Warm-up for the BFT: Something nice from the 60s

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Warm-up for the BFT: Something nice from the 60s

Post by Axel P »

Capricas initials are VDSS.

@Julian: could you please split the two placemats into: one with the 7x 63s and one with the others. jdj?

Industry Guest is Elsa Couto (Init EC) who will bring Dalva Golden White Colheita.

Thanks and best

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: RE: Re: Warm-up for the BFT: Something nice from the 60s

Post by jdaw1 »

Axel P wrote:Capricas initials are VDSS.
Will fix this evening.

Axel P wrote:@Julian: could you please split the two placemats into: one with the 7x 63s and one with the others. jdj?
Six fits on A4, seven not really. I'll rearrange the A3 so that the 1963s are separated from the others.

Axel P wrote:Industry Guest is Elsa Couto (Init EC) who will bring Dalva Golden White Colheita.
Which year?

PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Request to cluster the F/S/T around the Av if possible.
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Then we pleaese leave it as it is. Please take the wines from the summary in the beginning. Dalva 63, Ian is bringing T66. Can you please arrange the wines that the 63s are on the right side and the others left. Thank you
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

PhilW wrote: 09:36 Wed 25 Apr 2018 Request to cluster the F/S/T around the Av if possible.
... and Phil's request
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Axel P wrote:Can you please arrange the wines that the 63s are on the right side and the others left.
If you insist, but why not by age, older on left, younger on right, 63s together in the middle?

PhilW wrote:Request to cluster the F/S/T around the Av if possible.
Will do.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

jdaw1 wrote: 22:13 Tue 24 Apr 2018
JB vintage wrote: 10:14 Sun 15 Apr 2018We will bring Feist and Sandeman 1963
idj123 wrote: 13:16 Fri 13 Apr 2018I have but one bottle of S63 which I believe to be in good condition and so in the absence of anyone with a bigger population of S63 volunteering then I would be prepared to bring this.
Please confirm that we have 2×S63. (I’m not objecting, merely seeking confirmation.)
Sten (initials SAI) is planning to take Sandeman 63 as idj asked if anyone else had a S63 to offer so he could bring something else. However, in Axel P's summary idj is noted for F66, but this is also a duplicate to forest 26's F66.

Idj, do you have other alternatives or should I ask Sten to bring something else?

I, Jorgen (initials JB) will bring Feist 63.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JB vintage wrote:Sten (initials SAI) is planning to take Sandeman 63 as idj asked if anyone else had a S63 to offer so he could bring something else.
Axel P wrote:Ian is bringing T66.
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

jdaw1 wrote: 12:02 Wed 25 Apr 2018
JB vintage wrote:Sten (initials SAI) is planning to take Sandeman 63 as idj asked if anyone else had a S63 to offer so he could bring something else.
Axel P wrote:Ian is bringing T66.
Perfect
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote: 11:13 Wed 25 Apr 2018
Axel P wrote:Can you please arrange the wines that the 63s are on the right side and the others left.
If you insist, but why not by age, older on left, younger on right, 63s together in the middle?
I think Axel is intended to have two separate flights, with all the 63s within one of those (in order to avoid splitting them, especially given Avery+components). This is likely why he was asking for 7+7 on separate sheets as preference.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Warm-up for the BFT: Something nice from the 60s

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:I think Axel is intended to have two separate flights, with all the 63s within one of those (in order to avoid splitting them, especially given Avery+components).
In which case, why not three flights: older than 1963; 1963; younger than 1963?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The placemats have been updated, mostly but not wholly in accordance with instructions.

Please verify the Dalva G. W. year.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

jdaw1 wrote: 21:50 Wed 25 Apr 2018 The placemats have been updated, mostly but not wholly in accordance with instructions.

Please verify the Dalva G. W. year.
Axel P wrote: 09:39 Wed 25 Apr 2018 Dalva 63,
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you.

The placemats have been updated, mostly but not wholly in accordance with instructions — and now in four flights. Axel: please confirm satisfactory.

(Date wrong, which will be fixed.)
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

How many glasses do we need to bring?
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

We are currently dealing with the glass issue. Otherwise 7. The Club also could provide some which are not perfect.

Thank you, Julian, for all your work up front.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

May I leave by bottle in advance at The RAF Club. To whom should it be entrusted?
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

We are flying in from Sweden on the morning of the tasting. We think it might be better to decant in the morning before the flight rather than mixing the sediment during the flight. We will bring the original bottle in any case. Does any of you have experience on what would be the best option?
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Gentlemen,

Axel asked me to look into the glass issue and despite short notice we can hire glasses for this event (Riedel port stems). The cost split per person for 7 glasses each is 13.2£. Please confirm urgently that you are happy us using the glass service as the glasses in the RAF club are not only not good for port (bad shape/design) they are usually not usable for port due to the very efficient dish washer arrangement they have reusing used water. Without extra cleaning the glasses the port is heavily handicapped. I need to get back to the glass service swiftly as otherwise it is too late.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

JB vintage wrote: 12:01 Mon 30 Apr 2018 We are flying in from Sweden on the morning of the tasting. We think it might be better to decant in the morning before the flight rather than mixing the sediment during the flight. We will bring the original bottle in any case. Does any of you have experience on what would be the best option?
Please open the port before you go to bed the night before your flight, let it rest overnight opened and just double decant into the bt the next morning after cleaning. :wink:

Your call but would be my suggestion as I agree do not transport and then decant.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

WS1 wrote: 16:08 Mon 30 Apr 2018 Gentlemen,

Axel asked me to look into the glass issue and despite short notice we can hire glasses for this event (Riedel port stems). The cost split per person for 7 glasses each is 13.2£. Please confirm urgently that you are happy us using the glass service as the glasses in the RAF club are not only not good for port (bad shape/design) they are usually not usable for port due to the very efficient dish washer arrangement they have reusing used water. Without extra cleaning the glasses the port is heavily handicapped. I need to get back to the glass service swiftly as otherwise it is too late.

regards

WS1
Hi Wolfgang; am happy with either Riedels or ISOs, and makes much more sense to pay for hire than to all be transporting glasses around everywhere. Yes from me.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Glass hire gets a yes from me. Transporting own glasses has a decent probability of breaking one or more, at much greater cost than 13.20!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

With only seven glasses each, pre-pouring will be impossible.

Do we free pour (which never works with more than ten people)? Do we hire some and bring some? Or do we hire the correct number?

I prefer hiring none or enough, but not just some.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Personally I would prefer to bring my 7 IVDP glasses rather than go to further (and unnecessary for me) expense in hiring. However, those that want to can do so.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

JDAW is right! Currently asking if we can have 196 glasses. Cost will be higher but I think prepouring is key as otherwise will go certainly wrong. Cost estimate I think for 14 glases is 20£ a head. Alternative if people bring their own glasses is we need measure glasses to go with the decanters as otherwise it ends in a mess assuming every body potentially brings different glasses.

regards

WS1
Mark Twain