Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:I see no problem with this, but also little likelihood of use.
This seems to be the consensus.

I like a PDF to have a route home, so that if it appears on another website, as they do, a user has a pointer back to whence it came. A link to just the review thread, or even the planning thread, suffices for that. So the full set of TN threads is a little work (even though only a little) for less gain.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

As the 1975 horizontal was ending, Tom was calculating the damage. Some people had brought Port, most hadn’t, and there was the cost of the food. Tom looked up from his scribbling and asked that, to help do this, there be an accounting page.

Sure. But what should it be?
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

jdaw1 wrote:As the 1975 horizontal was ending, Tom was calculating the damage. Some people had brought Port, most hadn’t, and there was the cost of the food. Tom looked up from his scribbling and asked that, to help do this, there be an accounting page.

Something like this perhaps.
Picture1s.jpg
Picture1s.jpg (30.44 KiB) Viewed 37594 times
The bottles contribution line is completed at the start of the evening, a per person average computed (in this case 41.50), and this is also completed in the bottle cost line. Once the bill arrives, the meal cost per person is completed. Finally the calculation is made column by column for who owes/is owed.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Something like that would be very helpful - thankyou..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

In the voting sheets, there is one column per name (example on right). This arrangement was chosen partly because, happily, we typically have more wines than people. This is the same arrangement as Mike’s spreadsheet.

But the Accounting page has only a few fields per name, so it seems more natural to have one name per row rather than one name per column, which is the transpose of Mike’s spreadsheet. Objections?

Draft parameters:

Code: Select all

/AccountingNumCopies 1 def

/AccountingTopText (Accounting) def

/AccountingColumnTitles [  % Array of even length, alternately header for group of columns, and array of those columns' headers
[
	(Bestowals)  [ (Wine) ]
	(Costs)      [ (Food &c)  (Wines) ]
	(Settlement) [ (Owes) (Is owed) [(P) /quoteright {-0.08 Kern} (d?)] ]
] def

/AccountingColumnRelativeWidths [ 4 4 4 4 4 1 ] def

/AccountingExtraRows [ () (Total) () ] def
Comment welcomed. Notes follow.

AccountingNumCopies: Inserted following Flash’s suggestion three posts below.

AccountingTopText: must be a parameter to allow non-English possibilities.

AccountingColumnTitles: In the instance in which a group of columns has only one column, the group’s column title should be short: hence “Bestowals” rather than “Contributions”. Do suggest better. Also, should there be a few columns with blank titles? If so, within the groups already present, or in a new blank group?

AccountingColumnRelativeWidths: allows “P’d?” column to ne narrow, holding no more than a tick.

AccountingExtraRows: extra rows under those of the names, to cope with extra people, sub-calculations, changes of mind, &c.

Is this wanted? Is this what is wanted?
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:As the 1975 horizontal was ending, Tom was calculating the damage. Some people had brought Port, most hadn’t, and there was the cost of the food. Tom looked up from his scribbling and asked that, to help do this, there be an accounting page.

I would suggest it should not be. Several reasons:
- During a tasting is not the best time to do the calculation (note the accuracy of voting summations).
- This is only really relevant for larger tastings where either a large amount of wine comes from a subset of the individuals, or there is significant disparity due to some bringing much older wines. In previous tastings (at least some of those I have organised) some people have been very generous in providing their (significant) contribution either as "if this covers me, I don't want anything more for it" or at very low cost. Such gentlemanly behaviour is appreciated and should not be discouraged (and yes I think group analysis might do so).
- Given such variations, a spreadsheet is more reliable.
- During a tasting is not the best time to do the calculation (I know, I said it already, but it's the most important reason).
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

PhilW wrote:- During a tasting is not the best time to do the calculation (I know, I said it already, but it's the most important reason).
Translated into post-tasting speak:

- doing the calcing-thing not now right. Hey is that bottle empty?

I have no objections, but likely wouldn't use the function. If there are remunerations to be made, I calculate and distribute them prior to the event (and bring a copy with me).
Glenn Elliott
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

PhilW wrote:

I would suggest it should not be. Several reasons:
- During a tasting is not the best time to do the calculation (note the accuracy of voting summations).
- This is only really relevant for larger tastings where either a large amount of wine comes from a subset of the individuals, or there is significant disparity due to some bringing much older wines. In previous tastings (at least some of those I have organised) some people have been very generous in providing their (significant) contribution either as "if this covers me, I don't want anything more for it" or at very low cost. Such gentlemanly behaviour is appreciated and should not be discouraged (and yes I think group analysis might do so).
- Given such variations, a spreadsheet is more reliable.
- During a tasting is not the best time to do the calculation (I know, I said it already, but it's the most important reason).
I'm not sure it's such a bad thing. I agree this is only really relevant for the bigger tastings with an imbalance in bottle provision - the sheet can be an optional, like many others in the software. It is true that attempting the calculations during, or at the end of the tasting could lead to error, however that is not caused by having a sheet available. It happens because 13 or 14 people are standing around with cash/cards in their hand trying to be helpful and make a fair contribution. Sheet or no sheet, Tom found himself needing to undertake difficult maths at a less that ideal time - the sheet could only have helped I believe! And there is nothing to stop gentlemanly contribution continuing, which is always appreciated :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:the sheet can be an optional, like many others in the software.
jdaw1, in editing his post four above, wrote:

Code: Select all

/AccountingNumCopies 1 def

AccountingNumCopies: Inserted following Flash’s suggestion three posts below.
There would also have to be administrative parameters such as PageOrderingAccounting, and perhaps others.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

If one has all the numbers to hand in advance, then a computation at a sober moment is preferable, but that's only possible at a minority of events - the food bill is usually variable, and late additions and deletions to the wine list are not uncommon.

A simple computation sheet would therefore assist..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Experience tells me that shared costs should be calculated, notified and settled in advance of large structured tastings. If people then decide to bring extras or not show up that is their choice. Ideally the bottles should also be collected in advance to eliminate the problem of late withdrawals or no shows on the day.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:… not the best time to do the calculation …
… a spreadsheet is more reliable…
DRT wrote:… should …
I agree with both of you.
flash_uk wrote:… optional…
… Sheet or no sheet, Tom found himself needing to undertake difficult maths at a less that ideal time - the sheet could only have helped …
uncle tom wrote:If one has all the numbers to hand in advance, then a computation at a sober moment is preferable, but that's only possible at a minority of events - the food bill is usually variable, and late additions and deletions to the wine list are not uncommon.

A simple computation sheet would therefore assist..
I agree that this is alien to Planet Should, and really belongs on Asteroid Helpful. Which is a yes, partly grudging. Would it be sensible for the default to be that it appears if the length of Names is ≥7?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I don't think what appears to have happened to Tom this time should be encouraged.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Do you believe that the existence of an Accounting sheet on the placemats would materially discourage or disincentivise early administration?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yes. "I'll sort it out on the night" could become the normal behaviour.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:"I'll sort it out on the night" could become the normal behaviour.
Why the conditional mood? With very few exceptions, we do attempt to “sort it out on the night”. It has been suggested that if the Accounting page exists, we would attempt it neither more nor less often — i.e., it would remain “the normal behaviour” — but might be done more accurately.

Do you agree with these assertions?

† So far this year, I recall only the 1985 horizontal in which finances were computed in advance. And even those were altered on the night.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Admittedly, I have not been to many tastings recently. Normal behaviour for this part of the organisation appears to have changed. As I am unlikely to organise a major tasting in the foreseeable future my view on the matter is of little or no significance.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Admittedly, I have not been to many tastings recently. Normal behaviour for this part of the organisation appears to have changed.
For the verticals, in which a minority of bottles were the majority of the cost, accounting needs more attention. We seem to have been doing horizontals recently.
DRT wrote:As I am unlikely to organise a major tasting in the foreseeable future my view on the matter is of little or no significance.
The matter is settled democratically, by a weighted vote, in which my vote is the only one with non-zero weight. Good reasoning is what matters; not whether you will organise a tasting.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please comment:

(Edited to update image.)
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

The accounts page looks good to me. Presumably with 4 people at the test tasting, it was not put to use?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote:Presumably with 4 people at the test tasting, it was not put to use?
Correct. My home printer isn’t happy, and I wanted to see a page — which has resulted in some minor improvements to the aesthetic.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

How many glasses can sensibly go on one sheet of /USL2 = US Ledger = 17″×11″? This has been discussed on :ftlop2014:. As a test Eric Menchen printed this test PDF (which has pages of 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, and 21 glasses), and has posted photographs of glasses on these 17″×11″ pages. Answer: sixteen.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:How many glasses can sensibly go on one sheet of /USL2 = US Ledger = 17″×11″? This has been discussed on :ftlop2014:. As a test Eric Menchen printed this test PDF (which has pages of 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, and 21 glasses), and has posted photographs of glasses on these 17″×11″ pages. Answer: sixteen.
Surely this depends on which style of glasses are used?
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Surely this depends on which style of glasses are used?
Yes.
[url=http://fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/viewtopic.php?p=127383#p127383]On :ftlop2014:[/url] Eric Menchen wrote:I used a Schott Zwiesel SIZA Port Wine Glass. I think this the same as an IVDP glass. It has a squared stem with a notch in it. The base diamter is 2¾", whereas the bowl appears to have a maximum diameter of 2½".
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

The SZ has a larger base than the INAO tasting glass. I have held tastings with both 18 and 20 INAO glasses on /USL2 and it works fine. Examples, in fact, can be seen in Roy's most recent newsletter.
Glenn Elliott