Tuesday, October 8th, London, "Bring a bottle to share"

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Tuesday, October 8th, London

Post by Andy Velebil »

idj123 wrote:If there is still space I wouldn't mind attending this offline and if it takes the pressure off of Wolfgang a bit I have a bt of calem 77 I can bring?

Ian
There is space as far as I know, so got you down.

Anyone, what's the seating capacity at the table there??
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW, by text message, wrote:Am on holiday in Wales at mo. Just seen 8th Oct Calem thread but have no login access. would be obliged if you would add my intention to attend in thread? Thanks.
Got Phil down.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:Anyone, what's the seating capacity at the table there??
Fourteen can be done (last three pictures are of the room, also see Taylor vertical), but is tighter than comfortable. But certainly more spacious than the Crusting Pipe, which was used for a vertical exactly five years previously.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Tuesday, October 8th, London, CALEM tasting

Post by Andy Velebil »

I updated the first post with details.

What time is best for everyone to meet???? (not a word from JDAW1 about those question marks, as I didn't use any of these :!: in the last three posts :lol: )
Last edited by Andy Velebil on 14:38 Sat 24 Aug 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Anyone, what's the seating capacity at the table there??
Fourteen can be done (last three pictures are of the room, also see Taylor vertical), but is tighter than comfortable. But certainly more spacious than the Crusting Pipe, which was used for a vertical exactly five years previously.
Ok, if we keep it around 10-ish or so people max, we should be good.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:Ok, if we keep it around 10-ish or so people max, we should be good.
Bottles are the tighter constraint. With nine bottles and no more to be found we shouldn’t have more than eight people.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Ok, if we keep it around 10-ish or so people max, we should be good.
Bottles are the tighter constraint. With nine bottles and no more to be found we shouldn’t have more than eight people.
Ok that works too. If we get more bottles we can add bodies beyond 8 if need be.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:Ok that works too. If we get more bottles we can add bodies beyond 8 if need be.
Not obviously for sale in the UK, nor in the US.
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

If there is still a space I would love to attend, I am likely going to have to adopt.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Christopher wrote:If there is still a space I would love to attend, I am likely going to have to adopt.
Yes, there is always room and if not we will make room. Adopt if you can, bring a young vintage of Calem if you find one, or bring something else entirely you want to share.

I don't get out to London often and this evening is more about spending a fun evening with friends and fellow Port lovers who I don't get to see very often. Not about someone worrying they can't attend because they don't have a bottle of an obscure VP named Calem.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:Yes, there is always room and if not we will make room. Adopt if you can, bring a young vintage of Calem if you find one, or bring something else entirely you want to share.

I don't get out to London often and this evening is more about spending a fun evening with friends and fellow Port lovers who I don't get to see very often. Not about someone worrying they can't attend because they don't have a bottle of an obscure VP named Calem.
I agree with all that.

Question, not proposal: should the theme become ‟Cálem and Kopke”?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:

Question, not proposal: should the theme become ‟Cálem and Kopke”?
How about Calem and friends?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:How about Calem and friends?
I don’t know Cálem. Who are Cálem’s friends?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:
Calem has many many friends. The list of friends is as long as those which are registered with the IVDP to make and sell Port. 88)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Calem has many many friends. The list of friends is as long as those which are registered with the IVDP to make and sell Port. 88)
Latest draft of the placemats has header ‟Cálem and not Cálem”.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I'm game

Don't have much in the way of old Calems, but I do have the '35 (bottled in Champagne bottles)

Can I open a '35?

- Computer says: Yes
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm in. I don't have any Calem not already on the list, but I'm happy to bring something else suitable. How would a Cockburn 1967 work?

6:30 as a start time seems to work quite well.

14 round the table at the Bung Hole works fine, although it is a bit tight. The trick is to choose a night when we can eat dinner at a separate table - a Tuesday night should give us a good chance of being able to do so.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

uncle tom wrote:I'm game

Don't have much in the way of old Calems, but I do have the '35 (bottled in Champagne bottles)

Can I open a '35?

- Computer says: Yes
Very generous computer, Thank you. Do you why they used Champagne bottles?
AHB wrote:I'm in. I don't have any Calem not already on the list, but I'm happy to bring something else suitable. How would a Cockburn 1967 work?

6:30 as a start time seems to work quite well.

14 round the table at the Bung Hole works fine, although it is a bit tight. The trick is to choose a night when we can eat dinner at a separate table - a Tuesday night should give us a good chance of being able to do so.
Whatever you would like to bring is perfect. Meaning Ck '67 is perfect
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Andy Velebil wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
PhilW, by text message, wrote:Am on holiday in Wales at mo. Just seen 8th Oct Calem thread but have no login access. would be obliged if you would add my intention to attend in thread? Thanks.
Got Phil down.
Thank you, and thanks to JDAW for forwarding my note while I was away unable to post. I have Cá63 (one bottle), Cá83 and Cá85 available. Alternatively, if we're getting a bit light on bottles and Wolfgang has the Cálems covered with others adopting etc, then I could bring a Croft 70 - same initial as Cá, same number of letters as Cálem, a missing obvious year - surely one of "Cálem’s friends"?
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Re: Tuesday, October 8th, London, CALEM (and friends) tastin

Post by Christopher »

I am afraid no Calem, I shall be bringing a Taylor Pinhao 31 plus a back up bottle of something else to ensure we do not run dry!
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

If there's enthusiasm to add more Calem ports, this french online retailer has an interesting line-up of 90 - 94 - 97 Quinta do Sagrado VPs available: link
Rob C.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Do you [know] why they used Champagne bottles?
No. The corks are sawn off champagne corks - very odd. I wonder whether they might be French bottled, perhaps..

I bought six of them back in October 2009, and one was adopted by Ben for the xmas bash that year:

http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 1935+calem
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

jdaw1 wrote:First draft of the placemats.
Image Image

Wolfgang: approximately everybody is adopting from you. Instead, why don’t you own the whole tasting, and tell us approximately everybody the cost of a share. Would that be simpler than an arbitrary assignment of my adopting one vintage and somebody else adopting another?
agree that this would probably best since I have of all contributed bts more than 1bt. Also good news and bad news. Found the 63 Calem (glorious colour and into neck level :P ) and the 1997 Calem VP as well as a 1997 Calem Quinta da Foz. So I guess we have to try both or what do attendees think?
cost for the ports (2x 97, 95, 85, 83, 80, 77, 63 and 60) would be 26£ per head if we are 14 people. Please let me know how we want to go ahead.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

WS1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:First draft of the placemats.
Image Image

Wolfgang: approximately everybody is adopting from you. Instead, why don’t you own the whole tasting, and tell us approximately everybody the cost of a share. Would that be simpler than an arbitrary assignment of my adopting one vintage and somebody else adopting another?
agree that this would probably best since I have of all contributed bts more than 1bt. Also good news and bad news. Found the 63 Calem (glorious colour and into neck level :P ) and the 1997 Calem VP as well as a 1997 Calem Quinta da Foz. So I guess we have to try both or what do attendees think?
cost for the ports (2x 97, 95, 85, 83, 80, 77, 63 and 60) would be 26£ per head if we are 14 people. Please let me know how we want to go ahead.

regards

WS1
Not sure this suggestion works particularly well if THRA is bringing a '35 Calem, Christopher is bringing a 31 Taylor Pinhao, Alex is bringing a 67 Cockburn and I am bringing 60s / 70s bottle of something (perhaps a nice occasion for a 69 Vargellas if Phil is attending and AHB still hasn't tried it, as mentioned here?).
Last edited by RAYC on 13:51 Wed 28 Aug 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:I have booked the Function Room at The Bung Hole (57 High Holborn, London WC1V 6DT, tel +44 20 7831 8365, streetmap.co.uk, maps.google.co.uk, bing.com).
Have you also enquired about eating outside the function room? Once up to 8 (or more) attendees, i think that becomes worthwhile rather than trying to squeeze food next to port.
Rob C.