The Doty Cup 2014 - The Square 3/21 7pm

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: The Doty Cup 2014 - The Square 3/21 7pm

Post by DRT »

At this point I am in. My hotel is booked and, more importantly, I have a placemat.

But my employer doesn't think this or any other aspect of my life currently trumps their needs. To be fair, their needs are justified. I might, at short notice, become unavoidably unavailable.

Will keep you posted.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Ok DRT - please keep us informed. It would be a tremendous pity not to have you, especially as you're the last TPF competitor standing, and need to represent.

one week away!!

woooooooooooooo
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:I might, at short notice, become unavoidably unavailable.
Aren't you an actuary? I'd expect greater precision than "might" from an actuary. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:Aren't you an actuary?
{Sitting-comfortably-waiting-for-show-emoticon}
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
Aren't you an actuary?
WHAT!?!?

I have worked with Actuaries for over a decade. When I retire I will be fully qualified in the art of herding cats (or perhaps shooting them).

Anyway, I will try to forget the above. Unfortunately the fat lady has sung. I will be hundreds of miles from The Square on Friday so will be unable to attend. My presentation on "Successfully achieving a work/life balance" will have to wait for Doty Cup III.

Chris, sincere apologies for the late withdrawal. If some of my £ are required to avoid increased proportionate costs for you and/or others please let me know by email or PM and it will be so.

Glenn, go to your room and consider what you have done. No Port allowed for three days.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
Aren't you an actuary? I'd expect greater precision than "might" from an actuary. :wink:
An Actuary was walking along a country road and met a farmer. "What do you do for a living" said the farmer, "I'm an Actuary" was the reply. Pointing to his neighbour's field the farmer said "how many sheep are in there then?", "1001" was the instant reply. "How did you do that so quickly?" said the farmer, "Because there are about a thousand over there and that one over there."

How can you spot the extrovert in a room full of Actuaries?

He's the one looking at YOUR shoes.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:the art of herding cats (or perhaps shooting them).
The difference between dogs and cats:

If you shoot one dog in a pack, the rest of the dogs look upon you as a god with the power of life and death. You are forever their Alpha and they will both fear and respect you for your awesome might.

If you shoot one cat in a herd, the rest of the cats look at you, look at the dead cat, and then think "if I had opposable thumbs I'd have done the same" and before going on about their business ignoring you.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Updated draft of the placemats.
  • –DRT.
Image Image Image
Chris Doty wrote:1.) Chris
2.) RAYC
3.) DRT
4.) Liz
5.) Laurie
6.) Richard Z
7.) Tokyo Tim
8.) Jerome F
9.) The artist formerly known as Jajow
10.) Reed
11.) Musta
12.) Muggins
By what concise name do you want each of these to be named on the placemats? As you have them, excepting “↓Jajow”?

Given the predominance of newcomers (sorry Chris, but most people did say early that Friday 21st didn’t work, even if I was rubbish and said it late), would it be less confusing to name things 1A 1B 2A 2B … 6A 6B?

Organisers (Chris and Rob): I’ve given you decanter labels and sticky bottle labels and pre-pour sheets. Please confirm satisfactory.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

DRT wrote:
Unfortunately the fat lady has sung....
I am devastated to hear this DRT, as we were counting on you to build a TPF bridge (this could have served as a recruitment event, of sorts) and with more inexperienced tasters, I thought you would have been the favorite to take home the hardware.

Hopefully we'll catch up in June on my next trip over to London.

I hope you have an enjoyable Friday evening, and we will add your name to the list of people we're toasting to.

I can already sense that 2015 will be hotly contested.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I am really sorry that I am missing this. Sorry mostly for me, but also for any perceived slight to the illustrious host.

Who is printing?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I had hoped that there might have been a slim chance of me heading home a day early and sneaking in late to the Cup. Sadly that is not the case. I am still in Istanbul.

I hope everyone enjoys the event and that we have a dozen new members on TPF as a result. Best of luck to all the competitors and I hope to catch up with Chris in June.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Good luck to all. May the presentations be wonderful and the port and food thrilling. Very interested to read the review when it's up.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

So what happened last night??? Are you all still alive?
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Cracking evening, in my humble/biased estimation.

Kudos to RAYC for excellent co-hosting, scoring, and providing a beautiful flight of 70 and 66 Fonseca, both of which showed much younger and denser than their counterparts we enjoyed in New York just weeks ago.

Credit also must be heaped upon the Square, which was just absolute class from amouse to letting us lock up the restaurant at 1:30am! I don't want to host the Cup anywhere else.

And now...I am proud to announce that your 2014 Doty Cup Champion is.....
Crown Princess Iram Ahmed!!

Iram presented on the forthcoming general elections in India, supplied fabulous tasting notes, and was overall just a great embodiment of the Doty Cup. Unlike Rob's thrashing last year, Iram was neck-and-neck with a semi-professional wine taster, Tokyo Tim. Had Tim been able to explain the roots of the cultural significance of Cherry Blossoms, the cup almost surely would have been his, as Tim scored high marks for nearly identifying the 1990 Beaucastel (rouge and blanc vv) flight.

Incidentally, the Beaucastel 1990 Rouge was the runaway WOTN. Stunning, sensational. 1985 Tertre Roteboeuf was a close but clear second, and then the field tightened considerably in my eyes for third (ultimately captured by the Beaucastel blanc vv). The 1993 burgs were drinking super young, and the D'Angerville Ducs is certainly one to keep an eye on.

The Fonseca flight was double blind to me, and delicious. The super duper trix dessert was sensational, and I felt utterly foolish for worrying that the milk chocolate / banana component would not pair well w/ the ports.

As only Rob and myself represented TPF, the reviews thread may be skinny, but I will surely update it when Iram has sent a photo of the engraved cup.

Sorry so many from here were unable to attend. I will surely provide more advance notice for 2015.

Cheers
Chris
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I am delighted that the 2014 Doty Cup was a successful event and very interested to hear that the Square was an accommodating venue.

Congratulations to all, especially to Iram - but pray tell us the points that were scored by all so that we are left feeling less foolish.

And here's to hoping that I am in the same country as the Cup event when it is held in 2015.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.