The Port Forum Christmas Offline

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Jay,

Now we're talking...If its in San Fran, I'll be there! My money tree is quickly drying up this year, so I highly doubt I could make it to Tom's place :cry:

And Jay,

October 31st, Alex is down here in LA on work and we are having an offline at my place. Let me know if you can make it.
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

I'd be VERY interested in a Christmas offline, be it in the UK or The Netherlands! :) The USA will be difficult, budget-wise. The sooner a date is picked the better; as Ronnie pointed out, plane fare and hotels will be cheaper the sooner we book.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Sounds like there's TWO Off-lines developing.
Should we start to home in on one at, or near to Tom's, and to be fair, what sounds like a more picturesque (Sorry Tom) one, at Jays.
I'll keep buying Lottery tickets, and hope to go to both! :roll:
If it does come to fruition, I'd love to meet some new faces. Any of you guys out there, who haven't met any of us before, fancy taking the plunge? It was great to meet Ghandi at the last one.
We need a bit of new blood to talk to, for when Derek falls asleep! :P

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

The Bell is in walking distance of Audley End house - a former Royal Palace and one of the most beautiful houses on the planet.

Sorry, but the US of A ain't got nothing to compare!

Tom :D
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:Sorry, but the US of A ain't got nothing to compare!
I think it is also probable that the entire North American continent does not have any man-made structure still in use that is as old as The Bell :lol: 88)

Jay, I love the idea but, like Alan, I think I need a lottery win before it could come off :?

Here's an idea - why don't we try to organise a Live Aid style event with Offlines in the UK and USA on the same day? Anyone who can affoard the airfare could be our version of Phil Collins and do both gigs in the same day 88)

Stevie/Ronnie - please look for flights and give us options on dates. It would be great to have you over for this and I'm sure the UK based guys can be flexible around your travel plans. If both of you attend then I will have to throw the possibility of a 1975 horizontal into the mix as a suggested theme.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

uncle tom wrote:The Bell is in walking distance of Audley End house - a former Royal Palace and one of the most beautiful houses on the planet.

Sorry, but the US of A ain't got nothing to compare!

Tom :D
What, are you saying my house is not equivilent to a palace?

The USA has got nothing to compare? Tsk tsk...How about 1000 year old redwood forests, More lovely 14,000' mountains than you can shake a stick at, and of course, the view from my house overlooking the Pacific? I must admit I do not live in a palace, but I feel like I do. :D

I like the idea of overlapping offlines West coast USA and UK. Saves everbody some bucks but everybody gets to participate in the fun. When you guys in the land of no natural splendor pick a date, I'll get organizing here.

Andy, I'm willing to broach the topic of the 31st with Carolyn, but I suspect she and my daughter will be less than enthuseastic about the prospect, especially as I am without exception every year the one tapped to make the rounds with my daughter on that night. The 1st would be better but if Alex has work then I may have to pass. Thanks for the invite though!

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Checked real quick. Noticed almost all dates around christmas are still fairly cheap. Have to work out some sort of travel plan though, because LadyR has got her mind set on going to Florence with the christmas days. Not that I would complain about that of course... :wink: :)
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

The 1st would be better but if Alex has work then I may have to pass. Thanks for the invite though!
I promise not to work! I can manage not working.
Port is basically a red drink
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Has anyone got any idea of suitable dates?Do we each send a bottle to Tom's place beforehand.I have a few unusual bottles that would be fun to open.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Derek has already pm'd me with a few curiosities that he has in his cellar - if you want to do the same I'll try to work out a schedule.

Don't post them in the main forum, as it's more fun if people are left guessing what's on the agenda, and tasting blind.

As some people will want to pay in cash rather than kind, can you also let me have your opinion of each bottle's worth, so we can get a fair reckoning.

I have plenty of decanters, so if all the bottles make it to me in advance, I can get them decanted and properly presented.

For dates, I will need to check with The Bell, but for an opening shot, how about either the 5th or 12th Dec (a wednesday)

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

San Francisco is one of my four favourite cities out of all the cities I have ever visited - plus it has the advantage that I have family who live there.

I love the idea of an offline in SF with Jay and perhaps if we planned something far enough in advance then we might be able to organise a full transatlantic offline. Personally, I suggest August 2009 since I already know that the family holiday will have to route via either LA or San Francisco.

More currently, I can't make the 5th (will be in Ireland) but could make the 12th at the Bell. I'll have to check my list to see what I have that might be classed as "unusual". Must have something - anyone ever heard of Morgan 91?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Would it be a problem to organize it in a weekend? That would make it possible for us to fly in on a saturday and out again on sunday. Both the 8th and the 15th of December are fine with us.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Weekends aren't good for me as that is the only time I see my son.

Weekdays are far simpler for me to organise and I can do either the 5th or 12th. The 12th would be best if that's the one Alex can do as we rarely tempt him to an Offline as far north as Cambridge :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Alex, I would pencil you in for 2009 but even my e-mail calander does not go that far in advance. Suffice it to say that you are welcome anytime, just let me know in (slightly less) advance and we can organize. Maybe we can even throw in a little pre-tasting Bordeaux, you never know :shock:

For anybody willing to visit SF on Dec 12th, I would love to host a tasting, theme to be determined. I could go VP or colheita, and there is even enough time to acquire what might be needed (although 1908 might be a little difficult...how about 1934?). I'm also happy to do 10 year tawny's or something similar if thats what people are into. David lives ~1 hour south, and Andy 5-8 (depending on LA traffic), and I have plenty of freinds who would love to be introduced to the subject. If I can get a witness, I'll cross-post and gather more people.

The tough thing for offlines in the UK (for us on the West coast USA) is even though you can get a direct flight from either LA or SF to Heathrow, its a little more involved than skipping over from the East coast, both in time and money. And heathrow is not even close (at least in terms of time) to where Andy and I would need to end up to participate in any off-line discussed thus far in the UK :?

Jay
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

A Thursday would be ideal for me as I'm self employed I would take the Friday off as well for all the travelling and make a long weekend.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

If possible I would like to go for 12th Dec. Wednesday suits me perfectly and the prospect of Mr B coming that far north is too irresistable to pass up.

So, who can make Wed 12th Dec at The Bell? Current list of confirmed attendees:
  • Uncle Tom
  • AHB
  • Conky
  • Derek T.
Possible attendees:
  • Ronnie Roots
  • Lady Roots?
  • Stevie Kooij
  • Simon Lisle
  • The Yanks (incl. Jdaw1)
Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I'll take this as a done deal until I know otherwise, put me down.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

New list:
  • Uncle Tom
  • AHB
  • Conky
  • KillerB
  • Derek T.
Possible attendees:
  • Ronnie Roots
  • Lady Roots?
  • Stevie Kooij
  • Simon Lisle
  • The Yanks (incl. Jdaw1)
Ernest H. Cockburn
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

I was just taking a look at the calander and December 12th is midweek...do you in the UK get that off? What about work on Thursday?

I think that it is unlikely that I can attend in the UK, but I will drink some port that night and think of my slightly pasty brethren in the UK. If there is anyone who wants to join me, I hearby invite them. Andy, if that midweek thing does not work out for you, we can do a staggered off line on a Friday or Saturday night on either side of the 12th.

Jay
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I will be working on December 13, but so long as I have a wireless connection and a mobile phone signal then I can arrange to have an office day as opposed to a meetings day. That way I can still be productive but not have to travel anywhere or meet face-to-face with anyone on the 13th.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

do you in the UK get that off?
No, but holiday entitlements are generally longer on this side of the pond, and most people use some of it to take odd days off.

I volunteered a midweek date as AlexB has a problem with weekends

Tom
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'm looking into possible flight plans at the moment, and LadyR is looking into her schedule to see if the midweek thing is a problem. Keep you posted!
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tom, would it be possible for LadyR, Stevie and me to spend the night at your place? We can bring our own sleeping gear.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

International Fence-Sitting Expert in Training

Post by Ghandih »

Derek T. wrote:Please note: Tom's sofa is now fully booked :wink:

Derek
Derek, shirley you'll be wanting to bags a corner of Tom's kitchen, or perhaps a slot in the hall, propping up the hat stand? :lol:

Meanwhile, I'd like to enter the fray as a possible, on the understanding that the offering is lovely port somewhere in Cambridgeshire somewhen in December for something like £50-£75 (I sadly have nothing to offer as a genuine contender in the 'curiosity' bucket). Sorry I can't commit more fully, but my father's not especially well, and my father-in-law is decidedly poorly, so other events may overtake my preferences.

A work night is likely to be easier for me, and I'd plan to leave work promptly and not go in the following day. A weekend date might be more difficult, that close to Christmas. Especially as the wife's birthday is on the 8th. Maybe she'd like to attend, eh?

Ghandihhh
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I'll go down to The Bell tomorrow to make sure they're clear for the 12th, and then we can do a head count

Tom