Offlines ideas for 2008

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Berry Brothers’ Own Selection versus shipper-labelled

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=11999#11999]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:
In an enclosure to an email Tom Cave of BBR wrote:Berrys' Own Selection Vintage Ports

Supplied by:

1960 Rebello Valente
1963 Taylor Fladgate
1966 Warre
1970 Warre
1975 Gould Campbell
1977 Quarles Harris
1980 Warre
1983 Warre
1985 shipped by Smith Woodhouse
1991 bottled by Smith Woodhouse
1994 produced & bottled by Smith Woodhouse
1997 produced & bottled by Warre
2000 produced by Smith Woodhouse
2003 produced by Quinta de la Rosa

THC/ 2008
It isn’t clear whether there is a real difference between “supplied by†, “shipped by†, “bottled by†, and “produced by†, or just writerly variation. Except that ≤1970 BBR might have done their own bottling.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=12074#12074]Here[/url] AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=12002#12002]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:
In an email to Tom Cave, jdaw1 wrote:On that bulletin board a follow-up question has been asked. Are Berrys' Selections a relabelling of the original blender's wine, or are they -- in some way -- different wines?

Again, thank you for your help with this historical digging.
Tom Cave wrote:They wouldn't be ''relabellings'' necessarily - each vintage we taste a range from different suppliers and select a wine that is most suitable to carry the Berrys' label.
As yet no reply sent. Unless there’s anything else, I’ll just send thanks.
Nothing else from me. Interestingly, I've been told in the past by Berry's that the wine in their bottles is exactly the same blend as made by the shipper - that you get the same port in a bottle of Berry 1983 as you do in a Warre 1983, for example. While this doesn't conflict with Tom's response, I'm not sure it's entirely consistent either.

Perhaps a theme to carry forward to a future tasting...
Alex, unusually for him, seems to have forgotten that at the 1966 horizontal we had both Warre and Berry Brothers’ Own Selection. What other BBOSs do we own between us for Alex’s “theme to carry forward to a future tasting†? (Me: no more.)
I hadn't forgotten that we had those side-by-side in January. I've also had the '83s side-by-side and the '70 and '97s, although those weren't side-by-side.

In each case the wines were not the same, but I have not yet been convinced whether the differences were because the wines in the bottles was different when it was put in or because the wines in the bottles has been treated and has matured differently.

And although a side-by-side tasting won't answer this question, it would be fun.

I have BBR own label wines from '83 and '97 (in a half) - but won't have them for long as I tend to drink them fairly soon after getting them.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

AHB wrote:Andy

Don't forget that there is already an offline organised in London for October 8 (see summary here), to coincide with Roy coming through the UK after the harvest tour. Assuming that fits in with your plans, you are hereby formally invited!

Once you give us your first and last dates in the UK and let us know any other plans you have, let us know and we will organise a few things for you.

Alex
i am planning on being there after the harvest tour also, so the 8th of October is looking good for me so far.

I have nothing from 1908, so if that is the theme, I'll have to start looking for a bottle.

My only real plans are to meet/hang out with all of you and drink till I emulate Derek :wink: :lol:

Ok Ok, since i've never been to the UK, I will do a little sightseeing during the day...but first priority is hanging with all my Port friends. I am really looking forward to meeting those I haven't met yet (and of course seeing of you again too).

As soon as I firm up my dates in the near future you guys will be the first to know.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

ADV wrote: My only real plans are to meet/hang out with all of you and drink till I emulate Derek :wink: :lol:
Andy, give up now - you've no chance :twisted:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

But I will have a week of training before hand. I think 200+ ports will help me get my game face on 88)
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Andy,

Great to hear your coming over. If your only going to be London based, I'll try an make the effort and raid the piggybank again! Hope Roy's coming too. Now if you can visit any of our other fine cities which aren't based down South....I'll definitely be there, and throw in a British Policemans Hat for you to take back to the states! (Yes Alex, that is bribery) :D

Alan

(I would of course supply the hat anyway, but a mans gotta try...)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just point me in the right direction Alan. I'm sure its only a train ride away :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just updated the first post in this thread to try and capture some of the recent ideas that have been thrown around.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.