Tue 03 June 2014, Oscar Quevedo in London

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: Tue 03 June 2014, Oscar Quevedo in London

Post by WS1 »

AHB wrote:I have a bottle of Vargellas 1958 accessible - this is my only bottle of Vargellas 1958. Should I keep the bottle for a future Vargellas vertical or should I contribute it to this tasting?
Please keep it. In 2018 we may want do do a big 1958 tasting for which this could be perfect. Alternatively for a Vargeallas tasting as well.... :wink: :lol:

uups we may have to do a 1948 tasting too......... :D :nirvana:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Warre, Dow and Noval safely left at TBH this afternoon.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Paris wrote:Just to let you know, your port is with us … along with some maple syrup stuff.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
Paris wrote:Just to let you know, your port is with us … along with some maple syrup stuff.
Ahhh, I have deciphered your quote on second reading; Initially I thought this was a kinky reference to a well-known heiress. I am now both enlightened and deflated, though looking forward to Jun 3rd.
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Post by oscar quevedo »

Thought I could change it this time, but without success again. Almost nothing left in Portugal of 1958. Uncle Tom is kindly allowing me to adopt a Fonseca Guimaraes from him.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Wolfgang: please could you make, carefully, an accurate list of who is bringing what. There is an FG coming from Dries via Paris, and another from Tom.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

A small task which needs to be accomplished at this event. Sample bottles need to be distributed by Julian to certain attendees to allow them to take a sample from the bottle(s) they are bringing to the 97 Maturity Assessment on 16 June (said bottles to be decanted the previous evening where possible). Sample bottles distributed as follows:
Julian - keeps 1 at home for his Vau DM
Alex - gets 1 for the Martinez
Ian - gets 3 for the Dow, Ferreira and Ramos Pinto
Tom - gets 2 for CrR and Vesuvio
Julian - leaves a further 14 at TBH. MPM will collect 7. The remaining 7 will be used on the night of the 16th.

All clear?
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

I will pop by TBH on the 3rd to pick one up if I have time. Leaving just 6 homeless.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

flash_uk wrote:A small task which needs to be accomplished at this event. Sample bottles need to be distributed by Julian to certain attendees to allow them to take a sample from the bottle(s) they are bringing to the 97 Maturity Assessment on 16 June (said bottles to be decanted the previous evening where possible). Sample bottles distributed as follows:
Julian - leaves a further 14 at TBH. MPM will collect 7. The remaining 7 will be used on the night of the 16th.

All clear?
I think you posted to the wrong event.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

PhilW wrote:
flash_uk wrote:A small task which needs to be accomplished at this event. Sample bottles need to be distributed by Julian to certain attendees to allow them to take a sample from the bottle(s) they are bringing to the 97 Maturity Assessment on 16 June (said bottles to be decanted the previous evening where possible). Sample bottles distributed as follows:

All clear?
No it's posted to the correct event - sample bottles are being handed out at this event (3 June), to allow samples for the 97 Maturity bottles to be taken at time of decant on the 15 June (day before that event). Hence posting here, mainly to remind Julian how many sample bottles to give everyone! :D
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:Wolfgang: please could you make, carefully, an accurate list of who is bringing what. There is an FG coming from Dries via Paris, and another from Tom.
The simple solution would be for Oscar to adopt the bottle of FG58 that is coming from Dries, which I swapped for a bottle of port that I need to send over to the Netherlands in the near future.

Oscar, I will PM you.

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

flash_uk wrote:
No it's posted to the correct event - sample bottles are being handed out at this event (3 June), to allow samples for the 97 Maturity bottles to be taken at time of decant on the 15 June (day before that event). Hence posting here, mainly to remind Julian how many sample bottles to give everyone! :D
Thanks for the clarification, my mistake; I hadn't realised from your post that you were talking about distribution of *empty* sample bottles, hence my confusion.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Wolfgang: please could you make, carefully, an accurate list of who is bringing what. There is an FG coming from Dries via Paris, and another from Tom.
The simple solution would be for Oscar to adopt the bottle of FG58 that is coming from Dries, which I swapped for a bottle of port that I need to send over to the Netherlands in the near future.

Oscar, I will PM you.
All is sorted. Oscar is adopting the FG58 from Dries.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

WS1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Wolfgang: please accept command of Port Sourcing. Placemats will follow your guidance. I have changed the authorship of the first post, so that you can now edit it. Please keep it ship-shape. And don’t forget that RAYC is on a bicycle in the USA.
Accepted and done. Tom will join us on the 3rd of June; so we will be 8 people. Have also raided a bit his cellar for interesting 58s. Will bring 4bts (Constantino, Martinez, Delaforce and Burmester) over the course of next week to the Bunghole so they can rest (standing up). Can please bring AHB and IDJ their ports in advance to the Bunghole for resting as well? Please let me know if this is feasible.

Plan is to open them in the morning of the day of the tasting and double decant them ~ late lunch time into identical bts in order to make the blind theme. I am planning to take the afternoon off if I can and do the honors with uncle tom and you if you have time.

The organisation of this tasting is not entirely on target.

Reading the thread, I think that we have the following. Please could gaps and errors be fixed.
  • FG58 from Dries for Oscar
    D58 from AHB
    N58 from AHB
    W58 from AHB
    Bm58 from THRA for BMHR
    Cn58 from THRA
    Df58 from THRA for PhilW
    Mz58 from THRA
    D58 from IDJ for IDJ
    N58 from IDJ for JDAW
(Edited following post by PhilW.)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Using your syntax: "Df58 from THRA for PhilW"
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
WS1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Wolfgang: please accept command of Port Sourcing. Placemats will follow your guidance. I have changed the authorship of the first post, so that you can now edit it. Please keep it ship-shape. And don’t forget that RAYC is on a bicycle in the USA.
Accepted and done. Tom will join us on the 3rd of June; so we will be 8 people. Have also raided a bit his cellar for interesting 58s. Will bring 4bts (Constantino, Martinez, Delaforce and Burmester) over the course of next week to the Bunghole so they can rest (standing up). Can please bring AHB and IDJ their ports in advance to the Bunghole for resting as well? Please let me know if this is feasible.

Plan is to open them in the morning of the day of the tasting and double decant them ~ late lunch time into identical bts in order to make the blind theme. I am planning to take the afternoon off if I can and do the honors with uncle tom and you if you have time.

The organisation of this tasting is not entirely on target.

Reading the thread, I think that we have the following. Please could gaps and errors be fixed.

• FG58 from Dries for Oscar
    D58 from AHB
    N58 from AHB
    W58 from AHB
    Bm58 from THRA for BMHR
    Cn58 from THRA
    Df58 from THRA for PhilW
    Mz58 from THRA
    D58 from IDJ for IDJ
    N58 from IDJ for JDAW
(Edited following post by PhilW.)

I agree there is some misunderstanding. Also the posts in this thread with regards to the 97 tasting did not help. Sent you a PM and hope it is now clear. Also left 4 bts of 58 vintage port in the Bungholes cellars. So only the 58 FG is not there yet based on my understanding.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

WS1, by private message, wrote:it looks there is a misunderstanding, we have 8 ports for 8 people.

i.1958 Constatino(uncle tom); which wastransported by Wolfgang to the Bunghole
ii.1958 Dow (IDJ); which wastransported by Alex to the Bunghole
iii.1958 Martinez (WPS); which was transported by Wolfgang to the Bunghole
iv.1958 Quinta do Noval (JDAW adopting from IDJ); which was transported by Alex to the Bunghole
v.1958 Delaforce (to be adopted from PW);which wastransported by Wolfgang to the Bunghole
vi.1958 Warre(AHB);which wastransported by Alex to the Bunghole
vii.1958 Burmester(to be adopted from BMHR). which wastransported by Wolfgang to the Bunghole
viii. 1958 FG Oscar adopting from Alex/Dries which is to be transported via your wife and you to the Bunghole

So we have currently 7bts of the 8bts of 58s sitting in the Bunghole's cellar. Hope this is now clear.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

WS1 and jdaw1 wrote:Current draft of the placemats.
Image Image Image

Blinding plan

Decanting is into decanters labelled with
Image Image

Two people then over-staple with blank cards. They leave, and two different people over-staple with decanter labels made from
Image Image
Please check. And, unusually, please check the cork-display page, as only that page credits the sources of bottles.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi JDAW,

blinding plan clear but get an reading error when trying to access the placemats. Can you please have a look.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
WS1 wrote:blinding plan clear but get an reading error when trying to access the placemats. Can you please have a look.
Weird: it works for me.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Something arrived from Paris.

Image Image Image
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
Image Image Image

Blinding plan

Decanting is into decanters labelled with
Image Image

Two people then over-staple with blank cards. They leave, and two different people over-staple with decanter labels made from
Image Image
Please check. And, unusually, please check the cork-display page, as only that page credits the sources of bottles.
I am not certain whether the Df58 is in fact from Wolfgang or Tom's stash; I paid Tom for it on Wolfgang's instruction, but it may have come from either of them, and either could have transported it to TBH - I know nothing! Wolfgang should be able to clarify bottle-source for us.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

jdaw1 wrote:Something arrived from Paris.

Image Image Image
Did the other 2 "specials" arrive as well?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk