming that people only ever told the truth and behaved like data in a statistical distribution. Long live Patrick McGoohan.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Cool! I'll listen to this as soon as I get out of here (work).
Robbed! Having got back in from the salt mines it would seem that all I'm getting is the introductory music.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Owen
Are you definitely drinking the Croft 77?
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Owen
Yes, if this will help in some master plan you have in mind. I probably will even if it doesn't.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Owen
Yes, if this will help in some master plan you have in mind. I probably will even if it doesn't.
No master plan, I just thought this would come in handy to avoid confusion. There is a page for the cork. There is a decanter label. And obviously there are pages for Emma as well since you will be sharing. You can download the full PDF by right-clicking / option-clicking on the thumbnails.

EDIT: Oh and there are place-names as well. In case you each forget who you are. Sort of an ice-breaker.

Image Image
Daniel J.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

You can bet on the "no" on Betfair 1.27@1.28. That implies a 78% chance of rejection. Amazing how different the story is vs what the polls are showing.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

I'm with Alex-I stated out ambivalent and am now thoroughly bored about this whole matter. It's only deemed to be a'matter' because the polls suggest so whereas the bookies have got it right. As a Welshman I'm often irked about the amount of media coverage afforded the Irish and the Scots but that's probably because my affinities lie more with the Cornish and Bretons :D
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Thank you Daniel for the placemats etc. They look lovely.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:Thank you Daniel for the placemats etc. They look lovely.
My pleasure. Don't forget to use the place names. You need to set them at a point in the evening when you still remember who you are.
Daniel J.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

The Telegraph business section yesterday had an amusing comment. Words to the effect that Alex Sammonds definition of bullying seemed very similar to most peoples definition of holding an alternate view to Alex Sammond.

Explain to me why any business would want to stay domiciled in Scotland when it is seemingly threatened for suggesting it may re domicile. Surely a better approach from a democratic country would be to suggest an intent to create an environment conducive to doing business. Alex Sammond seems to like wielding a stick not dangling a carrot as far as I can see!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

A thought: if by some miracle there is a "Yes" result will the people of Scotland still be "British"? I think yes, in the same way that they will still be "European".
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:A thought: if by some miracle there is a "Yes" result will the people of Scotland still be "British"? I think yes, in the same way that they will still be "European".
You answered your own question. Britain is, before anything else, the name of the island where Scotland is situated.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:You answered your own question. Britain is, before anything else, the name of the island where Scotland is situated.
Well, the British Isles, much to the dismay of a certain euro-zone neighbour, contain more than that.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:You answered your own question. Britain is, before anything else, the name of the island where Scotland is situated.
Well, the British Isles, much to the dismay of a certain euro-zone neighbour, contain more than that.
Debatable. The term is not universally accepted.
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

My understanding was that Britain and The British Isles are not the same thing as Julian alludes to I think. Britain being the island containing England, Wales and Scotland. The British Isles including Britain, all of Ireland, the Shetlands, Hebrides etc etc.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:My understanding was that Britain and The British Isles are not the same thing as Julian alludes to I think. Britain being the island containing England, Wales and Scotland. The British Isles including Britain, all of Ireland, the Shetlands, Hebrides etc etc.
Yep. Exactly. I think that doesn't contradict what JDAW said. But the term 'British Isles' is not much liked by many in Ireland (as you must know), and not only those of a strongly republican persuasion!
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

The Scottish Independence Referendum, 18th Sept 2014

Post by DRT »

What Daniel described strikes at the root of the problem. I am quite certain that the great unwashed element in the Yes camp will believe that being an in independent Scot means not having to be British.
Ernest H. Cockburn