ACPT Port tasting, NYC, March 9, 2013

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: ACPT Port tasting, NYC, March 9, 2013

Post by RAYC »

Glenn E. wrote:as he puts forth only a single SQVP and then a mix a "overperforming" and "underperforming" Vintage Ports. Though frankly, it's difficult to call any of the Ports on his list truely underperforming.

I hadn't interpreted Derek's comments about the D80, SW77 or FG76 as being "overperforming". (if anything, i thought he was saying they were over-rated)
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I, too, need to have braga-esque explained to me.
My guess:

braga-esque means something akin to a particular type of science fiction storyline (bizarre, requiring the suspension of belief, and where things are not all that they seem)!
A fine description :lol:

G-man and Glenn - half of the ports I have listed are from lesser vintages yet are significantly darker in colour to their siblings from classic years. The colour tells a story that all might not be quite as it seems with these wines. "Braga" is the black juice from a special sort of grape that does not grow on a vine :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:
RAYC wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:I, too, need to have braga-esque explained to me.
My guess:

braga-esque means something akin to a particular type of science fiction storyline (bizarre, requiring the suspension of belief, and where things are not all that they seem)!
A fine description :lol:

G-man and Glenn - half of the ports I have listed are from lesser vintages yet are significantly darker in colour to their siblings from classic years. The colour tells a story that all might not be quite as it seems with these wines. "Braga" is the black juice from a special sort of grape that does not grow on a vine :wink:
did you mean teh baga grape from typically the Barraida region, which was used during various times to add color to the wines? muhc like some of the cali producers were accused of adding "mega purple" to the cabs to give them a sweetness, color and body?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Not the baga grape, "baga de sabugueiro" (apologies for the errant "r"). Read page 13 of Mayson's second edition for further info :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:G-man and Glenn - half of the ports I have listed are from lesser vintages yet are significantly darker in colour to their siblings from classic years.
F76, SW77 & D80 v D85, F85 & T85

Then I'm still confused. Neither 1977 nor 1985 are lesser vintages. 1980 is only in the sense that it was a general declaration, but there's not much of note that's come from that general declaration. I assumed that "lesser vintage" meant one that was not generally declared, but evidently you mean something else by that.

I can see how FG76, SW77, and D80 could all be considered to be "overperforming" Ports. I would also consider F85 to be an "overperforming" Port, but at the very least I cannot see how it can in any sense of the word be considered "underperforming." D85 is a rock solid Port; I wouldn't be able to argue it as either over or under. I can make a case for T85 being underperforming, but a strong case can be made for it being "merely average." My case would rely heavily on the fact that "merely average" is underperforming for Taylor Fladgate.

edit: html repair
Last edited by Glenn E. on 05:20 Mon 07 Jan 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm obviously being too cryptic.

F85, D85 and T85 are all younger than the other three by between 5 and 9 years and are all within the range of colour that I would expect to see for a solid VP of that age. However, FG76, SW77 and D80 are all, in my opinion, too dark in colour to be made entirely from fortified grape juice that has been aged in bottle for 30 years+. That doesn't make them under or over-performing. It means they are an unnatural colour for a mature VP.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:I'm obviously being too cryptic.

F85, D85 and T85 are all younger than the other three by between 5 and 9 years and are all within the range of colour that I would expect to see for a solid VP of that age. However, FG76, SW77 and D80 are all, in my opinion, too dark in colour to be made entirely from fortified grape juice that has been aged in bottle for 30 years+. That doesn't make them under or over-performing. It means they are an unnatural colour for a mature VP.
Aha, it now makes sense.

My recommendation of GC77 stands, but I misunderstood the other end and F80 will no longer do. We could replace it with G85 to keep the theme on the younger end.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

So, what's the deal

we have two wines of the same vintage,

one where the color is clearly darker than expected vs. one of the expected vintage

would the fonseca 70 count too?

the 76's of other houses may be really difficult to spot.

we have alsot he dow 80s vs any other 80s.
the SW 77/ GC 77 vs any other 77s
F85/T85 vs any other 85s
any other candidates?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It doesn't need to be quite that specific, I think. Derek chose three that he felt were much darker than normal, and three that he felt were still within the range of what he would consider to be normal for a mature (or nearly mature) Vintage Port. All three of the 1985s on his list fit the latter category.

If we go with Derek's list, the FG76, SW77, and D80 are the "abnormally dark" category. We could add GC77 to the "abnormally dark" Ports if we need 8 bottles. Derek's list of D85, F85, and T85 as the "normal color" Ports can be supplemented with G85.

I have GC77, F85, G85, and T85 available.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I can confirm that Glenn now gets my drift :wink:

To help g-man I will explain that light/dark isn't really the issue. It is more to do with colour/hue.

For example - FG76 is inky-black, dense with a very dark brownish hue. It looks like molasses. F77 is a dark, dense ruby red with a slightly golden hue. It looks like a not-yet-mature vintage port.

What on earth could make that difference?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:What on earth could make that difference?
Squid ink? Are you suggesting a squid ink tasting?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

If there is room, I may be able to make it. G-Man--is there room for a New Jerseyan or two?

I would either have to adopt a bottle or acquire--please advise.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

just you?

I think we have 6 yes' so far.
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

This tasting (and meeting up w you) looks super interesting!

From the sound of it am afraid it may be a little over my budget, though.

Could you bracket it for me in that regard? Otherwise, which of the desired bottles are you still missing, so i can estimate how much that might run me?

All this assuming there would be room for one more!

Thanks, Miguel
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

The cost depends on what we are tasting and the food

typically it's 100$/food and the cost of the bottle depending on the tasting.

If we get more people i can certainly find a place for cheaper but I dont think we can escape 65$/person (tax and tip included) in manhattan

just FYi.

As with the bottles.
The candidates are
FG76
SW77
D80
GC77
D85
F85
T85
to be paired against a wine from the same/close vintage.
The fg76 might be hard to find a match

but we can certainly do the others
77s, we can do the F77 which would significantly increase cost, or do something like a Grahams/Warres/Sandeman
the 80s, all of the big houses are rather affordable: Taylor/Fonseca/Grahams/Warres
85, Grahams, churchills, sandeman
differentdave
Fonseca LBV

Post by differentdave »

count me in if space and I havea few 60"s and 70's lying around if not I will source.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote:As with the bottles.
The candidates are
FG76
SW77
D80
GC77
D85
F85
T85
to be paired against a wine from the same/close vintage.
The fg76 might be hard to find a match
I think you're still misunderstanding Derek's concept. The above list contains all of the Ports needed... no further pairing needs to be done.

Group A is FG76, SW77, D80. These are Derek's "abnormally dark" Ports.

Group B is D85, F85, and T85. These are Derek's "normal range of color" Ports.

I proposed one addition to each group should we need 8 bottles instead of 6. I proposed adding GC77 to Group A and G85 to Group B.

All of the Ports in Group A are older than all of the Ports in Group B, and so should in theory be more mature and therefore lighter in color. Given my experiences with all of the above except for FG76, however, this is not likely to be the case. The Group A Ports are all likely to be significantly darker than the Group B Ports, including the normally quite dark F85. We've even seen this in person, as we had both the D80 and the D85 at a previous ACPT tasting. The D80 was darker than everything in the lineup except the 2007 and the 2000 (I think... might have been the 2003).

Anyway... we currently have 8 bottles planned. We should probably start an attendee list in the first post, so I'll go edit that and do so.

Differentdave - Unless g-man or SushiNorth has acquired a bottle in the past year, we're going to need to source a 1980 Dow. We will also need to source a 1976 Fonseca Guimaraens. If you could take on the task of finding one or the other or both that would be very useful.
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Miguel Simoes wrote:From the sound of it am afraid it may be a little over my budget, though.

Could you bracket it for me in that regard? Otherwise, which of the desired bottles are you still missing, so i can estimate how much that might run me?
G-man is the reservation and food expert, and in the past his estimates have been very accurate. So figure $100 for dinner at a Manhattan steak house, plus a bottle of Port (or the cost to adopt a bottle from somone else). You should be able to find the ones we're currently discussing for no more than $100 with two notable exceptions: 1980 Dow and 1976 Fonseca Guimaraens are both likely to be more expensive due to their rarity. Whoever brings those will receive compensation for the extra expense.

So it will probably cost around $200 to attend unless you happen to already have one of the bottles in the theme.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:
Miguel Simoes wrote:From the sound of it am afraid it may be a little over my budget, though.

G-man is the reservation and food expert, and in the past his estimates have been very accurate. So figure $100 for dinner at a Manhattan steak house, plus a bottle of Port (or the cost to adopt a bottle from somone else). You should be able to find the ones we're currently discussing for no more than $100 with two notable exceptions: 1980 Dow and 1976 Fonseca Guimaraens are both likely to be more expensive due to their rarity. Whoever brings those will receive compensation for the extra expense.

So it will probably cost around $200 to attend unless you happen to already have one of the bottles in the theme.
125$ for a manhattan steak house =)

my sole bottle of fg 76 ... my preccciiiooouuusssss.
Lamont Huxley
Cheap Ruby

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I've got T85 and D85 to offer but it sounds like others do too...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I ordered some D80 that I found at a really good price this evening, so we're covered there now too. Unless the really good price turns out to be too good to be true. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Guys, the tasting sounds truly wonderful but I'll have to pass.
I look fwd to reading your notes and ensuing discussion!
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:I ordered some D80 that I found at a really good price this evening, so we're covered there now too. Unless the really good price turns out to be too good to be true. :wink:
should we throw in wines of same vintage that are normal colored as oppose to an 85 mini horizontal?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Fyi, I paid an appalling 153$ for my fg 76. let me know if people are fine with splitting the cost of that or shall i contribute one of the other bottles in the tasting.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Re: ACPT Port tasting, NYC, March 9, 2013

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote:Fyi, I paid an appalling 153$ for my fg 76. let me know if people are fine with splitting the cost of that or shall i contribute one of the other bottles in the tasting.
I think we are not likely to find another FG76 and I'm happy to share in the cost so that we can all try it. Since the rest of the bottles are now all likely to be under $100 with the D80 and FG76 secured, I think the average will still be in the $100 range.

I'm happy with a mini '85 horizontal serving as the "normal" Ports, as that will avoid having to pay for more '77s to match the GC and SW. But if others would prefer to date match, that'd be okay too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott