The "Deeper Underground" Offline (28 Jan 2008)

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.

Which night suits you best

Poll ended at 23:02 Tue 08 Jan 2008

Monday 28th January 2008
88%
Tuesday 29th January 2008
No votes
Wednesday 30th January 2008
13%

Total votes: 8

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Splendid splash of paint on the Fonseca. Commendation!

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Image
Splendid splash of paint on the Fonseca. Commendation!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: The swingometer

Post by DRT »

Update:

Votes FOR including the Nacional 1966: 12

Votes AGAINST including the Nacional 1966: 1

Votes NOT YET CAST: 0

I think we need a re-count :roll: :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I wonder who the 'one' was. Who doesn't run with the herd. Who likes being contrary. Hmmm... :?:

I suppose some things are left unsaid. :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Learjet Model 24

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Flight 1: The Guest of Honour
  • Adam's.
Flight 2: The Taylor Fladgate Trio
  • Croft;
  • Fonseca;
  • Taylor's.
Flight 3: The Symington Quartet
  • Dow's;
  • Graham's;
  • Warre's;
  • Berry Bros.
Flight 4: The Taylor Fladgate Other Trio
  • Delaforce;
  • Offley Boa Vista;
  • Morgan
Flight 5: The Other Three
  • Avery's;
  • Quinta do Noval;
  • Robertson's Rebello Valente.
Is this ordering generally agreed? With Nacional going where? In five, I hope. (I ask ’cause I’ll arrange placemats so keep things in suits.)
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

How about Flight 6: Nacional?
Port is basically a red drink
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Splitter

Post by Ghandih »

Conky wrote:I wonder who the 'one' was. Who doesn't run with the herd. Who likes being contrary. Hmmm... :?:

I confess twas I. Julian has been extremely (I might almost say exponentially) kind to let me taste some of his Novals, and they have been rather light on flavour for me, liker of Taylor and (I have learnt with my friends at TPF) Fonseca. Julian also introduced me to Nacional, and would concede that the bottle we had together was poor. I am therefore resigned to not agreeing with the masses about the merits of this shipper, and the disproportionate prices of the Nacional.

However, all that said, the news from Dubbers is that those lawyer folk can probably wangle my freedom for a night, so I UP FOR IT, and, in that position, would not like to be a rotten stick in the mud that makes things tricky.

So, my preference remains not to fork out the extra for the Nacional, but I would very much like to come, and would accept being forced to drink it, in the light of team unity.

If that doesn't make me more magnanimous that Magnus Magnanimous Magnusson I don't know what does!

Ghhhhhhhhhhandi
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

PS Do I get a badge?
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Mhahghnhuhsh Mhahghnhahnhihmhohuhsh Mhahghnhuhshshohn

Post by jdaw1 »

With Mhahghnhuhsh Mhahghnhahnhihmhohuhsh Mhahghnhuhshshohn willing to join the team, we are functionally equivalent to unanimous. So everyone’s happy, or at least playing along.

But I want Noval and Nacional in the same flight.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: And, of course, current draft of placemat updated.

Post by jdaw1 »

Current draft of placemat updated, and now on A3 on account of AHB’s splendid printing facilities, and—more joy!—tasting notes split over two pages.

Flights, as indicated on that placemat:
  • ☺ Adam

♣ Croft
    ♣ Fonseca
    ♣ Taylor

♦ Dow
    ♦ Graham
    ♦ Warre
    ♦ Berry Bros. & Rudd Selection

♥ Delaforce
    ♥ Morgan
    ♥ Offley Boa Vista

♠ Avery
    ♠ Quinta do Noval
    ♠ Quinta do Noval Nacional
    ♠ Robertson’s Rebello Valente
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:Current draft of placemat updated, and now on A3 on account of AHB’s splendid printing facilities, and—more joy!—tasting notes split over two pages.

Flights, as indicated on that placemat:
  • ☺ Adam

♣ Croft
    ♣ Fonseca
    ♣ Taylor

♦ Dow
    ♦ Graham
    ♦ Warre

♥ Delaforce
    ♥ Morgan
    ♥ Offley Boa Vista

♠ Avery
    ♠ Quinta do Noval
    ♠ Quinta do Noval Nacional
I accept, in the strictest sense, that those are rombi, although definitely equilateral, they ain't bleedin' diamonds.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Whats the Berrys Bros & Rudd bottle? They are just bottlers in England, aren't they? Whats the juice?

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Luckily, we can test that hypothesis!

Post by jdaw1 »

BBR told me when I bought it, half a decade or so ago, that their BOB 1966 was Warre. Luckily, we can test that hypothesis!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Are they suit symbols on the PDF file?

Post by jdaw1 »

Are they suit symbols on the PDF file?

Annoyingly not-quite-unicode phpBB 2. When are we upgrading to 3?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Splitter

Post by DRT »

Ghandih wrote:
Conky wrote:I wonder who the 'one' was. Who doesn't run with the herd. Who likes being contrary. Hmmm... :?:

I confess twas I. Julian has been extremely (I might almost say exponentially) kind to let me taste some of his Novals, and they have been rather light on flavour for me, liker of Taylor and (I have learnt with my friends at TPF) Fonseca. Julian also introduced me to Nacional, and would concede that the bottle we had together was poor. I am therefore resigned to not agreeing with the masses about the merits of this shipper, and the disproportionate prices of the Nacional.

However, all that said, the news from Dubbers is that those lawyer folk can probably wangle my freedom for a night, so I UP FOR IT, and, in that position, would not like to be a rotten stick in the mud that makes things tricky.

So, my preference remains not to fork out the extra for the Nacional, but I would very much like to come, and would accept being forced to drink it, in the light of team unity.

If that doesn't make me more magnanimous that Magnus Magnanimous Magnusson I don't know what does!

Ghhhhhhhhhhandi

iaGhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhdn,

This is fabulous news. I am glad to hear that the Irish can cope alone and even more glad to hear that you have made the final result of this poll:

Votes FOR including the Nacional 1966: 13

Votes AGAINST including the Nacional 1966: 0

I have a feeling jdaw will be beavering away at constructing a suitable badge as I type this.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote:Whats the Berrys Bros & Rudd bottle? They are just bottlers in England, aren't they? Whats the juice?
jdaw1 wrote:BBR told me when I bought it, half a decade or so ago, that their BOB 1966 was Warre. Luckily, we can test that hypothesis!
Derek T. wrote: Michael Broadbent (Vintage Wine)

Berry Brothers Selection
A superbly balanced wine blended and bottled in Berry Bros style...Still deep, relatively youthful for its age; harmonious, waxy bouquet, fairly sweet, nice weight, elegant, well balanced. In short, delicious. Shipped via Percy Fox & Co, then Warre's agents.
Last tasted 1989 *****
Broadbent's text implies that this is not the same wine as Warre's own 1966 VP, but is a wine produced specifically for BBR (possibly by Warre's) and shipped to them by Warre's agents of the time. We shall see whether or not Broadbent is correct when we pull the cork :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

With...
  1. the Nacional now confirmed in the line-up;
  2. the need to keep the Noval and Noval Nacional in the same flight;
  3. the need to avoid having the Nacional too far down the list of flights; and,
  4. the fact that no one spotted that Offley is not a Taylor Fladgate house and therefore should not have been in Flight 4.
...I would suggest the following changes to the flights...
  • ☺ Adam

♣ Quinta do Noval Nacional
    ♣ Quinta do Noval
    ♣ Fonseca
    ♣ Taylor

♦ Dow
    ♦ Graham
    ♦ Warre

♥ Croft
    ♥ Delaforce
    ♥ Morgan

♠ Offley Boa Vista
    ♠ Avery
Please note that there is a better than average chance that a Sandeman 1966 will join this line-up shortly. If it does, I would suggest we add it to the final flight.

Jdaw, please update the tasting mats accordingly.

Thanks

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'd like to request a change to the flights proposed if we are going to be including the Nacional in the line-up.

I've been doing a but of research into the Avery bottling and it seems that it might be a bit of an oddity. I have read that this could be a blend of port shipped by Taylor, Fonseca and Graham that was blended and bottled in the UK. As a result of reading this little gem, I'd like to line the Avery up close to the heavyweights.

Could I suggest we tweak the flights so that become:

Flight 1
The guest of honour - Adam's

Flight 2
Taylor Fladgate Partnership
Croft
Fonseca
Taylor

Flight 3
Noval and Guest
Noval
Nacional
Avery

Flight 4
The Symingtons
Dow
Graham
Warre
Berry Brothers (which I can confirm is the Warre wine)

Flight 5
The potential surprises
Delaforce
Morgan
Offley
Rebello Valente

My personal preference would be to taste the Nacional before my palate gets too jaded and I would also like to taste the Avery in the context of the Taylor, Fonseca and Graham.

How does this sound to people?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alex,

Given that the Avery's is two-thirds Taylor Fladgate I think we should add it to Flight 2 and leave the Noval's on their own in Flight 3. The other flights look fine to me.

OK?

Derek

PS: Please note that I chose to make this a BlackBerry-friendly post, despite the temptation to do otherwise knowning your current predicament :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm more than happy with the revised flights...

but less than happy with my ISP at the moment!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The revised flights are as follows...

Flight 1: The Guest of Honour
  • ☺Adam's
Flight 2: Taylor Fladgate Partnership
  • ♣ Avery's
    ♣ Croft
    ♣ Fonseca
    ♣ Taylor's
Flight 3: The Novals
  • ♦ Quinta do Noval
    ♦ Quinta do Noval Nacional
Flight 4: The Symington Family
  • ♥ Berry Brothers Selection
    ♥ Dow's
    ♥ Graham's
    ♥ Warre's
Flight 5: The Potential Surprises
  • ♠ Delaforce
    ♠ Morgan
    ♠ Offley Boa Vista
    ♠ Robertson's Rebello Valente
Jdaw, unless anyone objects, can you please update the placemats to reflect the above. If the Sandeman joins the list it can be a surprise, and will therefore slot nicely into flight 5.

Derek

Note for AHB: Although you cannot see it on your BlackBerry the flight titles are now in bold type and each flight properly displayed as an indented list.

Edited to ensure proper use of the posessive, where appropriate.
Last edited by DRT on 11:34 Sat 12 Jan 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

In case anyone hasn't worked it out, the unicode symbols jdaw has introduced to denote each flight are not all properly displayed in the posts due to the limitations of the phBB software version we are using.

The character that is displayed as ☺ in front of Adam is actually a unicode smiley face. This can be seen on the tasting mat or if you copy and paste the symbol into Word or Notepad.

This is yet another indication of jdaw being slightly off form this week :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

As a few are chipping in, so will I. I agree with flights of four bottles each. The first one should include the first drink - Adams. The second and third flight (The money groups) should include the Fonseca/Noval groupings. The last should be the 'quirky, end of evening, going to struggle to compete, but you never know bottles'.

I'm happy to go along with anything, but would suggest your over complicating matters to make it just so. There's only a few out of the group who are anal-ly retentive over Port. Whereas the opinion you have on the Port can be as technical or Laurence Llewelyn - Bowen as you desire, and will entertain the crowd, the serving of it should be user friendly and unpretentious.

Somehow, I suspect this wont fly, as I'm in the Lair of the PortHead, speaking up for the real world.

Alan.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

Perhaps if I explain some other things I can aleviate your concerns.

Behind the scenes, principally because it is not practical for 13 people to organise one event, AHB, Jdaw and I have been debating how to organise the evening so that it goes smoothly and we maximise the time available to enjoy each others company and the ports. What we have come up with is as follows:

1. We will attempt to get all of the ports to the venue by 4pm on 28th January. I am taking the bottles I have to The Crusting Pipe this Monday coming to allow them time to stand before decanting and also so that they do not have to undergo a 200 mile train journey on the day of the tasting. Jdaw and AHB are bringing their bottles to the venue at 4pm on the 28th. I will have separate discussions with the others (JK and Simon) who are bringing bottles to try to get them there as early as possible.

2. We have managed to reserve both tunnels at The Crusting Pipe. These are side by side with a common entrance. One tunnel will be used for eating and drinking some prelimenary port (water or wine for the Jessies amongst us) and we will then move to the second tunnel to taste the 1966s.

3. AHB, Jdaw and I will meet at the Pipe at 16:00 on the 28th to decant the ports. We will then set out the Placemats and pour an even measure of each port for each person. Depending on how many glasses we secure from the venue we may have to leave one or two ports in the bottle until empty glasses become available. I really don't think this will be necessary but that's our contingency for glass shortage.

4. We plan to start the event at 18:30. By that time, Tunnel 2 will have 13 places set, each with 15 port glasses filled and layed out on the placemats. This area will be off limits to everyone, including staff, until around 20:30, by which time the ports will have had around 4 hours of air time.

5. We will eat between 18:30 and 20:30. This will allow anyone who cannot make the early start to join us before we commence the tasting. AHB has already suggested somewhere that we buy a couple of bottles of port from the Pipe to enjoy with the meal. Delaforce 1985 has been suggested as a likely victim and it is thought that this would be covered by the £50 per head that was estimated for food, corkage, glasses etc.

6. When we sit down to taste the port you will hopefully have all 15 wines layed out in front of you. Some of us will choose to deal with these in flights, taking notes, talking about coal dust and over-ripe willy-willy fruit etc. Others may choose to just work their way through the wines in whatever order takes their fancy. Both approaches, and any other that an individual chooses, are valid and acceptable.

7. One thing to bear in mind when starting to drink the ports is that there will be nothing left in the bottles. So what you have in your glass at the beginning is all you will have of each wine. For this reason I expect many will choose to taste all of them briefly and then re-visit each before whacking them back in reverse order of greatness. At least that's my plan 88)

Hopefully this plan is user-friendly enough to stop you worrying that its all too anal.

Pretentious? Moi? :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Fairs, fair.

With flesh on the bones, it does sound well thought out and user friendly. I'm glad I posted and you responded in that way, as I hope it will assist those who dip in to the Forum on a casual basis, and who are coming to the Tasting. They will now see that its not all about a few nerds discussing the running order, which can be intimidating, but that there will be personal freedom, and a well thought out, but relaxed atmosphere.
Now that perception has been established, please feel free to continue your discussion about 'Flight' options, like the group of 'hyperactive Brides Mothers' that I know and love.

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:Jdaw, please update the tasting mats accordingly.
Away this weekend: will cope Monday.

AHB: please would you test print the first page onto A3 Monday morning and confirm that the smiley and suit flight symbols all appear satisfactorily. Thanks. (And print one person’s TN pages onto A4 for like purpose.)