Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Alex M
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 148
Joined: 11:14 Tue 12 May 2009

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by Alex M » 09:49 Thu 25 Apr 2019

AHB wrote:
17:37 Sun 24 Mar 2019
UPDATE 25 April 2019
A date has been set, we will convene on 24th April 2019 to taste, discuss and debate as many 2017 Vintage Ports as producers are willing to provide.
Is that date correct?

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12286
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by AHB » 09:51 Thu 25 Apr 2019

Alex M wrote:
09:49 Thu 25 Apr 2019
AHB wrote:
17:37 Sun 24 Mar 2019
UPDATE 25 April 2019
A date has been set, we will convene on 24th April 2019 to taste, discuss and debate as many 2017 Vintage Ports as producers are willing to provide.
Is that date correct?
No, it's not. Thank you.
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

DaveRL
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 442
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by DaveRL » 17:09 Thu 25 Apr 2019

Yes please, able to do 25 June, and yes I will post tasting notes.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21600
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by jdaw1 » 20:20 Thu 25 Apr 2019

25th June: yes please.

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by rich_n » 11:38 Tue 28 May 2019

I have just been speaking to Dia at VWP and she mentioned this - I'm very keen to attend if possible! I will be up in London for work so will definitely make that evening available to join if I may.

User avatar
WS1
Dow Quinta do Bomfim 1987
Posts: 991
Joined: 23:08 Wed 04 Feb 2009
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by WS1 » 11:58 Tue 28 May 2019

If there is still space i would like to attend!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12286
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by AHB » 12:37 Tue 28 May 2019

WS1 wrote:
11:58 Tue 28 May 2019
If there is still space i would like to attend!

regards

WS1
rich_n wrote:
11:38 Tue 28 May 2019
I have just been speaking to Dia at VWP and she mentioned this - I'm very keen to attend if possible! I will be up in London for work so will definitely make that evening available to join if I may.
Plenty of space; you're both welcome to attend.
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by rich_n » 12:50 Tue 28 May 2019

AHB wrote:
12:37 Tue 28 May 2019
Plenty of space; you're both welcome to attend.
Excellent news, thank you! Very much looking forward to it.

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12286
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by AHB » 15:18 Tue 28 May 2019

rich_n wrote:
12:50 Tue 28 May 2019
AHB wrote:
12:37 Tue 28 May 2019
Plenty of space; you're both welcome to attend.
Excellent news, thank you! Very much looking forward to it.
Rich - remind one of us to talk to you about Skeffington in your quest for "bargain" Vintage Ports. And about Tesco / M&S / Sainsbury own label Vintage Ports. And about proper LBV Ports. All of these offer exceptional value for money for a tiny (perhaps indeterminable) reduction in quality.

See you in June.
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by rich_n » 17:36 Tue 28 May 2019

AHB wrote:
15:18 Tue 28 May 2019
rich_n wrote:
12:50 Tue 28 May 2019
AHB wrote:
12:37 Tue 28 May 2019
Plenty of space; you're both welcome to attend.
Excellent news, thank you! Very much looking forward to it.
Rich - remind one of us to talk to you about Skeffington in your quest for "bargain" Vintage Ports. And about Tesco / M&S / Sainsbury own label Vintage Ports. And about proper LBV Ports. All of these offer exceptional value for money for a tiny (perhaps indeterminable) reduction in quality.

See you in June.
Skeffington is definitely on the potential list along with Quevedo and Burmester, and I'd definitely be interested in hearing your views on the OL ports. I do love a good LBV, I've found several to be excellent "gap filling" ports including a couple of the 2011 unfiltered LBV ports (I still have a couple of the Croft waiting to be opened maybe next winter). Always happy to learn more!

Constandia
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 98
Joined: 10:07 Sun 27 Apr 2014

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by Constandia » 18:26 Tue 28 May 2019

Yes please! Would love to try as many 2017s as possible. I promise to post my notes! Thank you :)

Constandia
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 98
Joined: 10:07 Sun 27 Apr 2014

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by Constandia » 18:28 Tue 28 May 2019

rich_n wrote:
11:38 Tue 28 May 2019
I have just been speaking to Dia at VWP and she mentioned this - I'm very keen to attend if possible! I will be up in London for work so will definitely make that evening available to join if I may.
[/quote

Rich, glad you can make it. It will be great to see you there. Cheers, Dia

idj123
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 760
Joined: 20:54 Tue 13 Nov 2012

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by idj123 » 18:34 Tue 28 May 2019

How strange-I did post my availability for this tasting (and promised to post tasting notes) but I am either going blind or that post has vanished from this thread?! Can I be opted back in please?

DaveRL
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 442
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by DaveRL » 21:51 Tue 28 May 2019

You're not going blind, nor losing your mind. :) There was an earlier 2017 thread with an April date and you posted towards the end of it, perhaps after the new thread had been started?

idj123
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 760
Joined: 20:54 Tue 13 Nov 2012

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by idj123 » 22:30 Tue 28 May 2019

DaveRL wrote:
21:51 Tue 28 May 2019
You're not going blind, nor losing your mind. :) There was an earlier 2017 thread with an April date and you posted towards the end of it, perhaps after the new thread had been started?
Dave, you're right, I am not going mad (at least not yet anyway) I now see it in the discontinued thread -hurrah!

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by rich_n » 09:36 Wed 29 May 2019

Constandia wrote:
18:28 Tue 28 May 2019
rich_n wrote:
11:38 Tue 28 May 2019
I have just been speaking to Dia at VWP and she mentioned this - I'm very keen to attend if possible! I will be up in London for work so will definitely make that evening available to join if I may.
Rich, glad you can make it. It will be great to see you there. Cheers, Dia
Thanks for the heads up when we spoke! Looking forward to meeting you in person.

NickA
Fonseca Bin 27
Posts: 66
Joined: 15:11 Fri 31 May 2019

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by NickA » 08:31 Mon 03 Jun 2019

Could I be added please? Certainly I've written many a note before now, and have just worked my way through 6 16s so lots of relevant practice :-)

User avatar
Doggett
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 598
Joined: 17:40 Sun 20 Sep 2015
Location: Croydon

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by Doggett » 09:52 Mon 10 Jun 2019

I am both delighted and disappointed to have to withdraw from this one. The 2016 version of this was a wonderful tasting and I am gutted to no be able to compare with the 2017s, particularly with the back to back nature of the vintage declarations. But, I am delighted because we finally managed to exchange on our B&B purchase so I am completing this Thursday and welcome our first guests on Friday with all six rooms booked for 3 nights. In at the deep end, but just so glad to be swimming at all after the torturous process in getting to here. I hope it is a night of fine juice and look forward to reading the notes.

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2894
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by PhilW » 09:56 Mon 10 Jun 2019

Doggett wrote:
09:52 Mon 10 Jun 2019
I am both delighted and disappointed to have to withdraw from this one. The 2016 version of this was a wonderful tasting and I am gutted to no be able to compare with the 2017s, particularly with the back to back nature of the vintage declarations. But, I am delighted because we finally managed to exchange on our B&B purchase so I am completing this Thursday and welcome our first guests on Friday with all six rooms booked for 3 nights. In at the deep end, but just so glad to be swimming at all after the torturous process in getting to here. I hope it is a night of fine juice and look forward to reading the notes.
Congrats in advance - I hope the completion and your first weekend of guests goes smoothly; do they know it's your opening night? (and what port will you be opening to celebrate?)

User avatar
flash_uk
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3049
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by flash_uk » 11:49 Mon 10 Jun 2019

Doggett wrote:
09:52 Mon 10 Jun 2019
I am both delighted and disappointed to have to withdraw from this one. The 2016 version of this was a wonderful tasting and I am gutted to no be able to compare with the 2017s, particularly with the back to back nature of the vintage declarations. But, I am delighted because we finally managed to exchange on our B&B purchase so I am completing this Thursday and welcome our first guests on Friday with all six rooms booked for 3 nights. In at the deep end, but just so glad to be swimming at all after the torturous process in getting to here. I hope it is a night of fine juice and look forward to reading the notes.
Great news on the B&B!

Best of luck with the maiden voyage :CC0033: :CC0033: :CC0033:

DaveRL
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 442
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: RE: Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by DaveRL » 20:18 Mon 10 Jun 2019

Doggett wrote:I am both delighted and disappointed to have to withdraw from this one. The 2016 version of this was a wonderful tasting and I am gutted to no be able to compare with the 2017s, particularly with the back to back nature of the vintage declarations. But, I am delighted because we finally managed to exchange on our B&B purchase so I am completing this Thursday and welcome our first guests on Friday with all six rooms booked for 3 nights. In at the deep end, but just so glad to be swimming at all after the torturous process in getting to here. I hope it is a night of fine juice and look forward to reading the notes.
Fantastic. Really pleased for you. Time to open a little something to celebrate.

User avatar
Doggett
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 598
Joined: 17:40 Sun 20 Sep 2015
Location: Croydon

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by Doggett » 09:15 Tue 11 Jun 2019

Thank you for your kind words... there will indeed be some celebrating but probably of the tawny variety due to transit and not a full celebration until I have worked out poached and scrambled eggs!

idj123
Graham’s Malvedos 1996
Posts: 760
Joined: 20:54 Tue 13 Nov 2012

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by idj123 » 18:06 Wed 12 Jun 2019

Well done Simon-we will look forward to having an away tasting down in Dorset!

forest26
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 322
Joined: 19:32 Tue 25 Mar 2014

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by forest26 » 07:26 Sat 15 Jun 2019

Well done Simon
Looking forward to a few Port evenings...

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Tue 25 June 2019 - 2017 Vintage Ports

Post by rich_n » 17:24 Tue 18 Jun 2019

Since this will be the first time I'll be joining this group for a tasting I was wondering how far in advance will we likely know which ports we will be able to taste? This won't affect my decision to join for the evening, I'm just curious!

Post Reply