Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by jdaw1 » 14:06 Tue 18 Jun 2013

RAYC wrote:No doubt there are others as well.
Including Constantino and Messias Quinta do Cachão.

Perhaps also A. Pinto dos Santos, Barbosa, Dalva, Feuerheerd, Mackenzie, Rozès, and Tuke Holdsworth.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8154
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Post by djewesbury » 15:14 Tue 18 Jun 2013

OK, my point was to find out whether we had any availability of interesting / minor 66s before we go to 67. What thoughts?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by RAYC » 15:55 Tue 18 Jun 2013

THRA has offered Rebello Valente 66 upthread. I'm not aware of any other possibilities

Within the UK but outside the cellars of those attending, Morgan, Krohn and Delaforce 66 seem to be obtainable, albeit we would not exactly be giving it a chance to shine if subjecting it to courier / postage at this late stage.

Cockburn / Sandeman 67 would be available for adoption if there were an extra person who needed something without resorting to duplication, and i suspect there's a strong chance that Martinez would be too.
Rob C.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by jdaw1 » 16:16 Tue 18 Jun 2013

RAYC wrote:without resorting to duplication
For ports with enough age to be at risk, I don’t mind duplication. And if both are fabulous, well, is that so terrible?

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by RAYC » 16:51 Tue 18 Jun 2013

jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:without resorting to duplication
For ports with enough age to be at risk, I don’t mind duplication. And if both are fabulous, well, is that so terrible?
A very good point.
Rob C.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15254
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by DRT » 22:22 Tue 18 Jun 2013

Eight mouths and eleven Ports is almost enough for a school night.

I don't like the idea of introducing non-66s unless we do it properly - properly meaning eleven 66s.

Should we buy a team Niepoort 1966 to make it six on each page?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by jdaw1 » 22:29 Tue 18 Jun 2013

DRT wrote:Should we buy a team Niepoort 1966 to make it six on each page?
I wouldn’t want you to be needled by the asymmetry. Sure subject to a broader consensus.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15254
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by DRT » 22:37 Tue 18 Jun 2013

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Should we buy a team Niepoort 1966 {WARNING: tenuous attempt at a reasonable argument approaching} to make it six on each page?
I wouldn’t want you to be needled by the asymmetry. Sure subject to a broader consensus.
I have corrected my question in this post.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by RAYC » 22:49 Tue 18 Jun 2013

DRT wrote:Eight mouths and eleven Ports is almost enough for a school night.
we currently have but one bottle per person.
DRT wrote:
Should we buy a team Niepoort 1966 to make it six on each page?
In general i'm not a fan of shipping bottles within the last month to six weeks before a tasting, since i think i have found more success from my own bottles when adopting WS1's regime. My vote would therefore be for a confirmed Dow 66 before chasing down EUR200+ bottles of unknown provenance from Europe. However, i am happy to stump up if others want (subject to a minimum of a three-way split of the cost)
Last edited by RAYC on 22:55 Tue 18 Jun 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8154
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Post by djewesbury » 22:51 Tue 18 Jun 2013

Team Niepoort!!! Yeah!
(Sorry. I meant, yes. I would love this.)
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15254
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by DRT » 22:55 Tue 18 Jun 2013

DRT wrote:Eight mouths and eleven Ports is almost enough for a school night.
RAYC wrote:we currently have but one bottle per person.
Chris Doty wrote:CSD - Croft
AHB - Graham
JDAW - Dow?
DRT - Gould
PhilW - Warre
Danny J
RAYC* - Fonseca
WS1 - Noval
Eight people.
jdaw1 wrote:Image Image
Eleven bottles.
:?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by jdaw1 » 22:56 Tue 18 Jun 2013

RAYC wrote:In general i'm not a fan of shipping bottles within the last month to six weeks before a tasting, since i think i have found more success from my own bottles when adopting WS1's regime. My vote would therefore be for a confirmed Dow 66 before chasing down EUR200+ bottles of unknown provenance from Europe. However, i am happy to stump up if others want (subject to a minimum of a three-way split of the cost)
All seconded.

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by RAYC » 23:01 Tue 18 Jun 2013

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:Eight mouths and eleven Ports is almost enough for a school night.
RAYC wrote:we currently have but one bottle per person.
Chris Doty wrote:CSD - Croft
AHB - Graham
JDAW - Dow?
DRT - Gould
PhilW - Warre
Danny J
RAYC* - Fonseca
WS1 - Noval
Eight people.
jdaw1 wrote:Image Image
Eleven bottles.
:?
There have been recent developments which have not been reflected in CSD's first post, but which have been in jdaw1's placemats...(clue is in the circlearrays)
Rob C.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8154
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Post by djewesbury » 23:02 Tue 18 Jun 2013

BMHR, THRA and JB are all left off the list of people (you can quickly tell this since each bottle on the placemats is shown as being brought by a different person). So, 11 people.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15254
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by DRT » 23:04 Tue 18 Jun 2013

djewesbury wrote:BMHR, THRA and JB are all left off the list of people (you can quickly tell this since each bottle on the placemats is shown as being brought by a different person). So, 11 people.
You can quickly tell this if you have an 11 inch MacBook Air and 30 year old eyes :cry:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8154
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Post by djewesbury » 23:07 Tue 18 Jun 2013

iPhone and 40 year old eyes!! And I beat Rob to it!
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15254
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by DRT » 23:10 Tue 18 Jun 2013

djewesbury wrote:iPhone and 40 year old eyes!! And I beat Rob to it!
Wait eight years and try the same trick.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20534
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by jdaw1 » 23:34 Tue 18 Jun 2013

djewesbury wrote:And I beat Rob to it!
Rob’s post was sooner.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8154
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Post by djewesbury » 23:40 Tue 18 Jun 2013

Oh well. See, I'm old enough that I didn't notice that.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15254
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by DRT » 23:44 Tue 18 Jun 2013

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:And I beat Rob to it!
Rob’s post was sooner.
djewesbury wrote:Oh well. See, I'm old enough that I didn't notice that.
I'm so old I thought you were first in :shock:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2715
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by PhilW » 07:37 Wed 19 Jun 2013

jdaw1 wrote:
RAYC wrote:In general i'm not a fan of shipping bottles within the last month to six weeks before a tasting, since i think i have found more success from my own bottles when adopting WS1's regime. My vote would therefore be for a confirmed Dow 66 before chasing down EUR200+ bottles of unknown provenance from Europe. However, i am happy to stump up if others want (subject to a minimum of a three-way split of the cost)
All seconded.
thirded. or fourthed/however many.

Also, I see no problem with Cr66 x2. In fact the only possible issue I can see with Cr66 x2 is whether we have enough Cr66 :tpf:

JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 123
Joined: 16:19 Sat 19 Jan 2008
Location: NYC

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by JohninNYC » 09:58 Thu 20 Jun 2013

Hello. As you can see, I have adopted the Offley '66.

I am bringing a guest, and he would like to know what he can adopt.

So:

1. Does anyone have a another bottle to adopt? If so, for how much and which kind? (Last I checked, I think there was something for roughly 45 Quid.

2. Whoever is keeping count, please enter me in as a "+1"

Thanks.
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by RAYC » 10:39 Thu 20 Jun 2013

Someone probably needs to do a tot up and check whether there's enough room for further people before adding more - in particular, i think it needs to be checked whether it is possible to eat dinner in the main room rather than in the private room if this is going to work.

In terms of adoption, i don't know whether jdaw1's +1 has taken the other port you refer to but there might be a Niepoort 1966 available to adopt for EUR250ish - as a combined contribution with the Offley (split between two people), that's probably top end in financial terms but not out of line with what DRT is contributing and probably a good "last minute" option.
Rob C.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8154
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th - 7pm

Post by djewesbury » 10:50 Thu 20 Jun 2013

RAYC wrote:In terms of adoption, i don't know whether jdaw1's +1 has taken the other port you refer to but there might be a Niepoort 1966 available to adopt for EUR250ish - as a combined contribution with the Offley (split between two people), that's probably top end in financial terms but not out of line with what DRT is contributing and probably a good "last minute" option.
!
This would have to be ordered immediately, no? Or.. Has that already happened?
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

JohninNYC
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 123
Joined: 16:19 Sat 19 Jan 2008
Location: NYC

Re: Wimbledon Doty: 1966 Horitzontal - Bunghole, June 27th -

Post by JohninNYC » 11:48 Thu 20 Jun 2013

Hi again. My +1 is.not.coming
I actually meant to have worded in my post above the +1 knew i was.checking first before making a commitment for him. anyway given space limitations he.wont come.
Thanks see you in a week
John in NYC

"Burgundy makes you think of silly things: Bordeaux makes you talk about them, and Champagne makes you do them."-Brillat-Savarin

Post Reply