Thu 19th December 2013: The Unknown Shipper at the Bell

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Thu 19th December 2013: The Unknown Shipper at the Bell

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Printing now.
Beginning to sulk now :cry:
Think of how much faster you'll be in 2014 with both of your bionic knees. We won't be able to keep up with you.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:
No need to sulk. We'll keep you informed as to what we're drinking. Have you got Skype or FaceTime?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:
No need to sulk. We'll keep you informed as to what we're drinking. Have you got Skype or FaceTime?
And of course we are living in an age of new :tpf: sample jars. Will someone bring a handful?

EDIT: I am bringing two 10cl bottles of different malt whiskies for those braving a cigar later on at the Saffron.
Last edited by djewesbury on 23:31 Wed 18 Dec 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:
DRT wrote:
Both. And a bottle of something from 1970.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Are we doing this 100% fortified?

- or do we need some red juice for dinner?

~~~

As a somewhat sober opener to this year's event, I will be presenting a small selection of bottles that I believe to be fake. These bottles were recently offered (as genuine) by one of the world's most prestigious auction houses.

To date, their response to this revelation has been very disappointing. I have urged them to act correctly, and to inform all purchasers of bottles from this source that there is a problem with the integrity of some bottles from one of their vendors, and that they should therefore desist from further distribution until enquiries are completed.

As of this moment, I have no evidence that they have complied with my request, or have any agenda to do so

I would therefore ask all of you to visually examine these bottles and post a personal opinion of their integrity on both TPF and FTLOP.

I will do likewise. The auctioneer has had fair warning of my intentions.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

This sounds extremely interesting Tom. And it chimes with the thread I was re-reading earlier about the low gains to be made faking VP. I'm intrigued.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Decanter labels made.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:Are we doing this 100% fortified?
My #2 is a Sauternes, gifted by my brother.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:As a somewhat sober opener to this year's event, I will be presenting a small selection of bottles that I believe to be fake. These bottles were recently offered (as genuine) by one of the world's most prestigious auction houses.

To date, their response to this revelation has been very disappointing. I have urged them to act correctly, and to inform all purchasers of bottles from this source that there is a problem with the integrity of some bottles from one of their vendors, and that they should therefore desist from further distribution until enquiries are completed.

As of this moment, I have no evidence that they have complied with my request, or have any agenda to do so

I would therefore ask all of you to visually examine these bottles and post a personal opinion of their integrity on both TPF and FTLOP.

I will do likewise. The auctioneer has had fair warning of my intentions.
Send the auctioneer an email containing this link: www.ThePortForum.com/viewtopic.php?t=6804&start=79.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Is anyone visiting Seckfords before the Bell and able to collect a bottle of Rioja for me please?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

It appears I am in..woohoo...confirming that I will be adopting from Tom as it is late notice...and...if anyone needs a lift from Stansted or The Saffron Hotel then please let me know.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Cookie wrote:It appears I am in..woohoo...confirming that I will be adopting from Tom as it is late notice...and...if anyone needs a lift from Stansted or The Saffron Hotel then please let me know.
Hi Cookie, good to hear you'll be there.. I'm flying to Stansted this afternoon and will be getting a train to Audley End arriving shortly before 4.. Are you going to be around? I'll go and check in at the hotel and go back to the Bell then..
Daniel J.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:
Cookie wrote:It appears I am in..woohoo...confirming that I will be adopting from Tom as it is late notice...and...if anyone needs a lift from Stansted or The Saffron Hotel then please let me know.
Hi Cookie, good to hear you'll be there.. I'm flying to Stansted this afternoon and will be getting a train to Audley End arriving shortly before 4.. Are you going to be around? I'll go and check in at the hotel and go back to the Bell then..
I'll be arriving at Audley end at 16:23, and making my way to the Saffron (bus or taxi depending on availability). If it fitted with your timing and with Daniel, might we be able to share a lift at around 17:15 from the Saffron to the Bell (in which case I won't book a taxi in advance for that time)?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:
I'll be arriving at Audley end at 16:23, and making my way to the Saffron (bus or taxi depending on availability). If it fitted with your timing and with Daniel, might we be able to share a lift at around 17:15 from the Saffron to the Bell (in which case I won't book a taxi in advance for that time)?
Sounds good to me!
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

No flight delays. Weather clear after snow earlier on and a fierce storm last night. See you all soon.
Daniel J.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

In terms of comments on names on the review thread (link):

The Ramos Pinto 27 was more than just "late bottled" - it is a fully registered "LBV" in the modern sense (registered at some point in the 80s i think i recall reading somewhere).

The Graham 1982 is marketed as a "Single Harvest Tawny" - arguably we should respect the wishes of the winemaker on that

Whitwhams has an "H" and i think should be styled the "1880 Millennium Port". I would not be offended by the addition of an apostrophe, though there is none on the label!
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:The Ramos Pinto 27 was more than just "late bottled" - it is a fully registered "LBV" in the modern sense (registered at some point in the 80s i think i recall reading somewhere).

The Graham 1982 is marketed as a "Single Harvest Tawny" - arguably we should respect the wishes of the winemaker on that

Whitwhams has an "H" and i think should be styled the "1880 Millennium Port". I would not be offended by the addition of an apostrophe, though there is none on the label!
Thank you. Done.