2014 pre-Harvest Tour tasting, London, 9/23

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: 2014 pre-Harvest Tour tasting, London, 9/23

Post by djewesbury »

Email sent to Roberson's. Very tedious.

Some following posts moved to Apostrophe crimes by jdaw1.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Updated placemats here.
Changes: +DJ; -TBH, +Davy's at Woolgate; correction of TV69/G66 circle text transposition.
Pending: Confirmation of RAYC's bottle.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

PhilW wrote:Updated placemats here.
Changes: +DJ; -TBH, +Davy's at Woolgate; correction of TV69/G66 circle text transposition.
Pending: Confirmation of RAYC's bottle.
Like the new venue! It is the Davies just 50 meters away from my office! To the TBH I needed a bus ride of 15 minutes walk! But it was on the way home.
RAYC indicated I should pick up his bt somewhere, but he has not unleashed to me what and when. :wink: :lol:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please could photographs be taken and posted, in a similar manner to those taken for The Bunghole, Tue 10 Jan 2012: a splendid trial.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
flash_uk wrote:How about Davy’s at Woolgate Bar and Brasserie
A mere 100 yards from my office 88)
WS1 wrote:Like the new venue! It is the Davies just 50 meters away from my office!
DRT, meet WS1. WS1, meet DRT. You two should have lunch some time. :wink:

My hotel (the Premier Inn Holborn) is near TBH. Is that a reasonable walk from Davy's at Woolgate after a Port tasting, or should I be prepared to hail a cab? Google says it is 1.4 miles, which should be fine distance-wise, so I ask primarily regarding lighting and neighborhood safety.
Glenn Elliott
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:
flash_uk wrote:How about Davy’s at Woolgate Bar and Brasserie
A mere 100 yards from my office 88)
WS1 wrote:Like the new venue! It is the Davies just 50 meters away from my office!
DRT, meet WS1. WS1, meet DRT. You two should have lunch some time. :wink:

My hotel (the Premier Inn Holborn) is near TBH. Is that a reasonable walk from Davy's at Woolgate after a Port tasting, or should I be prepared to hail a cab? Google says it is 1.4 miles, which should be fine distance-wise, so I ask primarily regarding lighting and neighborhood safety.
If you're happy with the distance, then it's fine in terms of safety. The City at closing time on a weeknight is not particularly rowdy.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

djewesbury wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:My hotel (the Premier Inn Holborn) is near TBH. Is that a reasonable walk from Davy's at Woolgate after a Port tasting, or should I be prepared to hail a cab? Google says it is 1.4 miles, which should be fine distance-wise, so I ask primarily regarding lighting and neighborhood safety.
If you're happy with the distance, then it's fine in terms of safety. The City at closing time on a weeknight is not particularly rowdy.
Excellent, thank you.
Glenn Elliott
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk wrote:
djewesbury wrote: Excellent! The whole Family Flash enjoying the goodness of G85
That would be true, were it not that Roberson have packaged and shipped a Warre 85...
Roberson have now delivered the Graham 85 so we are once again in good shape!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:
flash_uk wrote:
djewesbury wrote: Excellent! The whole Family Flash enjoying the goodness of G85
That would be true, were it not that Roberson have packaged and shipped a Warre 85...
Roberson have now delivered the Graham 85 so we are once again in good shape!
Praise be.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:My hotel (the Premier Inn Holborn) is near TBH. Is that a reasonable walk from Davy's at Woolgate after a Port tasting, or should I be prepared to hail a cab? Google says it is 1.4 miles, which should be fine distance-wise, so I ask primarily regarding lighting and neighborhood safety.
Excellent, thank you.
Glenn, the location is surrounded by a number of tube stations. Bank, Mansion House, Canon Street, St Paul's, Barbican and Moorgate spring to mind. All of them are a 10 minute walk from Davy's Woolgate Exchange. I have regularly walked from my office, close to DWE to The Bung Hole in around 25 minutes. Finding a tube from Holborn to the area around DWE saves very little time. An alternative, if you encounter September seasonal weather in London, is to get a bus along High Holborn to Cheapside and walk the other 5 minutes.

Top tip: download the Citymapper app when (or before) you get to London. You will not regret it :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Phil,

Alex and I had a chat with Simon this evening. It seems it would help the venue in you pre-ordered food for this tasting from the menu on their website. Simon asked that you email the restaurant so that he has your email address so that this can be organsied should you wish to go down that route. If you do, the wider range of Donald Russell steaks might be available should you and the team wish to indulge.
Ernest H. Cockburn
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

DRT wrote:It seems it would help the venue in you pre-ordered food for this tasting from the menu on their website.
Just to make sure that everybody is looking at the same menu. Do mean this one:
http://www.davy.co.uk/documents/winebar ... MA1_AW.pdf ?
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AW77 wrote:
DRT wrote:It seems it would help the venue in you pre-ordered food for this tasting from the menu on their website.
Yes, that's the one. The rib steak was delicious. I will be going back to try the salt marsh lamb very soon :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
AW77 wrote:
Yes, that's the one. The rib steak was delicious. I will be going back to try the salt marsh lamb very soon :D
I always have problems with metric menus. 200g steak is... roughly 7.5 oz? That seems like a nice appetizer. :?

If such a pre-order is placed, please put me down for a 220g fillet, surf & turf, with a fried egg. I will happily share a side of parm & truffle fries or truffle mac & cheese if sides also need to be pre-ordered. I'll likely pass on dessert (because: Port), but might spontaneously order a cheese plate once there.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Phil,

Alex and I had a chat with Simon this evening. It seems it would help the venue in you pre-ordered food for this tasting from the menu on their website. Simon asked that you email the restaurant so that he has your email address so that this can be organsied should you wish to go down that route. If you do, the wider range of Donald Russell steaks might be available should you and the team wish to indulge.
Email sent. Will follow-up to sort food order with attendees once I have the confirmed menu with any extra options.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

I now have the menu for the evening, which I have made available here. Please could all attendees reply either in-thread or by PM to let me know their choice of starter and main course by the end of Thu, and I will place our order on Friday morning. Thank you.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Thx for handling the admin Phil. For me, Crispy duck with coriander and a tangy orange dressing followed by RIbeye, med-rare.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Yes, thank you for handling the arrangements Phil.

I would also like the crispy duck with coriander and tangy orange dressing, followed by a fillet with béarnaise sauce. Since no two steak restaurants cook steaks the same way, I prefer my steak to be pink or red all through, but not bloody. Typically in the US that is considered medium or medium rare.
Glenn Elliott
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Phil, thanks for taking care of our culinary well-being! :) PM with my wishes sent.

Another thing that's on my mind as a newcomer to the TPF tastings: will the water on the table (that we should drink to balance the effect of the port) be still i.e. non-carbonated ? I find it easier to drink large amounts of still water than of the carbonated kind. Here in Germany, where there seems to be a law that every mineral water must be carbonated, I mostly bring along my own (non-carbonated) water.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

The water will be still. In another dissimilarity with German restaurants, it will be FREE!
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:FREE!
In the French sense of gratuit (£0), rather than libre (not being trapped by gravity and a transparent cage).
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:FREE!
In the French sense of gratuit (£0), rather than libre (not being trapped by gravity and a transparent cage).
Or in the sense used by Rousseau.
Daniel J.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Apologies - i haven't been checking the board while on sabbatical so didn't see the questions coming my way.

And double apologies - particularly to Glenn - as rain / bike breakages in the Pyrenees means that I am so far behind schedule that I have had to change my flight back and will now miss this tasting. This is particularly awkward as the Garrafeira 64 (a shared bottle between WS1 and I) is sitting in my wine fridge, so instead he will bring the Taylor 1964 single harvest tawny that I had originally intended to supply.

Hope you all have a good one
Rob C.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

RAYC wrote:I have had to change my flight back and will now miss this tasting.
:(

We will miss you. I had no idea that you were riding the Pyrenees! That would have made for some fun stories, no doubt.

I hope that the rest of your trip goes smoothly. We'll meet up next time!
Glenn Elliott