55 @ 55

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 55 @ 55

Post by Andy Velebil »

No objections from me if everyone doesn't mind waiting.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:But there may be a queue of Americans at the door of the Crusting Pipe for this one who had their name down for the diagonal :roll:
Me, for one. :P

I haven't made any travel arrangements for the 2010 Harvest Tour yet, though, so could skip the UK portion of the after-trip if I'm not part of this tasting.

But this is weird... I could swear that I signed up for this tasting, yet I see no reply from me in this thread. Hrm... my memory seems to be playing tricks on me again.
Glenn Elliott
VJR
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by VJR »

What's the problem with "mammoth tasting overload". I actually quite like the notion of that. :mrgreen:
But I do agree that the annual highlights should not be compressed into a couple of weeks.
Cheers, victor
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

List of people updated, in order of being requested. Including two ‟Special Guest”s there are now fourteen.

Axel: who are the special guests? Are they really ‘special’, or are they placeholders for people who haven’t replied?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Please put me on the waiting list, at least until such point as I have worked out travel arrangements for the 2010 Harvest Tour. If I haven't moved into the official part of the list by the time I make those arrangements then I'll make the decision regarding whether or not to loop home through London based on cost.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:Please put me on the waiting list
Done.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hmm, I thought in May I managed successfully to get Enrico added to the list. It looks this was not the case. Can he please be added to the waiting list?

Overall i think we have by far to much interest and not enough places. Hence I would like to suggest to do the tasting twice.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Somebody started a second list, with ensuing confusion.

Enrico added to the main list. VJR: sorry, he was much before you, and that has pushed you into the waiting list.

Apologies for my administrative error.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Perhaps, if the waiting list reaches 10 people, we could expand the tasting to two bottles of each wine (if we can get hold of two bottles from each shipper).
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
VJR
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by VJR »

That's fine, no need to apologize -
I'm sure it will work out for all.
Cheers, victor
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Perhaps, if the waiting list reaches 10 people, we could expand the tasting to two bottles of each wine (if we can get hold of two bottles from each shipper).
Would it be helpful to suggest that we could change the title of this tasting to "Magnums of 55@55"? :nirvana:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Derek,

this is fine by me; however I can only add Mags from the vintage 1955 from Grahams. Have not come accross others so far. Would have bought them since sometimes normal bts just go too quickly. I am sure Jdaw1 and you understand/are appreciative ;-) :lol:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not from me. We are in danger of "Mammoth Tasting Overload" if we plan too many big ones close together. But there may be a queue of Americans at the door of the Crusting Pipe for this one who had their name down for the diagonal
Exactly. I was counting on the original theme for that Saturday night, turned into Friday night. This is the first I've seen that it is now postponed until 2011 and that this tasting is inserted instead. I have '55s to ante up too, although after a week in Portugal, it would probably be easier to just pay for bottles instead of having them so shaken up and not showing well. So now that the Big Diagonal theme that AHB was planning has changed, do we just lose our spots?

Time to read page 2. :)
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Although I have Magnums back to 1935, 1955 is not one of the vintages I own. Please do add me to a waiting list, however this seems quite odd that we had a tasting arranged and now it is put off by a full year and that those on that list are not automatically transfered over to another tasting exchanged for the same night. :?:

There are at least four or five of us that I can think of (in no particular order):

Andy V.
Glenn E.
Nicos N.
Marc J.
Roy H.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Roy - are you sure you're not mixing up with this one? That's been postponed a year and all apart from Marc are on it, whilst Marc is on this one.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think there is general confusion around these tastings due to an off-line debate that happened a week or so ago. I'm not sure how it has all been resolved but watch this space.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Derek. I'll stop back to check here.
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

Hello all,

I could have sworn that I had registered an interest in this previously. Is it possible that I did and it got lost, or am I simply wrong? It's been known to happen. Please could I hop on the list, at any rate?

I've whizzed through the postings and couldn't find a date - presumably this should be done this year?! I like the idea of a formal affair, which makes the RAF club the obvious venue for me.

A parallel tasting with two bottles of each would clearly resolve the issue of many interested parties, and add an extra frisson of interest, if we can source each shipper's pair from different sources. If one bottle is substandard, we have a control against which to compare it. However, I concede that it will deplete the collective team cellars. I confess that, pretty much as usual, my cellar would sadly remain unaffected, not being blessed by 55s. I hope I could find a bottle to sponsor.

If we did expand to a double bottle tasting, and it happens towards the end of the year, I might even be able to persuade Mrs Ghandih to attend, if there were still spaces. She likes her ports, does the missus, and, with a long run up, we might be able to organise sufficient baby-minding cover. Just a thought.

Cheers all,

Ghandih
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

One more for the waiting list, please!
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I am not sure how I missed this one....unless I am the special guest!...No?...OK then can you put me on the wait list please.

If the wait list is long enough perhaps a paralell tasting could be arranged...any thoughts?

Cookie
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Cookie wrote:If the wait list is long enough perhaps a paralell tasting could be arranged...any thoughts?
The options that have already been suggested in the event of a long waiting list are:
  1. Two bottles of each vintage
  2. Magnums
Whilst option 2 would be fun, option 1 is perhaps more realistic given that AHB is insisting that this should be a complete vertical of every shipper who declared 1955.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

Thank you...so... any thoughts on a paralell tasting ?

Surely the wait list can do the same ...if not better...then do we compare?...of course we do....this way we pull the best of the 55's from yours and the best of the 55's from the wait list and have a very comparitive tasting..we will probably end up drinking the same wine...thus a definitive answer...simples! :D