Non-Oporto-btld Graham 1970 comparison (with Oporto control)

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Non-Oporto-btld Graham 1970 comparison (with Oporto cont

Post by PhilW »

"Whitwhams Wines Limited, Altrincham, Cheshire" was the best fit I could find also, seems to be a reasonable assumption.
(n.b. no apostrophe, and seems to have become "Whitwhams Wines" instead of "Whitwham and Company wines" sometime in the 60's)
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:"Whitwhams Wines Limited, Altrincham, Cheshire" was the best fit I could find also, seems to be a reasonable assumption.
(n.b. no apostrophe, and seems to have become "Whitwhams Wines" instead of "Whitwham and Company wines" sometime in the 60's)
We will list this as 'Presumed Whitwhams' until instructed otherwise.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Drat, now checked and as I thought, my G70 is Opoto bottled. Do I now need to acquire or adopt?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

idj123 wrote:Drat, now checked and as I thought, my G70 is Opoto bottled. Do I now need to acquire or adopt?
Adopt if possible. See above.
Daniel J.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

Dates permitting yes please.

I only have Oporto bottled G70 thus will need to adopt if that is possible?

Thanks
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As an academic exercise, I think the test is flawed as there is no opportunity to account and correct for variability within a case. For academic purposes, this tasting should be with half cases of each bottling that have been stored in an identical manner.

As an excuse for a a tasting, it's a brilliant idea. Subject to date, I'm a tentative - perhaps you could put me as first reserve? I have some G70 but I have no idea who bottled it and it is in offsite storage so might take me a while to find out.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:As an academic exercise, I think the test is flawed as there is no opportunity to account and correct for variability within a case. For academic purposes, this tasting should be with half cases of each bottling that have been stored in an identical manner.

As an excuse for a a tasting, it's a brilliant idea. Subject to date, I'm a tentative - perhaps you could put me as first reserve? I have some G70 but I have no idea who bottled it and it is in offsite storage so might take me a while to find out.
We who are academics have an adequate sufficiency of rigourousness in our work lives. This forum provides excellent opportunities for methodologically questionable experiments, which somehow contrive to have extremely useful outcomes.

I expect that we will seek to hold this somewhere around late Autumn (I was going to suggest November). But I haven't got that far yet. Hopefully it'll be sufficiently far ahead that all concerned can block it out in their diaries.
Daniel J.