The Port Forum Offline #2 - 1st Sep 2007

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

My - you've all been quiet today!

Dare I suggest the mother of all hangovers.. :D

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm about. Had a great time last night. But like normal, I failed miserably to take any decent notes.

I think I'm developing a real soft spot for 85's. The Fonseca was marvelous, and will surely improve a bit as well. I'm struggling to remember a poor 85 I've ever had.
The 20 was like a frail uncle, who used to be the life and soul of the party, but was now a little past it's best, but your trying desperately to ignore that. In respect for what it once was.
Great to meet Julian and Simon. Julians larger than life, and not half as finnicky as I had imagined. To be fair, though, no-one could have ben as finnicky as I'd imagined! :D
Simon was of good solid stock, as well. Stimulating company, and at the right times, as daft as a brush. I think the two of them are a perfect team. Simons' erudite charm, is the perfect foil for Julians exhuberance!
God knows what they thought of me!
This morning I also found out that Julian can eat like a horse, and that Simon struggled, but manfully past the Northern 'Morning After' test.
We also decided Dereks Liver's packing up, but thats another story. :D

I'll let the others expand on the Port side of things. But Debs and I hopefully re-engaged with a couple of established friends, and found a few new ones. Thoroughly enjoyed, A Bit Of A Do!

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Looks like you all had a very good time! Where can I order those t-shirts? Will you be selling F-Plan mugs as well?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

WOW, looks like all had a great time...and where is the link to all the rest of the pics 88)

And I can't believe Derek is actually sleeping...I hope someone woke him up and gave him a little more to drink :lol:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

six pints of water

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:Dare I suggest the mother of all hangovers
I felt fantastic in the morning, and even better after breakfast. Some combination of drinking excellent port and about six pints of water. Even though such post-event comments really belong in the review thread.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Well I missed something special which I could have made it to.I'm a bit of a magpie excluding the pun but I would have loved to have contributed.The guimarens 64 is a special port in my eyes anyway
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Watch this space

Post by jdaw1 »

There will be future tastings—watch this space.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Simon,

Hi. And it was a shame. There was one place left at the table, and there can never be enough people in the world, who can smile at my current avatar, and remember its real. :lol: The Port was even better! :roll:

Alan