1958 SQVP and VPs why we are not doing a horicontal?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

1958 SQVP and VPs why we are not doing a horicontal?

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

after having been always suprised by their quality I would like to suggest that we do a 1958 port tasting in order to put this feeling into context or test. Clearly 1955 was a stronger vintage as well as 1960 but I believe some of 1958 are not only very respectable ports; they are very good indeed and are as far as I can see in their perfect drinking window!
This idea is based on excellent Delaforce and Royal Oporto we had at an recent offline (http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6340) and based on experiences at other offlines/tastings I had with Martinez, Noval, Warre, Sandeman, Graham Malvedos and Dow.
Obviously this is a bit of anal tasting since clearly a lighter year and potentially not everybodies taste or interest. Please let me know if you are interested. Due to the already very crowded calendar this year I am not sure we can slot it in early December.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1958 SQVP and VPs why we are not doing a horicontal?

Post by jdaw1 »

Which day in February do you suggest?

I have no 1958s at all, but would like to attend.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

I would like to attend and should be able to provide Guimaraens and Royal Oporto for just over £100.
Rob C.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I like the '58s and think that it would be a very good idea to hold a horizontal tasting. I have Warre which I'd be happy to contribute, but I would prefer to have this tasting next year (March, or April?) if that would work please.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Agreed - when is Tom back from his travels?

I suspect that this might be of interest to him (and that we, once again, may be semi-reliant on his generosity in making bottles available!)
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Which day in February do you suggest?
Bad idea. What fool is this?
AHB wrote:(March, or April?)
Much better plan.
RAYC wrote:when is Tom back from his travels?
Yes, for this reason.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi,
as said I was not sure if there is enough appetite for a tasting in December. With regards to March or April I am OK if it is not in early April (not shortly before or in the two weeks after easter). I need to go to Burgundy, Cote Rotie and Chateauneuf du Pape to pick up my wine. :D
With regards to ports from 1958 I have a few (Graham Malvedos Magnum, Martinez (! excellent), Noval, Delaforce and Warre).

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

WS1 wrote:(not shortly before or in the two weeks after easter)
Easter Friday = 29th March; Easter Monday = 1st April.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

WS1 wrote:Hi,
as said I was not sure if there is enough appetite for a tasting in December. With regards to March or April I am OK if it is not in early April (not shortly before or in the two weeks after easter). I need to go to Burgundy, Cote Rotie and Chateauneuf du Pape to pick up my wine. :D
With regards to ports from 1958 I have a few (Graham Malvedos Magnum, Martinez (! excellent), Noval, Delaforce and Warre).

regards

WS1
I would suggest that since the idea for a 1958 tasting was yours, why don't you choose a date that would be convenient for you when Tom is back in the UK and which is not too close to any of the other bigger tastings that we have. We can then all organise ourselves around your suggested date (can I request a Mon-Thu evening please? Weekend tastings are difficult for me.)

Tom - do you know when you are back?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

WS1 wrote:Hi,
Obviously this is a bit of anal tasting since clearly a lighter year and potentially not everybodies taste or interest. Please let me know if you are interested. Due to the already very crowded calendar this year I am not sure we can slot it in early December.
Seems like a good idea to me; I would like to attend, assuming I can make the date once it is decided. I would likely need to adopt, as I don't have any 58 to offer.

Phil.