LBVs: New York, Thursday 8th May 2008?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

the 82 warres Lbv is on order and should be coming in on monday.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

tell me what bottles we’re having

Post by jdaw1 »

OK, I reckon we are just five people then:
  1. Julian;
  2. Jay;
  3. Jeff;
  4. Eric;
  5. Dave (different).
Do others agree with my counting?

Next, tell me what bottles we’re having so that I can make placemats before moving apartment.
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

Niepoort 1992 and Churchill 1990.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Two bottles only?! Oh dear, we have fallen on hard times.

Post by jdaw1 »

Two bottles only?! Oh dear, we have fallen on hard times.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

i'll bring a dry red for dinner to celebrate the belated birthday =)
EricD
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by EricD »

I can bring a Javali 2001 and a Castelinho 1997. If my friend Eric wishes to join he can bring a Fonseca 2001. I will speak to him today and see if he can make it.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

We should buy the dry reds from the restaurant.

Post by jdaw1 »

We should buy the dry reds from the restaurant.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Port quantities are still light.

Post by jdaw1 »

Port quantities are still light. I have no LBVs, so am happy to adopt or share cost or something.
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

Five bottles for five people is light? Is David bringing an LBV?

One other thought: if there are only five of us, I would be happy to host this at my home in Carroll Gardens, which is 1/2 block from the F train, rather than going to the upper West Side, where none of us (?) now live and is (at least for me) a long subway ride.

Jeff had once suggested, before the LBV became a substitute for the O&O tasting, that we make the LBV tasting a potluck. If folks were amenable to doing the tasting at my home, potluck would certainly work.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I’m amenable to either of those suggestions.

Post by jdaw1 »

I’m amenable to either of those suggestions.

(For those, like me, unsure of the meaning, Wikipedia defines Potluck.)
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

hey Jay, is the G train anywhere near you? While the F train does work, I'd prefer not to take the F train back through Manhattan into queens again.

Also, perhaps we can get something catered? I'd be happy to chip in for the costs.

I would love to perhaps cater from Grimaldi's or Di Fara's
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Post by jfacciol »

The G train is half a block from my home. Grimaldi's (once Patsy's) did not deliver in the past. Does it now? For those who don't know, Grimaldi's makes excellent pizza, or at least did so five years ago.

Di Fara's I don't know.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

they still dont but what we've done in the past is go there and pick up.

Heh i never realized that me and Jay are at exact opposite ends of the G line.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Could somebody able to contact DifferentDave…

Post by jdaw1 »

The PM I sent to DifferentDave a few days ago hasn’t yet been collected. Could somebody able to contact him by another means please do so, and find out his plans.

Five amongst five is at the light end. May I sponsor an extra from someone’s collection?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Could somebody able to contact DifferentDave…

Post by g-man »

jdaw1 wrote:The PM I sent to DifferentDave a few days ago hasn’t yet been collected. Could somebody able to contact him by another means please do so, and find out his plans.

Five amongst five is at the light end. May I sponsor an extra from someone’s collection?
if we're doing it at jay's house, i'd bring the dry reds i've mentioned before.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I have cancelled the booking at Bistro Citron.

Post by jdaw1 »

I have cancelled the booking at Bistro Citron.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

My friend Subir will be joining us for some purple sunshine too.

Can I trouble someone to pitch in another bottle?

Jay, is there a wine shop near you that perhaps we might be able to scour for some hidden treasures?
EricD
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by EricD »

g-man wrote:My friend Subir will be joining us for some purple sunshine too.

Can I trouble someone to pitch in another bottle?

Jay, is there a wine shop near you that perhaps we might be able to scour for some hidden treasures?
Jeff

My friend cancelled, so I can bring an extra bottle for your friend. I'm bringing the Javali 2001 and the Castelinho 1997, but I can also bring either a Pocas 1998, a Rozes 1994 or a Fonseca 2001 Unfiltered. I think this is the first time Fonseca has done an unfiltered LBV, and I'm kind of curious about it. Let me know which one you want me to bring.

BTW, I think Grimaldi's is a great idea!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Please could somebody make a list of what LBVs we’re serving

Post by jdaw1 »

Please could somebody make a list of what LBVs we’re serving. For the placemats, you see.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Niepoort 1992 and Churchill 1990
warres 82, fonseca 01, Javali 2001 and the Castelinho 1997
I'm going to sneak in a 79 bordeaux as perhaps the dinner wine (no guarantees on it's drinkability tho)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

the Rozès LBV 1994 as a supplement?

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:Niepoort 1992 and Churchill 1990
warres 82, fonseca 01, Javali 2001 and the Castelinho 1997
Which of these is unfiltered, which filtered? How much does each cost? EricD is bringing some (which being deducible from his recent post): is Jay bringing all the others?
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=13827#13827]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:Seen on the shelves of Manor House Cellar (61 West 23rd Street, ☏ +1 212 206 7900):
  • $80, Hutcheson 1980;
  • $67, Hutcheson colheita 1975;
  • $31, Rozès LBV 1994.
Do we want the Rozès LBV 1994 as a supplement? (Edit: just noticed that EricD has the Rozès LBV 1994 in his list.)
EricD
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by EricD »

I believe all of the LBV's that people will be bringing are unfiltered. Maybe we should throw in a standard flitered LBV for comparison. I also just recently picked up a Quarles Harris 2001, which is filtered. Maybe I should add that one.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

be interesting to do the two 01' filtered/unfiltered.

The warres I believe is unfiltered.
jfacciol
Taylor’s LBV

Hmmm

Post by jfacciol »

I'm contributing the Nieepoort and the Churchill. I just looked at both bottles and neither one says anything about being filtered, so I assume that means they are both unfiltered. (Do I have it right Eric?) I am indifferent on having a filtered LBV unless it matched one of the unfiltered brands. I am a bit concerned that the house taste would overwhelm any differences in taste due to filtered versus unfiltered. This would argue for tasting two Fonseca LBVs, for example.

I assume that we are planning on pizza sometime after the first hour to hour and a half. At this point, I would not drive. Are folks thinking of taking a car service to Grimaldi's and back? We could certainly do this. Another possibility is an Italian restaurant that is three blocks from my house (Savoia) and makes excellent pizza. They will also deliver or we could actually walk there to pick up the pizza.

A reminder of my home address and directions: … [Deleted by jdaw1. I’m sure that, on reflection, Jay didn’t mean to publish it in a google-readable place.]

Are there going to be five of us? I assume so as there has been no word from Different Dave. The attendees at the moment are

Jay
Julian
Eric
Jeff
Subir

Starting time? 6 or 6:30 pm? I vote for 6 but am happy to defer to those of us who are employed other than as a professor.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Hmmm

Post by g-man »

jfacciol wrote:I'm contributing the Nieepoort and the Churchill. I just looked at both bottles and neither one says anything about being filtered, so I assume that means they are both unfiltered. (Do I have it right Eric?) I am indifferent on having a filtered LBV unless it matched one of the unfiltered brands. I am a bit concerned that the house taste would overwhelm any differences in taste due to filtered versus unfiltered. This would argue for tasting two Fonseca LBVs, for example.

I assume that we are planning on pizza sometime after the first hour to hour and a half. At this point, I would not drive. Are folks thinking of taking a car service to Grimaldi's and back? We could certainly do this. Another possibility is an Italian restaurant that is three blocks from my house (Savoia) and makes excellent pizza. They will also deliver or we could actually walk there to pick up the pizza.

A reminder of my home address and directions: … [Deleted by jdaw1. I’m sure that, on reflection, Jay didn’t mean to publish it in a google-readable place.]

Are there going to be five of us? I assume so as there has been no word from Different Dave. The attendees at the moment are

Jay
Julian
Eric
Jeff
Subir

Starting time? 6 or 6:30 pm? I vote for 6 but am happy to defer to those of us who are employed other than as a professor.
I wouldn't be able to leave work until 5:30 and it takes about 45 minutes to get down there from midtown. Dave has not written back but I did give him a heads up.
Savoia sounds good as I don't goto Brooklyn often, I'm happy to try the other restaurants

[Edited by jdaw1 to remove the quoted Jay’s address.]