60 vs 63

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 60 vs 63

Post by DRT »

Wolfgang,

I like some of these I ideas but will leave Tom to respond as he is organising this.

On the subject of the Audouze method, before deciding whether or not to do this for this tasting perhaps we should do an experiment to prove/disprove the theory? We could pick a reliable mature vintage (1970?), select a few reliable shippers (Fonseca, Graham, Taylor, Warre, Dow?), take two bottles of each from the same source and then decant one set using Audouze and one by "normal" method and compare them side by side. Interested?

If so this can be split into a separate thread and performed in advance of the 60v63 tasting.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Can we assume you mean the standard Noval bottlings only?
Yes.

PW & WS - ? marks removed.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Yes please.
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

uncle tom wrote: BMHR?
Yes please! Limited opportunity to contribute bottle-wise though.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

DRT wrote:Wolfgang,

I like some of these I ideas but will leave Tom to respond as he is organising this.

On the subject of the Audouze method, before deciding whether or not to do this for this tasting perhaps we should do an experiment to prove/disprove the theory? We could pick a reliable mature vintage (1970?), select a few reliable shippers (Fonseca, Graham, Taylor, Warre, Dow?), take two bottles of each from the same source and then decant one set using Audouze and one by "normal" method and compare them side by side. Interested?

If so this can be split into a separate thread and performed in advance of the 60v63 tasting.

Derek
Hi Derek,

sure why not; please help me putting it into a separate ththread. But I must say it is not only about opening the bottle 3 hours in advance. It is also not to travel the bt shortly before opening it. These preparation measures really help to get most of a bt of wine/port. You may remember when I brought a range of half bts to the Steak exchange at Liverpoolstreet. Those were prepared that way. I am sure the Noval 91 and various Malvedos (90, 92 and 95) from half bt would have not showed up as nice from half bt without this preparation.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:
TheBFT wrote:the b.f.t. 2014 on Thursday, 24th April
So Wednesday 23rd April is a possibility for ’60 versus ’63.
I’m sorry folks, but I completely forgot this when arranging the ’91-’92 with Sophia Bergqvist of Quinta de la Rosa.

My fault. I’m sorry about forgetting the date of the ’60-’63.

Can this happen on a different date? Perhaps early May. (And also see matching post in the thread about the ’91-’92 double horizontal.)
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Had Dirk already been invited and accepted? If so, the prior arrangement should probably stand. if not, could we do it the week / two weeks before or after?
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:Had Dirk already been invited and accepted? If so, the prior arrangement should probably stand. if not, could we do it the week / two weeks before or after?
I asked Dirk if he could make that date for the 91-92 and he couldn't.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:
RAYC wrote:Had Dirk already been invited and accepted? If so, the prior arrangement should probably stand. if not, could we do it the week / two weeks before or after?
Is that because he thinks he is at the ’60-’63?
Agreed.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
I presume he would ask whether there were a clash if he received two separate invitations from TPF. Has someone on this thread already asked Dirk?
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
I presume he would ask whether there were a clash if he received two separate invitations from TPF. Has someone on this thread already asked Dirk?
It's not unknown for us to have events on successive nights. I had read the 60v63 as being "on the back of the BFT", i.e. the evening following (rather than the Wed 24th suggested later in the thread), so thought the 60/63 was targetted for the 24th, and therefore also declined the 91-92 on the 23rd as two nights away would likely be unfeasible that week. Also Dirk might have declined the night of the 23rd if he is preparing that evening for the BFT the following day, perhaps?

If we do move the 60/63 then in the couple of weeks after would work for me, before less likely (due to school holidays and other engagements at end of March), though that is only my personal situation.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I have emailed EDN to clarify.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:It's not unknown for us to have events on successive nights. I had read the 60v63 as being "on the back of the BFT", i.e. the evening following (rather than the Wed 24th suggested later in the thread)
I learnt my lesson last year. Post-BFT I’ll be fit for, at most, two pints of ale, and then going home. My palate will not be sensitive enough for a worthwhile Port tasting. Sorry chaps. YMMV. Mine won’t.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW wrote:It's not unknown for us to have events on successive nights. I had read the 60v63 as being "on the back of the BFT", i.e. the evening following (rather than the Wed 24th suggested later in the thread)
I learnt my lesson last year. Post-BFT I’ll be fit for, at most, two pints of ale, and then going home. My palate will not be sensitive enough for a worthwhile Port tasting. Sorry chaps. YMMV. Mine won’t.
I agree that the night before makes more sense, whichever theme we are doing (though we should ensure any already invited guests are not inconvenienced by any changes where possible).
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

djewesbury wrote:I have emailed EDN to clarify.
Or just ask Tom....!
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:
Or just ask Tom....!
An answer might be just as quick from either. Please do ask Tom, indeed.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Dirk Niepoort, in an email, wrote:it looks to me that 23 april is just fine for me !
what is the audouze method?? i would rather taste the 60 / 63 side by side. clearly.
Daniel J.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

djewesbury wrote:
RAYC wrote:
Or just ask Tom....!
Tom confirmed that he had not yet invited Dirk to this (or even mentioned it to him) before your email...hence the suggestion to check with him first!

Should we be finding space for Sophia at this tasting if there is a pre-existing invite outstanding to her?
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

60 vs 63

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
RAYC wrote:
Or just ask Tom....!
Tom confirmed that he had not yet invited Dirk to this (or even mentioned it to him) before your email...hence the suggestion to check with him first!
Hence posting my initial enquiry.
RAYC wrote:Should we be finding space for Sophia at this tasting if there is a pre-existing invite outstanding to her?
Julian's call.
Daniel J.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

djewesbury wrote: Hence posting my initial enquiry.
? where

It seems to me that we now have a problem of our own making, with two IGs invited for two separate events on the same night!
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:
? where

It seems to me that we now have a problem of our own making, with two IGs invited for two separate events on the same night!
Above. Scroll up.

Julian is already in touch with Sophia and will reschedule with her. The 91/92 event doesn't have to happen on that date. Also, Sophia may well be interested in attending other events, as she said in Belfast. I don't see that we have a problem.
Daniel J.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

djewesbury wrote:
RAYC wrote:
? where

Above. Scroll up.
The bit where you gave Tom 24 minutes to respond on the forum before emailing?!
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

RAYC wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
RAYC wrote:
? where

Above. Scroll up.
The bit where you gave Tom 24 minutes to respond on the forum before emailing?!
Do we have a problem? Someone has - in principle - signalled their availability, nothing more, on a particular date, and someone else has signalled their flexibility around that date, and yet another person is in communication with that person.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:Tom confirmed that he had not yet invited Dirk to this (or even mentioned it to him) before your email...hence the suggestion to check with him first!
That would have affected which had priority. Except that now we have dug ourselves in deeper by pseudo-inviting EDN, and by my telling SB that we need to change date. No, not optimally handled.

Rob: starting from here rather than from where we were six hours ago what do you want done?
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Cant we move the two around as I believe that the 91 vs 92 tasting will not be as demanding as the 60-63 tasting. Most non-Uk/London-based guys will have a hard time to attend both. Lets have the 60-63 tasting on 23 and the 91-92 tasting on 24.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com