Lord & Lady Roots Virtual On/Off-line - 8th March 08

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Lord & Lady Roots Virtual On/Off-line - 8th March 08

Post by DRT »

Ronnie Roots and LadyR will be leaving The Netherlands on 16th March 08 to head to Oman for a number of years. It is fitting that we mark this occassion with a TPF Off-line. Due to lack of opportunity to get together this is to be our first, and long awaited, Virtual Off-line.

I have asked The Roots to set a date that suits their schedule in the lead-up to their departure. That date will be added to the title of this thread once known. LadyR is currently bathing in calves milk and cannot be disturbed so it may be tomorrow before we know.

We need a theme. Suggestions please?

Derek
Last edited by DRT on 20:44 Tue 04 Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I will discuss a date tomorrow with LadyR.

All our ports, except one bottle of Martinez 1994, are already in offsite storage, but I'm sure we'll be able to source a bottle once we agree on a theme.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

virtual offline?

how would that work?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Well, technically speaking it would be an 'online'.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

g-man wrote:virtual offline?

how would that work?
Theoretically at least, since we haven't actually held one, the idea is that at roughly the same time, everyone who is participating drinks their selected port and posts comments and thoughts on the forum. This means that we should be able to get a dialogue going on what we think of the ports we are drinking.

If I may humbly suggest, a theme of 1994 and the date of the evening of March 6th when Derek and I know that we will both be able to post well into the night since we will be drinking port together anyway!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Unfortunately March 6th won't do, as LadyR is having one of her goodbye dinners from work that evening. Other impossible days: this week tuesday, thursday, friday. Next week: monday (march 10th).

How about this Saturday?

The 1994 theme sounds like fun. I think I will try to find something else than the Martinez, as we've drunk quite a lot of that recently. Maybe a Niepoort or a Vesuvio...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This Saturday would work for me...but I don't have any 1994's in the house :cry:

A solution will be found :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

So, are we on for this Saturday and a theme of 1994?

Any other participants?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm with my son at a theatre play all during the day on Saturday but by Saturday evening I will be at home and in need of a drink having spent all day in Basingstoke.

Hmm. Basingstoke. Berry's have their discount outlet in that town. I can sense a plan forming...

Without going shopping, I have a choice from Martinez, Niepoort, Vesuvio or Warre. I would be inclined to open a Martinez as I have never tried one but am very aware of its reputation so would like to experience this for myself. However, it's never difficult to persuade me to open a Vesuvio '94.

Are we planning on opening a specific shipper or a different shipper for each person participating? I would prefer to open the same shipper, if we can, so that we can all talk about the same port and the differences we see in it, but I don't mind in the slightest if people would prefer to open different bottles.

Alex

RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

It will probably be easier for people to participate if we don't set too many restrictions. I'm fine with same shipper, same vintage, as we also have Martinez and Niepoort available, but I can imagine that not everybody has those shippers within reach. I think it would also be fun if we all drink a port from a different shipper, thus creating a virtual vertical... :wink:
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Could you get your hands on a Vesuvio 1994 in time for Saturday?

Alex

RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'm afraid not. I've been searching for that port for some time now, but in the vicinity of Utrecht, it seems like all '94 Vesuvio has miracously disappeared. Plenty of other (less popular) vintages, but no '94. :(
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think we need to settle for "Any VP, preferrably a 1994 and ideally a Vesuvio 1994" to maximise attendance at this on/off-line.

If some of us end up with the same wine then it's a bonus as we will have comaprative notes for posterity, but the number 1 priority is to send our friends off to Oman in style and wish them all the luck they deserve.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have updated the title of the thread now that the date is set.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Ronnie and Lady R,

its a shame that we haven't met yet. But a tasting in Oman? Well you should have lots of port (as well as lots of women, maybe a Harem) over there.

Im in Porto this weekend, but love to participate on Monday. The Vesuvio would have matched perfectly as the Symingtons announced that the 94 Vesuvio will be a wine, that they will issue at the fair in Porto.

If I may suggest: all the Symington's 94 are quiete open except the Smith woodhouse. The Grahams 94 would be my second choice after the Vesuvio.

If we could defer from the 94: how about a Niepoort 92?

All the best to you so far

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It seems that we are struggling to all obtain the same bottle of '94 port so the theme appears to be "Any vintage port from 1994".

So far, we have Lord and Lady Roots, Derek T, AHB and possibly Axel P on Monday. Is anyone else in on the Virtual Offline?

We could aim to start at 8pm UK time, 9pm European Time, 3pm Eastern Seaboard Time, Noon Pacific Time and Lord Knows What time in Kentucky.

Should we nominate the wines that we are going to drink before the day or just open and see what everyone else is drinking when we post?

Alex

RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I understood that KillerB will try to attend as well after his NY offline. And SSD will do his best to find a 1994 but is not sure if he will succeed. He might throw in a different vintage.

I don't mind disclosing what we will be opening Saturday. I've already given our range of (two) choices.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:It seems that we are struggling to all obtain the same bottle of '94 port so the theme appears to be "Any vintage port from 1994".

Alex
Though I can't make it, the suggestion by Axel P of "all the Symington's 94" sounds like a better idea =).

Would love to see how the same owner might "influence" the production at their respective houses.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm happy to disclose what I will be opening in advance, although I probably won't decide until tomorrow and then will decant it Saturday morning.

It will probably be the Martinez since I drank a Vesuvio '94 last year.

Alex

Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Post by Ghandih »

All,

I don't think I'll be able to make this, but it sounds like an excellent affair, and I hope it all goes well. No doubt we'll be able to read about.

May I wish the Roots' a safe voyage and happy landings in the sand. I trust you'll stay in contact?

Ghandih
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I'm recovering from a week's worth of plague I don't have a Vesuvio 94 but I'm sure I've got some 94's at home I'll see how I'm feeling on the night even if I have a sip.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Still searching...still in.
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Ours will be the Niepoort 1994. Looking forward to tasting this, as I don't believe I had it before.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm on my way home from Dublin with a Ramos Pinto 94 ready for tomorrow night :smile:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

So who is in for tonight?
Ernest H. Cockburn