Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by DRT » 00:29 Fri 22 Nov 2013

Reminding me of a challenge thrown down more than 5 years ago following a 1966 horizontal, jdaw1, by private message, wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9648#p9648]Here[/url] DRT wrote:Now then, the big question is, do we do the 1963 or the 1985 horizontal first?
That decision has been taken. What next?
So, we have now done the 1963 vintage and have re-visited 1966 at least once. We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by djewesbury » 00:44 Fri 22 Nov 2013

DRT wrote:
Reminding me of a challenge thrown down more than 5 years ago following a 1966 horizontal, jdaw1, by private message, wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=9648#p9648]Here[/url] DRT wrote:Now then, the big question is, do we do the 1963 or the 1985 horizontal first?
That decision has been taken. What next?
So, we have now done the 1963 vintage and have re-visited 1966 at least once. We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
We did an 83 v 85 very recently...
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by DRT » 01:01 Fri 22 Nov 2013

djewesbury wrote:We did an 83 v 85 very recently...
Are you making a point or an observation?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by djewesbury » 01:02 Fri 22 Nov 2013

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:We did an 83 v 85 very recently...
Are you making a point or an observation?
Merely inviting comment. Do we want to do 85 again so soon? We could wait 18 months..?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by DRT » 01:04 Fri 22 Nov 2013

It was JDAW's suggestion to post this now. I will leave him to make arguments regarding timing.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2489
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by PhilW » 10:08 Fri 22 Nov 2013

DRT wrote:Who is in?
I would be in. Given the relatively low cost of wines from the year (compared with old verticals), perhaps this could be a pretty broad horizontal (2bt/person)?

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by DRT » 10:36 Fri 22 Nov 2013

PhilW wrote:
DRT wrote:Who is in?
I would be in. Given the relatively low cost of wines from the year (compared with old verticals), perhaps this could be a pretty broad horizontal (2bt/person)?
Agreed. One drinkable and one horribly tainted with VA :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2489
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by PhilW » 10:40 Fri 22 Nov 2013

DRT wrote:
PhilW wrote:
DRT wrote:Who is in?
I would be in. Given the relatively low cost of wines from the year (compared with old verticals), perhaps this could be a pretty broad horizontal (2bt/person)?
Agreed. One drinkable and one horribly tainted with VA :lol:
You're bringing the Cockburn then I take it!

CPR 1
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 308
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by CPR 1 » 11:10 Fri 22 Nov 2013

I would certainly be game

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19745
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by jdaw1 » 11:11 Fri 22 Nov 2013

A 1985 Horizontal soon does not preclude another 1985 Horizontal in eighteen months, or after, or before, or all three.

I’m in.
PhilW wrote:Given the relatively low cost of wines from the year (compared with old verticals), perhaps this could be a pretty broad horizontal (2bt/person)?
DRT wrote:Agreed. One drinkable and one horribly tainted with VA :lol:
Splendid suggestion and reasoning.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by djewesbury » 13:56 Fri 22 Nov 2013

jdaw1 wrote:A 1985 Horizontal soon does not preclude another 1985 Horizontal in eighteen months, or after, or before, or all three.

I’m in.
PhilW wrote:Given the relatively low cost of wines from the year (compared with old verticals), perhaps this could be a pretty broad horizontal (2bt/person)?
DRT wrote:Agreed. One drinkable and one horribly tainted with VA :lol:
Splendid suggestion and reasoning.
OK OK, I never said I wasn't in. I'm in.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11378
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by AHB » 14:48 Fri 22 Nov 2013

I might be, it depends on where and when.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19745
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by jdaw1 » 15:33 Fri 22 Nov 2013

In reply to the obvious question not yet asked: Churchill, Fonseca, Martinez, Taylor (single and magnum), and maybe (need to check) Warre magnums.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by djewesbury » 15:35 Fri 22 Nov 2013

Can I vote for WOTN yet?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11378
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by AHB » 15:37 Fri 22 Nov 2013

I have Churchill, Dow, Fonseca, Graham, Martinez; Warre in 37½ and 75 cl.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by Glenn E. » 17:14 Fri 22 Nov 2013

DRT wrote:We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
Is this a preview of the horizontal I have planned for 2015 that you all are going to fly to Seattle to attend?

(Sitting at 24 confirmed bottles with 6 more expected.)
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by djewesbury » 17:15 Fri 22 Nov 2013

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
Is this a preview of the horizontal I have planned for 2015 that you all are going to fly to Seattle to attend?

(Sitting at 24 confirmed bottles with 6 more expected.)
I'm in!
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by Glenn E. » 17:19 Fri 22 Nov 2013

djewesbury wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
Is this a preview of the horizontal I have planned for 2015 that you all are going to fly to Seattle to attend?

(Sitting at 24 confirmed bottles with 6 more expected.)
I'm in!
Excellent, that brings us to ~7 so far...
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11378
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by AHB » 18:20 Sat 23 Nov 2013

Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
Is this a preview of the horizontal I have planned for 2015 that you all are going to fly to Seattle to attend?

(Sitting at 24 confirmed bottles with 6 more expected.)
Hmmm. What time of year? If it is in UK school holidays and doesn't clash with our August plans I might enquire whether Elizabeth would enjoy a trip to Washington in 2015.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3349
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by Glenn E. » 19:05 Sat 23 Nov 2013

AHB wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
Is this a preview of the horizontal I have planned for 2015 that you all are going to fly to Seattle to attend?

(Sitting at 24 confirmed bottles with 6 more expected.)
Hmmm. What time of year? If it is in UK school holidays and doesn't clash with our August plans I might enquire whether Elizabeth would enjoy a trip to Washington in 2015.
I was thinking early in the year, possibly January or February. No definitive time has yet been set - I intend to work around travel schedules as much as possible.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8153
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by djewesbury » 19:06 Sat 23 Nov 2013

Glenn E. wrote:
AHB wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
DRT wrote:We now need to do 1985 justice and put the VA question to bed.

Who is in?
Is this a preview of the horizontal I have planned for 2015 that you all are going to fly to Seattle to attend?

(Sitting at 24 confirmed bottles with 6 more expected.)
Hmmm. What time of year? If it is in UK school holidays and doesn't clash with our August plans I might enquire whether Elizabeth would enjoy a trip to Washington in 2015.
I was thinking early in the year, possibly January or February. No definitive time has yet been set - I intend to work around travel schedules as much as possible.
If my schedule is the same in 2015 as it is for 2014, then early New Year would be very good... Before university term starts again...
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Justin K
Fonseca Bin 27
Posts: 51
Joined: 19:19 Mon 15 Dec 2008

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by Justin K » 23:32 Sat 23 Nov 2013

Early 2014 for me also, Delaforce, Fonseca, Martinez, Taylor and Warres.

User avatar
uncle tom
Dow 1980
Posts: 2773
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by uncle tom » 10:22 Sun 24 Nov 2013

I have 22 different '85s, so supply is not an issue.

Would like to participate, but not before April
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19745
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by jdaw1 » 11:19 Sun 24 Nov 2013

Can it be May?

User avatar
Axel P
Niepoort 1977
Posts: 1719
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: Time for a 1985 horizontal?

Post by Axel P » 17:01 Sun 24 Nov 2013

I got 22 houses, too, so we should try to make it big. Please count me in.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

Post Reply