The Port Forum Christmas Offline

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

We can now add Chris G + Guest to the list of attendees.

Hopefully we can also add Chris to our list of members sometime very soon :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Very good. This is shaping up to be quite a memorable offline already! 88)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

If you havn't met Chris G. yet, he is a great guy and can drink with the best of us.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Updated List:
  • Uncle Tom
  • AHB
  • Conky
  • KillerB
  • Ronnie Roots
  • Lady Roots
  • Stevie Kooij
  • Keith Gould
  • Chris G
  • Guest of Chris G
  • Derek T.
Possible attendees:
  • Simon Lisle
  • The Yanks (incl. Jdaw1)
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This has turned into a major league Offline. 11 confirmed attendees and a lock-in. We now need to turn our attention to what we will be drinking.

The suggested theme is "The Unknown Shipper and his unusual friends". The suggested cost for wine is £50-75 per head. The Unknown Shipper part os self explanatory in that we want some bottles that even the owner does not know what is inside. The unusual friends is intended to draw some wierd and wonderful ports into the line-up. We are not talking traditional VP's here, we are looking for people to throw in some gems that you just can't buy.

Anyone with anything strange that could fit this theme please email or PM Tom. Anyone who would prefer to just contribute cash and let others find the oddities please let Tom know.

Given the number of attendees I think we are looking at a substantial number of bottles here, possibly as many as 20. This just might be the biggest tasting of unusual ports ever assembled 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

To the attendance list add eternal joker Ray 'cookie' Cook, who was present last year, and badly wants to be here again...!

I'm thinking of a whip of £60 each (for wine - 90% port) for those who have got beyond Cruz Ruby on TPF, and £75 for others - less auction value of accepted contributions. Anyone unhappy with this - please PM me

The Dutch contingent have advised me that their duff '66 at the last Crusting Pipe offline has been replaced by something different, - which will be winging its way to me - I will deduct the postage from their whip, and will also find a modest bottle from my cellar to return to the merchant for his responsible reaction, and personal enjoyment!

At this point I'm thinking of about a bottle and a quarter of port per attendee (roughly - erring on the side of largesse..!)

The line-up (so far..) looks likely to include at least three wines that are pre WWII..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Wednesday 12th December, at The Bell?

Post by jdaw1 »

Wednesday 12th December, at The Bell, Royston Road, Wendens Ambo, Saffron Walden, Essex CB11 4JY? Maybe I should find an excuse to cross the water. If I were able to do so, where might accommodation be available?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What's the maximum number of people we can comfortably accommodate at an offline? I have a couple of friends I have been trying to persuade to come to an offline for ages and the Christmas one might appeal to them.

However, we are getting close to numbers which would mean we get a small sample pour of each port rather than a decent glassful to drink and enjoy over the course of the evening.

I think on that basis, I will not invite my two other friends.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think we have just about hit the limit for a meaningful port tasting. I would prefer not to reach the stage where we each have a thimble-full of 30 different ports to taste :?

That said, this was an open invitation and anyone reading this is welcome to join in.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

For B & B, the Toll House at Newport will be very convenient

http://www.bedandbreakfast-directory.co ... p?id=33389

The Bell's restaurant can seat 12 comfortably, or 14 at a squeeze, but we do have the option of eating in the bar area, and using the restaurant to sample the wines, so more could be accommodated.

Alex makes a good point about spreading the wines too thinly - we are probably close to capacity now.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

So it sounds like we are reaching a natural limit of 12? Is that too many? I hadn't thought about how that will translate into a glass. I also wanted a decent glass from any bottle, so you could revisit it through the evening.
There may be the odd withdrawal. I, for instance, expect to be there, but I have to go into work in a few weeks, and see what shifts they have lined up for me. If it's not already day off, I'll try and take one, but if a few have beaten me to it, I'll struggle. The odds are with me though, so fingers crossed.

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

LadyR and I will be chipping in money, the £60 whip looks fair to me. A group of 12 seems like a fair size to be able to have a wide variety of ports and still fill decent glasses of each one.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Include me out.

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:I think we have just about hit the limit for a meaningful port tasting.
Include me out.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

RonnieRoots wrote:LadyR and I will be chipping in money, the £60 whip looks fair to me. A group of 12 seems like a fair size to be able to have a wide variety of ports and still fill decent glasses of each one.
Lady Roots needa nother post to be able to qualify (She's still Cruz Ruby). Send her back in here to do some of her Tasting Notes, they always add a little something.
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I already notified her. I'm Dutch remember...
Lady Roots
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Lady Roots »

Would this one do it???? :lol:

OK OK, I'll dive into my archive to see if I have a nice tasting note somewhere lying around.

Looking forward to this OL. Hope this time I can remember what we've drunk.... Can't really recall the previous London OL...

KillerB: WE ARE OUT OF STILTON :lol: :D 88)
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

KillerB: WE ARE OUT OF STILTON
Crikey. I still have some of the Gouda-esque stuf. It's great but I can only eat so much at a time.

I had remembered that you were Dutch which is why I thought that it was so important.
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Don't worry, we didn't eat that whole chunk all by ourselves. We made a lot of people happy with it. And indeed, for the time the cheese lasted, almost everything we ate had something with stilton in it.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I'm sorry but I'll have to miss this one.I really wanted go if it had been a Thursday or Friday I would have gone.I'll send Tom something through the post to at least be there in spirit.(brandy that is).
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Simon Lisle wrote:I'm sorry but I'll have to miss this one.I really wanted go if it had been a Thursday or Friday I would have gone.I'll send Tom something through the post to at least be there in spirit.(brandy that is).
What a shame. We'll squeeze you in, so if anything changes...
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Unfortunately, with dates, we can't please everyone - I look forward to meeting you another time Simon - your modesty speaks volumes..!

Tom
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Thank you Tom for your kind words We will meet hopefully quite soon.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What does the current guest list for the Xmas offline look like? I've just booked my overnight stay in a splendid little hostelry a couple of miles from the Bell (almost within walking distance!) and I'm now all set for the event.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Updated List:
  • Uncle Tom
  • AHB
  • Conky
  • KillerB
  • Ronnie Roots
  • Lady Roots
  • Stevie Kooij
  • Keith Gould
  • Chris G
  • Guest of Chris G
  • Derek T.
Possible attendees:
  • Members who have joined since 27 Sep 07
Confirmed Non-attendees:
  • Simon Lisle
  • Jdaw
Ernest H. Cockburn
StevieCage
Fonseca LBV

Post by StevieCage »

Looking forward to it...I will miss the (pre-)Christmas dinner of the company I work for because of this offline, but if I have to choose between a party with or without Port: easy! See you all soon! 88)