Thursday 18th January 2018?

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
CPR 1
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 409
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by CPR 1 » 14:08 Fri 12 Jan 2018

sounds excellent, thank you Alex

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by AHB » 18:14 Fri 12 Jan 2018

One last request. Bar Douro only have around 60 glasses which they can put at our disposal. My maths says that 9 people and 9 bottles needs 81 glasses.

So you have a choice: be prepared to re-use glasses or bring 3 (or more) of your own with you on the day.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20497
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by jdaw1 » 18:34 Fri 12 Jan 2018

AHB wrote:Would people please plan on bringing their bottles double decanted. Although Bar Douro would be able to provide some decanters, it would be better to come prepared.
Or single decanted, into a proper decanter.

Everything else works for me.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20497
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by jdaw1 » 00:03 Sat 13 Jan 2018

The placemats have been updated.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15221
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by DRT » 01:01 Sat 13 Jan 2018

Gents,

There is a chance I will be in London on 18th Jan. I cannot commit to being there but wondered whether or not a gate-crasher with a bottle of something suitable to drink would be tolerated?

I'm happy to pay for and eat a share of the suckling pig if that is deemed to be helpful 🐷
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20497
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by jdaw1 » 11:11 Sat 13 Jan 2018

Somebody is getting stronger. Good. Somebody will have to atone for these calories with a few weeks of kale. Not so good.

If you were to attend, what would you want to have been written on the additional placemat circle?

CPR 1
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 409
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by CPR 1 » 11:55 Sat 13 Jan 2018

CPR 1 wrote:
15:57 Mon 08 Jan 2018

I plan to bring a bottle of Dow 80, bottled in 82
This has transformed into a bottle of G80, also bottled in 82

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20497
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by jdaw1 » 20:52 Sat 13 Jan 2018

Alex: how spacious is Bar Douro? Will we have room for 2×A4? Currently I have squeezed seven bottles onto a single A4, but when Derek reveals his ’82 that will become eight, for which a single A4 is insufficient. How tight are things?

forest26
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 249
Joined: 19:32 Tue 25 Mar 2014

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by forest26 » 20:55 Sat 13 Jan 2018

Alex - I plan to bring Croft 82 + Messias Cachao 82 (double decanted)

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15221
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by DRT » 11:04 Sun 14 Jan 2018

jdaw1 wrote:
20:52 Sat 13 Jan 2018
Alex: how spacious is Bar Douro? Will we have room for 2×A4? Currently I have squeezed seven bottles onto a single A4, but when Derek reveals his ’82 that will become eight, for which a single A4 is insufficient. How tight are things?
At this point there is a 30% chance I will be there. Please don't change things to accommodate me unless that percentage increases significantly.

That said, perhaps Legal-sized paper rather than A4 would provide sufficient space?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by AHB » 13:36 Sun 14 Jan 2018

DRT wrote:
01:01 Sat 13 Jan 2018
There is a chance I will be in London on 18th Jan. I cannot commit to being there but wondered whether or not a gate-crasher with a bottle of something suitable to drink would be tolerated?

I'm happy to pay for and eat a share of the suckling pig if that is deemed to be helpful 🐷
Of course you would be welcome to join us, but we're only having half a suckling pig which feeds only 6-7 people. You may have to buy your own suckling pig - or order a main from the menu like Ian is having the pumpkin.

Simon - any clarity whether you are able to get your childcare organised and join us on Thursday?
jdaw1 wrote:
20:52 Sat 13 Jan 2018
Alex: how spacious is Bar Douro? Will we have room for 2×A4? Currently I have squeezed seven bottles onto a single A4, but when Derek reveals his ’82 that will become eight, for which a single A4 is insufficient. How tight are things?
I've only vaguely seen the space before, having taken a quick glimpse some months ago. Space will be tight, it is described as accommodating up to 10-12 people for a tapas style dinner. This sounds to me as though that would be 12 people shoulder to shoulder with no space between them.

I plan to take stickies as a back-up plan, but if you can get all the glasses on a single sheet (even if US legal) then I think that would help a lot.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
Doggett
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny
Posts: 526
Joined: 17:40 Sun 20 Sep 2015
Location: Croydon

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by Doggett » 00:13 Mon 15 Jan 2018

It was momentarily looking unlikely, but I am pleased to confirm my place. I would also like to confirm my vote for suckling pig and that I will bring the S80 bottled in 1982. I shall look forward to seeing those coming on Thursday. Hopefully there is still room for DRT as it would be a fine way to celebrate the first half of his Strictly audition... for which I send you my very best wishes sir.

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by AHB » 14:06 Mon 15 Jan 2018

The list of ports being brought by people has been updated slightly following Tony's post, and now reads as follows. If DRT attends, the obvious bottle to bring would be a bottle of Offley 1982...

1.Max (but possibly only for a quick drink);
2.Irayna (Smith Woodhouse 1982, bottled 1986);
3.AHB (Churchill 1982);
4.IDJ (Niepoort 1982);
5.JDAW (adopting from TC);
6.CPR (Graham 1980 bottled 1982);
7.TC (Croft 1982, Messias Cachao 1982);
8.WS1 (Sandeman 1982);
9.SCD (Sandeman 1980, bottled 1982);

Possibles:
10.DRT

Not Attending:
11.RLC.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20497
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by jdaw1 » 14:22 Mon 15 Jan 2018

Ten glasses can squeeze onto US Legal. Alex: will you be able to print onto 14″×8½″?

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15221
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by DRT » 16:12 Mon 15 Jan 2018

The reason for my trip to London has now been brought forward so I will be down tomorrow rather than Thursday. Unfortunately this means I a unable to join you.

Enjoy.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20497
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by jdaw1 » 22:40 Mon 15 Jan 2018

The placemats have been updated. Please check.

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by AHB » 22:52 Mon 15 Jan 2018

DRT wrote:
16:12 Mon 15 Jan 2018
The reason for my trip to London has now been brought forward so I will be down tomorrow rather than Thursday. Unfortunately this means I a unable to join you.Enjoy.
I understand that there is a deadful train strike planned for Tuesday evening through to Thursday evening. You may, unfortunately, be delayed on your return trip due to the strike.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by AHB » 22:53 Mon 15 Jan 2018

jdaw1 wrote:
22:40 Mon 15 Jan 2018
The placemats have been updated. Please check.
They look good to me.

Could we swap the S82 and Ch82 so the two Sandeman wines are next to each other?
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 20497
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by jdaw1 » 23:17 Mon 15 Jan 2018

AHB wrote:
22:53 Mon 15 Jan 2018
Could we swap the S82 and Ch82 so the two Sandeman wines are next to each other?
Placemats: preferred to swap the two ’80s: if you object, will do your plan.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15221
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by DRT » 01:14 Tue 16 Jan 2018

AHB wrote:
22:52 Mon 15 Jan 2018
DRT wrote:
16:12 Mon 15 Jan 2018
The reason for my trip to London has now been brought forward so I will be down tomorrow rather than Thursday. Unfortunately this means I a unable to join you.Enjoy.
I understand that there is a deadful train strike planned for Tuesday evening through to Thursday evening. You may, unfortunately, be delayed on your return trip due to the strike.
That night have worked perfectly, had I not travelled down by car :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11870
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by AHB » 20:12 Tue 16 Jan 2018

DRT wrote:
01:14 Tue 16 Jan 2018
AHB wrote:
22:52 Mon 15 Jan 2018
DRT wrote:
16:12 Mon 15 Jan 2018
The reason for my trip to London has now been brought forward so I will be down tomorrow rather than Thursday. Unfortunately this means I a unable to join you.Enjoy.
I understand that there is a deadful train strike planned for Tuesday evening through to Thursday evening. You may, unfortunately, be delayed on your return trip due to the strike.
That night have worked perfectly, had I not travelled down by car :roll:
I don’t see how that’s relevant. Surely a rail strike will just mean everyone drives with the result that the roads clog up and you can’t get back to Sheffield until Friday.
Top Ports in 2018 (so far): Niepoort VV (1960's Bottling), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994 and San Leonardo Very Old White (Bottled 2018)
2017 Ports of the year: Fonseca 1927 and Quinta do Noval 1927

User avatar
WS1
Dow Quinta do Bomfim 1987
Posts: 968
Joined: 23:08 Wed 04 Feb 2009
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Thursday 18th January 2018?

Post by WS1 » 18:49 Wed 17 Jan 2018

AHB wrote:
20:12 Tue 16 Jan 2018
DRT wrote:
01:14 Tue 16 Jan 2018
AHB wrote:
22:52 Mon 15 Jan 2018
DRT wrote:
16:12 Mon 15 Jan 2018
The reason for my trip to London has now been brought forward so I will be down tomorrow rather than Thursday. Unfortunately this means I a unable to join you.Enjoy.
I understand that there is a deadful train strike planned for Tuesday evening through to Thursday evening. You may, unfortunately, be delayed on your return trip due to the strike.
That night have worked perfectly, had I not travelled down by car :roll:
I don’t see how that’s relevant. Surely a rail strike will just mean everyone drives with the result that the roads clog up and you can’t get back to Sheffield until Friday.
This strike could give you the opportunity to have a lengthy counselling with your life coach...... :twisted:

:nirvana: :lol:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain


Post Reply